Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting A Melbourne Life - what area?

Starting A Melbourne Life - what area?

Old Oct 11th 2009, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

daryllee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting A Melbourne Life - what area?

Hello

I am emailing from London and am about to relocate to Melbourne.
Am wanting to get a little help on areas in Melbourne to live that might be OK for my wife and 6 year old to settle into. So am looking for advice please.
I just want to get my girl into a school in a great area from the start and not change to another area's school months later down the line....so expat brits would be the way to go I feel.
ABOUT US; We live in Nottinghill area of London and like this style of area, suppose you could we are middle class and wish to look for a nice affordable area (not millionaire property prices like some of the property mansions near me) - but I like the closeness to the a city, but not pacifically to be in the suburbs. Like Shopping Malls, school, swimming pool nearby and easy transport links.

Can anybody recommend an area - as I can check these out on my business trip shortly.

Many, many thanks in advance to anyone's advice: Daryl Lee
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting A Melbourne Life - what area?

Guess you would be looking for areas close to the CBD. Pricey and just like London the closer you get to the action the more expensive the property.

Camberwell, Hawthorn, Hawthorn East, East St Kilda, Kew, Ivanoe, Balwyn, Brighton and Brighton East, Glenhuntly, Elsternwick, Elwood, bit further out on south side, Ormond, Bentleigh, McKinnon, other side of the city Essendon and Moonee Ponds.

Bit further out and down the beach, Sandringham, Hampton, Mentone, Black Rock, Beaumaris on the beach side of each suburb.

Have a look at realestate.com.au and you will get an idea of the type of property available for sale and rent.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Notting Hill = Carlton or Fitzroy, or even Clifton Hill... hope you've got 500,000 quid up your sleeve
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:45 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Notting Hill = Carlton or Fitzroy, or even Clifton Hill... hope you've got 500,000 quid up your sleeve
Yes you really need $1 million Aussie dollars for a good family sized house in a really good suburb of Melbounre. Brighton, Kew, East Malvern are a few you might like.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Ning Nang Nong is an unknown quantity at this point

Inner Melbourne suburbs are overrated and overpriced.
Mount Eliza or Frankston South are great value.
Toorak Ladies College is one of Melbourne's best schools.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:01 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Albert Park, Middle Park, Port Melbourne or South Melbourne. I really like living this side of the city; close in with regular trams and don't even need a car, got the markets, parks & beaches nearby. Quiet, with good neighbours and good schools apparently.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 6 yo too and she is in Year 1

I'd go with Hawthorn, Hawthorn East, Kew, Malvern and Camberwell. I liked all these suburbs and although we are renting at the moment, we will most probably end up buying a house in one of these suburbs. There are a mix of houses, townhouses and apartments here. I didn't quite like Albert Park much (found the houses really small and too close together, felt a bit claustrophobic).
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes you really need $1 million Aussie dollars for a good family sized house in a really good suburb of Melbounre. Brighton, Kew, East Malvern are a few you might like.
$ 1 million? It's more like $2 million++ for a decent house (on a plot of 700 sqm) and from all reports, prices appear to be going in only one direction....climbing up and up :curse:
Old Oct 12th 2009, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ning Nang Nong
Inner Melbourne suburbs are overrated and overpriced.
Mount Eliza or Frankston South are great value.
Toorak Ladies College is one of Melbourne's best schools.

Toorak ladies college is behind University High school on the rankings, and Uni High is a Government State School.....One would get into if they lived in Carlton or Parkville. Parkville is a very pricey suburb though, which is why I never mentioned it before.... Certainly ok for someone comparing Notting Hill, with two swimming pools close by.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...ool,_Melbourne

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 12th 2009 at 2:30 am.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Toorak ladies college is behind University High school on the rankings, and Uni High is a Government State School.....One would get into if they lived in Carlton or Parkville. Parkville is a very pricey suburb though, which is why I never mentioned it before.... Certainly ok for someone comparing Notting Hill, with two swimming pools close by.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...ool,_Melbourne
According to the ranking you posted for all public and private schools Toorak School is ranked 42 and University High School 61!! (Taking into account both median and 40+ scores) However I would agree that both are excellent schools.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Smartinis
According to the ranking you posted for all public and private schools Toorak School is ranked 42 and University High School 61!! (Taking into account both median and 40+ scores) However I would agree that both are excellent schools.
Didn't realise I had posted a list

Although when I had a look I could see on the page figures from 2005, which have totally different figures.

There are quite a few government schools listed above a lot of the "reputable" private schools.

So choose your location carefully is probably the best advice.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:31 am
Just Joined

janette eley is an unknown quantity at this point

I would never leave a place light Notting Hill if I could help it.

I would love to live there and I cant help but think you would be disapointed going to Melbourne as nothing will come close to this.

Only my opinion and I do love Melbourne, however its not Nottinghill!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janette eley

I would love to live there and I cant help but think you would be disapointed going to Melbourne as nothing will come close to this.

Where and how long have you lived in inner city Melbourne - as your view of suburbs might be useful.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Originally Posted by janette eley

I think there are plenty of suburbs that could match Notting Hill if not Better!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:29 am
Just Joined

daryllee is an unknown quantity at this point

I was originally a Sydney boy, then moved to London a long time ago. I've never really liked aussie suburbs in Sydney and always liked the city for shopping/beach for relaxing - but I really don't know Melbourne one's at all. Just trying to get a feel for an area where there is really good schools nearby/ supermarket and Mall and close to the city - my child and wife would love being near a beach. Just won't have a car and don't want an hour commute to work.
But will look at all the places that people advise when I visit in a few weeks.

MANY THANKS: DARYL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.