Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

starting a business in oz..

starting a business in oz..

Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:45 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default starting a business in oz..

i have read in lots of threads that oz is twenty years behind the u.k??
as oz is a developing country ,has anyone seen an opportunity and started their own business?

i read all the time that the us poms miss this and that,so there must be opportunities.????

thanks...aston
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all
Default Re: starting a business in oz..

Originally Posted by aston man
as oz is a developing country ,has anyone seen an opportunity and started their own business?

i read all the time that the us poms miss this and that,so there must be opportunities.????

thanks...aston
A lot of people do seem to start their own business here and from my experience people seem more willing to give the small businesses a go here than they are in the UK (in terms of using their services).
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough

i had a thought about opening a nail bar or something simular, offering range of beauty and hair options.
on the Wirral there is one or more in every town!!
Seeing as Hairdressers are on the MODL I wonder if there`s a need for this kind of thing? anyone got any links to what types of business`s there are?
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomgrrl
i had a thought about opening a nail bar or something simular, offering range of beauty and hair options.
on the Wirral there is one or more in every town!!
Seeing as Hairdressers are on the MODL I wonder if there`s a need for this kind of thing? anyone got any links to what types of business`s there are?
There are more nail bars here than you can poke a stick. Most of them seem to do pedicures too with those foot spa things (they put them in the shop windows so you get a good view of people's horrible feet as you walk by). You can get your nails done by vietnamese 'artists' in the wierdest designs.

Hairdressers/beauticians are two a penny. Strangely every shopping centre has one.

There's not a shortage of these places - just supposedly a shortage of staff to work in them.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I keep telling DH he should start his own business (not going to say doing what cos who knows one day he might) as there are quite a few shops/mail order type things that are in the UK that they just dont have here.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:31 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of business opportunities here I've found and recently started my own business. However - dont make the mistake of trying to cater for british expats (a limited market place at best) and instead there are heaps of business gaps to do really anything you want to.

I would strongly disagree with the 20 years behind the UK comment though since imo thats mainly touted by the people who cant wait to leave.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:44 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

I've started my own business. Creating new companies for people and acting as company secretary and FD (am qualified accountant) . If you need more info, just pm me.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
A lot of people do seem to start their own business here and from my experience people seem more willing to give the small businesses a go here than they are in the UK (in terms of using their services).
totally agree - there is more opportunity, and you are not frowned upon for working from home - it's very common
Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:01 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aston man

thanks...aston
Carl has recently bought a Franchise from a company he had worked for for 18 months ...and it's doing very well - ok, he's a very strong Chess player, and a good teacher ....but Franchises are popular, and do work.
Franchises are two-and-a-half times more successful than stand-alone businesses.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 6:49 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldn't mind buying a franchise for my wife,,can you get one for those sandwich rounds,etc,etc...