Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

starting a new school

starting a new school

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

pauli71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default starting a new school

We are awaiting the our visa or not anytime now. we have two children 15 and 13 dilemma ....when would be best time to emmigrate as soon as, which would be after june when our eldest would have finished G.C.S.E. therefore leaving some time remaining at school in aus, enabling her to bond and make new friends. Or wait untill after A levels and our youngest would have just finished G.C.S.E. 's any views would be appreciated.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 1:00 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: starting a new school

Originally posted by pauli71
We are awaiting the our visa or not anytime now. we have two children 15 and 13 dilemma ....when would be best time to emmigrate as soon as, which would be after june when our eldest would have finished G.C.S.E. therefore leaving some time remaining at school in aus, enabling her to bond and make new friends. Or wait untill after A levels and our youngest would have just finished G.C.S.E. 's any views would be appreciated.
If you are considering private school, ring a few up and get them on the waiting list ASAP, before you even get here.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

jaxowen will become famous soon enoughjaxowen will become famous soon enough

my children are the same age and we have only just started the process, i have read up on the education system quite a bit as i am a teacher myself and i think the things to consider are:

the australian school year runs from jan to dec - so when your children have finished gcse's etc they will enter the australian system half way through the school year - so effectively repeat 6 months of their education, and will have to sit the SC or HSC at the end of the year when they haven't really had time to take in the sylabus.

secondly if you intend to live in oz permanently then the australian equivalent exams (SC and HSC) will be more readily recognised by any potential employers/universities out there.

I was going to wait until my children had finished their gcse and a levels but have now decided that the sooner they get settled into school out there the better.

and finally - there is not a great deal of difference in performance between a good public school and a good private school how ever the difference between a bad public school and a poor private school is massive.

Good luck