Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting out....

Starting out....

Old Apr 27th 2006, 3:58 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Starting out....

Hi,
I've been following your forum for a few days and have found alot of really helpful tips, but have got a few questions...if anyone has any ideas i'd be really greatful.
we are just starting out on this adventure, weve spoken to a couple of agencys, both have said the same..thankfully and they were both really positive...Were considering going it alone though without an agency???
Weve decided to go with my husband as the primary applicant, he'd get 135points, (hes in engineering, I'm in hospitality management). i only got 115. Weve been told thats quite good? the 135..

Were delving into the skills assessment, references are no problem, hes only had 3 jobs..(we'd be here for weeks tracing all my old employers)

Luckily his trade is really easy to describe in detail, just wondering though 'how much detail do you need to go into?' are we talking right down to the nitty gritty?
Also do you really need your GCSE certificates? Hubby cant find his, got his 'logbooks' and trade certificates etc...
Also I've still got a student debt...had a baby when i graduated and havnt returned to work..
will that debt affect our application?
I'm sure i'll have a million more questions as we go along...
thanks,
kat
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:06 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting out....

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Hi,
I've been following your forum for a few days and have found alot of really helpful tips, but have got a few questions...if anyone has any ideas i'd be really greatful.
we are just starting out on this adventure, weve spoken to a couple of agencys, both have said the same..thankfully and they were both really positive...Were considering going it alone though without an agency???
Weve decided to go with my husband as the primary applicant, he'd get 135points, (hes in engineering, I'm in hospitality management). i only got 115. Weve been told thats quite good? the 135..

Were delving into the skills assessment, references are no problem, hes only had 3 jobs..(we'd be here for weeks tracing all my old employers)

Luckily his trade is really easy to describe in detail, just wondering though 'how much detail do you need to go into?' are we talking right down to the nitty gritty?
Also do you really need your GCSE certificates? Hubby cant find his, got his 'logbooks' and trade certificates etc...
Also I've still got a student debt...had a baby when i graduated and havnt returned to work..
thanks,
kat
Hi Kat,
I'm no expert but yourpoints do sound good.

Your hubby will need to find his documentation or go back to the issuing authority and past/present employers.

I wouldn't pay an agent to get a visa for OZ unless your case is borderline.

Check these websites for all your immigration info:

www.dimia.gov.au

www.customs.gov.au

http://jobsearch.gov.au

That should help you both some

I can't see your student debt in the UK being an issue.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

thanks,
kat

Hi Kat

Welcome to the forum.

Basically for the TRA you need to go into as much detail as possible. He needs his employers (past and present) to decribe his duties, the type of work he did, tools he has used, his position in the company, whether he is part time / full time, his salary and anything else you or they can think of.

Also your hubby will need to describe his skills in his own words and again list all the tools he can use.

It is quite a challanging task. But take it one step at a time and you'll eventually get through it all.

I found it easier to get some job descriptions and start there, it helps you to remember everything. Also a supplier catalogue helps when listing tools.

Good Luck with it all
Wendy x
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:23 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Starting out....

Thank you, (both)
Luckily an old boss has done this sort of reference before so is going to do his first to give us an idea..
Thanks for the welcome..
Regards, Kat xxx
Originally Posted by WendyC
Hi Kat

Welcome to the forum.

Basically for the TRA you need to go into as much detail as possible. He needs his employers (past and present) to decribe his duties, the type of work he did, tools he has used, his position in the company, whether he is part time / full time, his salary and anything else you or they can think of.

Also your hubby will need to describe his skills in his own words and again list all the tools he can use.

It is quite a challanging task. But take it one step at a time and you'll eventually get through it all.

I found it easier to get some job descriptions and start there, it helps you to remember everything. Also a supplier catalogue helps when listing tools.

Good Luck with it all
Wendy x
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, (both)
Luckily an old boss has done this sort of reference before so is going to do his first to give us an idea..
Thanks for the welcome..
Regards, Kat xxx
No problem.

We are/have all been in the same boat so any help you need just ask and someone will be able to help.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

For what its worth I have just sent in my TRA Application and I was surprised with how much information was required - I am going through an Agent - and the very basic skills that need to be set out for the application. Make sure you are very thorough and I dont think you'll go far wrong.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 12:19 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

hiya and welcome to the forum, regarding the GCSE, i dont think these are important as they are not secondary education ie. degrees, certificates etc. etc. obviously put them down, in the education bit but they are more interested in secondary stuff - after the age of 16!!
as for the TRA, you need to be as thorough as you can, you may think its easy to explain but in reality a lot of people fail TRA first time around (us included) simply because we expect other people to understand what we had written, for instance if you were to explain how to make a cup of tea - what would you say
eg. stick tea bag in cup, pour water in, add sugar and milk hey presto!!!
most of us would !!!

