British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   starting out (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/starting-out-277931/)

joanneS Jan 16th 2005 6:18 pm

starting out

:) Hi, just been looking at website, what a great idea! Anyway have finally made the decision that myself and family (me, my husband and 3 children) want to emigrate to Australia. We haven't got an idea where to start! Have been looking at various ways to get out there, hoping to go on the skilled visa as my husband is a plumber, he hasn't any papers though as he did the apprenticeship when he was sixteen and left before the exams (unfortunately back then he was more interested in girls and booze) 37 he is now, with a bit more sense. Anyway he has been working in the plumbing industry for over 10 years now but only the last four years has been employed by an employer, the rest was site work and don't know if the companies still exist!! Does anyone know if this would be ok for a skilled visa? The other option is sponsorship visa, I have an aunt and uncle living in Australia so could use them if we had to, but would prefer to use the skilled one if possible.
Where do we actually start? Is it best to use an agency and if so which one? also how long does it normally take from start to finish?
Any info would be helpful.
Thanks to all

Al H Jan 16th 2005 6:39 pm

Re: starting out

Originally Posted by joanneS
:) Hi, just been looking at website, what a great idea! Anyway have finally made the decision that myself and family (me, my husband and 3 children) want to emigrate to Australia. We haven't got an idea where to start! Have been looking at various ways to get out there, hoping to go on the skilled visa as my husband is a plumber, he hasn't any papers though as he did the apprenticeship when he was sixteen and left before the exams (unfortunately back then he was more interested in girls and booze) 37 he is now, with a bit more sense. Anyway he has been working in the plumbing industry for over 10 years now but only the last four years has been employed by an employer, the rest was site work and don't know if the companies still exist!! Does anyone know if this would be ok for a skilled visa? The other option is sponsorship visa, I have an aunt and uncle living in Australia so could use them if we had to, but would prefer to use the skilled one if possible.
Where do we actually start? Is it best to use an agency and if so which one? also how long does it normally take from start to finish?
Thanks to all

Hi Joanne

Welcome to the forum. :) I am sure that others have had a simliar experience with the situtation you are describing. Try doing a search on the forum. Otherwise you could try talking to an agent - there are a couple on hear who post a lot and have good reputations - we are using one of them. They will give you an idea of what you might do and what evidence you might need for the different types of visas. Also go to the DIMIA web site http://www.immi.gov.au/ if you haven't done so already. We are using an agent mainly to avoid the hassle factor and to be sure we have got everything that we need.

Good luck and welcome again

Alastair

C.Owen Jan 16th 2005 7:53 pm

Thanks to all

Hi Joanne

Welcome to the forum first of all, lot's of information to be had and shared on here about Oz so your definately in the right place.

Like Alastair said a call to an agent might be the first step, not everybody uses an agent an it can be done without, however this is usually when they have a straight forward case (with quals and many years work experience).
In your case... as in mine when i started out, it wasn't clear cut !!! and it's not easy knowing the best way to go about obtaining a TRA ( Trades Recognition ) which your husband as a plumber will need a first step, this where the advice really comes in handy, could save you a lot of time and prevent a knock back ..
This will also apply if you end up applying for a sponsored visa type through you Aunt and Uncle ( subclass 139 Sponsored skilled / Designated Area ) which is what i have just completed, basically means you have a skill ( Trade ) for which you qualify on a points basis ... but you have sponsorship through your family ties, and an Assurer who is willing to lodge a bond for you in their name ( this can be your sponsor if they earn enough income ) $40,000 per annum ...and you move to the same region / area where they live.
This may sound a bit daunting to begin, but once you understand the process which you need to follow, it will become clear, you'll be able to get an assessment from an agent for a small fee.. it might be worth while.

As for timing ....
dfficult to quantify ??? every case is different e.g my TRA took 12 months, so only take 3/4 months it depends how complicated your case is and how much work / effort is required to provide the neccessary data.
The main application took me 6 months, again this varies on the type of visa some get fast tracked depending on occupation and the need for those skills in Oz ( nurses etc.. )

I hope this gives you a little insight to the process, as said earlier and Agent can be a big help and could be worth considering, do a search on TRA / Plumbers, i know there are a few cases on the go at the minute, you can read through those threads to find out how they have gone about it.

Also it might be worth using the other section of the forum for your immigration information as most people hang out in there who are still going through the application stage, this lifestyle and culture section is great and will provide many answers for you in other area's of life in Oz.

Have fun and good luck .

JAJ Jan 16th 2005 8:03 pm

: Anyway he has been working in the plumbing industry for over 10 years now but only the last four years has been employed by an employer, the rest was site work and don't know if the companies still exist!! Does anyone know if this would be ok for a skilled visa? The other option is sponsorship visa, I have an aunt and uncle living in Australia so could use them if we had to, but would prefer to use the skilled one if possible.

Sponsorship by an aunt/uncle is just another variant of a skilled visa - so he will need to be skill assessed as a plumber by TRA either way. Without a formal apprenticeship this is going to be a lot harder, but not impossible - be warned that TRA is difficult and you will probably need help from an expert in the area.

Also check you meet the other requirements for a visa.

Jeremy

Mad Moggies R Us Jan 17th 2005 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
Sponsorship by an aunt/uncle is just another variant of a skilled visa - so he will need to be skill assessed as a plumber by TRA either way. Without a formal apprenticeship this is going to be a lot harder, but not impossible - be warned that TRA is difficult and you will probably need help from an expert in the area.

Also check you meet the other requirements for a visa.

Jeremy

Hi Joanne,
My husband and I are going via a 139 visa class, designated area sponsor, and we have used Go Matilda as our agent and have been very happy with them. I think we would've been in a bit of a muddle if we tried to do it by ourselves. We are halfway through the process, We have got a positive TRA, skills assesment, and this has been gained from my husband who got a civil engineering degree over 10 years ago. he has been in I.T for the last 10 yrs.
It did seam odd,that although he is now an I.T. manager, the TRA are really only concerned with certificates/degrees/diplomas etc. We definately appreciated the time and effort Glen Newton from Go Matilda put in to enable a positive outcome(sorry rambling) :zzz: . We are using my step sister as sponsor, she had to fill in some paperwork/forms and she also was able to contact our agent if needed( and she did),she is a pensioner, so we used my step Nephew as our assurer as he is in a well paid job, he to was glad to be able to speak to our agent about his part in the process :confused: .We reccomend the emigrate show March 18-20th sandown park racecourse,Surrey. checkout www.outbound publishing for more info on show.
Bit of advice GET THERE EARLY if you go and pre book tickets for seminars and show itself.
It has taken approx 9 months so far( lots of paperwork to deal with), and our visa application will be sent this week to Adelaide.

Before long you to I'm sure will become addicted to this site as many trillions of others have, for help,advice and often reassurence of this mad waiting, waiting and more waiting ;)

Good luck.
p.s. LOts of agents at show inc Go Matilda( friendly and not pushy).
p.p.s Anything else you want to ask,(after i've had a cuppa) don't hesitate.

Sar,me Blokey and the Mad Moggie crew :scared: :D

Paul2004 Jan 17th 2005 6:34 pm

Yeah you really want to speak to an agent. I got a knock back from the TRA. I'm a brickie and although no qualifications, I had over 10 yrs experience and it wasn't good enough for them!

Without paperwork I think they're very picky :-(