Starting Over

Old Apr 5th 2006, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Once a blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting Over

Hi there,

I`m a newbie to this forum, so please go easy with me.

My family and i came out to Perth about 6 months ago. All in all we have settled in very well/quickly, considering the amount of change we have experienced.

On a personal note, one of my main aims when arriving here was to find a new and different kind of job/career, which seems to be quite common amongst many people emigrating. Unfortunately i have not been able to achieve this aim, and i find myself in a similar job to what i was doing back home (in IT). It seems that i have almost created the same working lifestyle as to what i had back home (i.e same old type of work, long daily commute to work etc)and i`m far from happy. Ideally i`d like to start over in a different career, such as an apprenticeship (Brickie/Tiler/plasterer that kind of thing, but at 36 years old i`m not sure if its too late.

Have any of you experienced these circumstances. Have you taken on an apprenticeship at such an age, or even successfully undertaken a dramatic career change. Any words of encouragement/experiences or advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 10:38 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting Over

Originally Posted by Once a blue
Hi there,

My family and i came out to Perth about 6 months ago. All in all we have settled in very well/quickly, considering the amount of change we have experienced.

On a personal note, one of my main aims when arriving here was to find a new and different kind of job/career, which seems to be quite common amongst many people emigrating. Unfortunately i have not been able to achieve this aim, and i find myself in a similar job to what i was doing back home (in IT). It seems that i have almost created the same working lifestyle as to what i had back home (i.e same old type of work, long daily commute to work etc)and i`m far from happy. Ideally i`d like to start over in a different career, such as an apprenticeship (Brickie/Tiler/plasterer that kind of thing, but at 36 years old i`m not sure if its too late.

Have any of you experienced these circumstances. Have you taken on an apprenticeship at such an age, or even successfully undertaken a dramatic career change. Any words of encouragement/experiences or advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.
There is a website that deals with apprenticeships but I have forgot what the url is. The big problem employers had with taking on adult apprentices was to do with wages. I'm not sure if the IR reforms will have changed this.

I would check out this website as it gives you work trends, training places, average income, etc:

http://jobsearch.gov.au

The other thing you can do is contact a centrelink office (ask for an appointment to see a vocational advisor) or TAFE info in Forest Chase in the city.

Good luck
Old Apr 5th 2006, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Once a blue
Hi there,

Thanks.
You're never too old. Get some info together and go for it. I'm sure you will be OK
Old Apr 6th 2006, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome

Firstly:-
I agree with WendyC - you are never TOO OLD for a career change - especially at 36 come on Be more positive and GO FOR IT! YOU have to make the effort, get out there and investigate your options!

Do you like living in Perth/being in Australia? Hasn't it changed your lifestyle in other ways that maybe make up for the 'same old type of work'?

Since being here - we have come into contact with so many people that move from job to job, state to state its incredible! Always chasing that dream - it can be done - but resilience, positive thoughts and effort needed as, obviously, can be hard, and you might not get what you want right away.

At least you have a job eh! and in the field of your 'expertise' I take it - you are one of the more ones lucky dont forget that Could be a lot worse couldn't it - now now, you know I'm right

Whatever you decide to do - hope it works out for ya - as the song goes 'Don't worry, be happy' (I need to listen to that one more often)

Gill