in reality for TRA/skills assessment you would need: go to the kettle (which is a small device usually located on your kitchen worktop and holds X litres of water), located on the kettle there is an on/off button, depress this button, a light should appear to let you know the kettle is boiling, once boiled the kettle will click to off mode, during this process, assemble a cup with the adequate ingredients such as a tea bag (you will find this ........) some sugar (if applicable), etc. etc. etc.
i hope you understand what i am trying to get at!! you need to do your TRA as if you were explaining the profession and tools to a two year old!! these people have no idea about what you do, and it needs explaining right from scratch,explaining what each tool does, how often its used etc. etc.
its a long tedious process, and its arguable that its even worth all the stress - as TRA is the hardest period of the whole process!! the rest is a piece of cake really.
we used an agent as ours was a complicated case, definitely worth the money and peace of mind for us - but if you are confident and can gain all the proof and requirements then you really have no need to worry.
i am sure someone on the forum will have templates you could maybe look at, to give you an example of how things are done etc. but just remember, more information the better, even if its page after page!! and the boss reference is extremely important too, to highlight everything you have said!
good luck
regards
sorry for whaffling on
vb2
Old Apr 28th 2006, 2:04 pm
broken but got a visa! :

Hi, Thanks, thats not waffle thats great info....
Hubby has got GCSE, just never picked up the certs to prove it..(or so he says!!!)
We would appreciate any templates any one has got out there, just to read through basically...
We're gona go for a 136 skilled visa, hubby is a timeserved toolmaker, but has done cnc/machining 'stuff' for last 3 years with aerospace company...
If/when we get TRA sorted we'l look indepth into where to go...
Thanks to all for advice.
kat xxx

Originally Posted by vb2
hiya and welcome to the forum, regarding the GCSE, i dont think these are important as they are not secondary education ie. degrees, certificates etc. etc. obviously put them down, in the education bit but they are more interested in secondary stuff - after the age of 16!!
as for the TRA, you need to be as thorough as you can, you may think its easy to explain but in reality a lot of people fail TRA first time around (us included) simply because we expect other people to understand what we had written, for instance if you were to explain how to make a cup of tea - what would you say
eg. stick tea bag in cup, pour water in, add sugar and milk hey presto!!!
most of us would !!!

in reality for TRA/skills assessment you would need: go to the kettle (which is a small device usually located on your kitchen worktop and holds X litres of water), located on the kettle there is an on/off button, depress this button, a light should appear to let you know the kettle is boiling, once boiled the kettle will click to off mode, during this process, assemble a cup with the adequate ingredients such as a tea bag (you will find this ........) some sugar (if applicable), etc. etc. etc.
i hope you understand what i am trying to get at!! you need to do your TRA as if you were explaining the profession and tools to a two year old!! these people have no idea about what you do, and it needs explaining right from scratch,explaining what each tool does, how often its used etc. etc.
its a long tedious process, and its arguable that its even worth all the stress - as TRA is the hardest period of the whole process!! the rest is a piece of cake really.
we used an agent as ours was a complicated case, definitely worth the money and peace of mind for us - but if you are confident and can gain all the proof and requirements then you really have no need to worry.
i am sure someone on the forum will have templates you could maybe look at, to give you an example of how things are done etc. but just remember, more information the better, even if its page after page!! and the boss reference is extremely important too, to highlight everything you have said!
good luck
regards
sorry for whaffling on
vb2
Old Apr 28th 2006, 2:25 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, can't help with the TRA but wanted to wish you luck with your application!

Tracey
Old Apr 28th 2006, 4:00 pm
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Hi, Thanks, thats not waffle thats great info....
Hubby has got GCSE, just never picked up the certs to prove it..(or so he says!!!)
We would appreciate any templates any one has got out there, just to read through basically...
We're gona go for a 136 skilled visa, hubby is a timeserved toolmaker, but has done cnc/machining 'stuff' for last 3 years with aerospace company...
If/when we get TRA sorted we'l look indepth into where to go...
Thanks to all for advice.
kat xxx
Do I assume he works for Smith Industries then as you are in Bishops Cleeve?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 6:01 pm
broken but got a visa! :

you assumed right...but he's not at the Cleeve Smiths..unfortunately or I'd make him walk!
Where are u?

Originally Posted by benny the ball
Do I assume he works for Smith Industries then as you are in Bishops Cleeve?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 6:41 pm
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

you assumed right...but he's not at the Cleeve Smiths..unfortunately or I'd make him walk!
Where are u?
Lol. I'm over in Gloucester, Abbeymead. Used to do a lot of work for aerospace companies before I moved jobs.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 6:46 pm
broken but got a visa! :

Small world, and getting smaller....
How far are you into your application/process?
We've researched it, just started on tra, came on here to find similar minded people and of course help!
kat xx

Lol. I'm over in Gloucester, Abbeymead. Used to do a lot of work for aerospace companies before I moved jobs.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 6:53 pm
Humble vaudevillian

Small world, and getting smaller....
How far are you into your application/process?
We've researched it, just started on tra, came on here to find similar minded people and of course help!
kat xx
We're waiting for the results of my wife's skills assessment. She's a pharmacist so it's been fairly easy as they have a reciprocal agreement and their own assessing body.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 6:54 pm
broken but got a visa! :

Cool..
Good luck.xx
We're waiting for the results of my wife's skills assessment. She's a pharmacist so it's been fairly easy as they have a reciprocal agreement and their own assessing body.