Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting a business

Starting a business

Old May 20th 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

suki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting a business

I have been told that there are loads of restrictions on starting your own business in Oz (have to live there for a certain amount of time etc), we are looking at moving to Perth early next year and I would like to carry on doing what I do in the UK. Can anyone help?

thanks

Last edited by suki; May 20th 2007 at 12:49 pm.
Old May 20th 2007, 12:01 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a business

Originally Posted by suki
I have been told that there are loads of restrictions on starting your own business in Oz (have to live there for a certain amount of time etc), we are looking at moving to Perth early next year and I would like to carry on doing what I do in the UK. Can anyone help?

thanks
maxine
Thats not correct. You can start up in business pretty much straight away after registering either your business name or forming a company. Its really no bother at all and I found it very easy indeed.
Old May 21st 2007, 12:49 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Thats not correct. You can start up in business pretty much straight away after registering either your business name or forming a company. Its really no bother at all and I found it very easy indeed.
Hi,

Did you get any advice or did you just set up yourself? We set up Jim's company fairly easily but he's just an IT contractor so it was straightforward. I'm thinking of maybe starting a home food production business and this requires a myriad of licences. That's the bit I need advice on, to make sure I'm covered legally.

Jane
Old May 21st 2007, 1:31 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Contact the department of state development (or similarly named department) in your state - they will be able to give you all the advice and information you need.

Eg in Qld contact State Development and SmartLicence

Last edited by ridds; May 21st 2007 at 1:34 am.
Old May 21st 2007, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

thanks
Try www.sbdc.com.au for Perth.

Good luck
Ian
Old May 21st 2007, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
You can do it straightaway.

There is a restriction on directors who live abroad - i.e. I think that at least one director has to be living in Australia - but that's about it.

It is a very simple procedure and I think that the set up fees have been significantly reduced. They were about $900.
Old May 21st 2007, 5:36 am
Just Joined

butsudan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, shouldnt be a bother we started a fresh food deli con/store from scratch in Qld got lots of help from Council EASEE PEESEE
Old May 21st 2007, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

suki is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great thanks for your help.