British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   starting a business in oz.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/starting-business-oz-434009/)

aston man Mar 12th 2007 6:45 am

starting a business in oz..

i have read in lots of threads that oz is twenty years behind the u.k??
as oz is a developing country ,has anyone seen an opportunity and started their own business?

i read all the time that the us poms miss this and that,so there must be opportunities.????

thanks...aston

Paul and Chloe Mar 12th 2007 6:48 am

Re: starting a business in oz..

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 4508929)
as oz is a developing country ,has anyone seen an opportunity and started their own business?

i read all the time that the us poms miss this and that,so there must be opportunities.????

thanks...aston

A lot of people do seem to start their own business here and from my experience people seem more willing to give the small businesses a go here than they are in the UK (in terms of using their services).

pomgrrl Mar 12th 2007 7:24 am

i had a thought about opening a nail bar or something simular, offering range of beauty and hair options.
on the Wirral there is one or more in every town!!
Seeing as Hairdressers are on the MODL I wonder if there`s a need for this kind of thing? anyone got any links to what types of business`s there are?:unsure:

NickyC Mar 12th 2007 9:50 am

Originally Posted by pomgrrl (Post 4508969)
i had a thought about opening a nail bar or something simular, offering range of beauty and hair options.
on the Wirral there is one or more in every town!!
Seeing as Hairdressers are on the MODL I wonder if there`s a need for this kind of thing? anyone got any links to what types of business`s there are?:unsure:

There are more nail bars here than you can poke a stick. Most of them seem to do pedicures too with those foot spa things (they put them in the shop windows :eek: so you get a good view of people's horrible feet as you walk by). You can get your nails done by vietnamese 'artists' in the wierdest designs.

Hairdressers/beauticians are two a penny. Strangely every shopping centre has one.

There's not a shortage of these places - just supposedly a shortage of staff to work in them. ;)

bridie Mar 12th 2007 9:55 am

I keep telling DH he should start his own business (not going to say doing what cos who knows one day he might) as there are quite a few shops/mail order type things that are in the UK that they just dont have here.

Centurion Mar 12th 2007 10:31 am

There are plenty of business opportunities here I've found and recently started my own business. However - dont make the mistake of trying to cater for british expats (a limited market place at best) and instead there are heaps of business gaps to do really anything you want to.

I would strongly disagree with the 20 years behind the UK comment though since imo thats mainly touted by the people who cant wait to leave.

SunshineGirl Mar 12th 2007 10:44 am

I've started my own business. Creating new companies for people and acting as company secretary and FD (am qualified accountant) . If you need more info, just pm me.

doub Mar 12th 2007 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe (Post 4508935)
A lot of people do seem to start their own business here and from my experience people seem more willing to give the small businesses a go here than they are in the UK (in terms of using their services).

totally agree - there is more opportunity, and you are not frowned upon for working from home - it's very common

CasG Mar 12th 2007 11:01 am

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 4508929)

thanks...aston

Carl has recently bought a Franchise from a company he had worked for for 18 months ...and it's doing very well - ok, he's a very strong Chess player, and a good teacher ....but Franchises are popular, and do work.
Franchises are two-and-a-half times more successful than stand-alone businesses.

aston man Mar 13th 2007 6:49 am

i wouldn't mind buying a franchise for my wife,,can you get one for those sandwich rounds,etc,etc...