Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting a business

Starting a business

Old Oct 8th 2005, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Starting a business

We hope to open a hairdressing salon when we arrive in oz. My husband has much exp.and figure that would be the only way to earn a decent wage in the hairdressing profession. Has anyone else opened their own retail business ? If so perhaps you could share your exp.
The process makes me :scared: all the what ifs.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 11:54 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a business

Would be interested in responses to this too since it's something we're also considering (though not a salon).
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs M
We hope to open a hairdressing salon when we arrive in oz. My husband has much exp.and figure that would be the only way to earn a decent wage in the hairdressing profession. Has anyone else opened their own retail business ? If so perhaps you could share your exp.

Opening a business is a very good way to lose a lot of money unless you know exactly what you are doing. Have you run a similar business in the UK?

Otherwise it's probably a better idea to work in a similar business for a while in Australia, so you can become familiar with the business environment first. You should in particular check the licensing situation.

Jeremy
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:49 am
Banned

Hunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to all

Hi Mrs M!

We are also starting a business here (not retail) and we stumbled upon this course;

http://www.kangan.edu.au/bec/neis.htm

You won't be eligble to apply for it until you've been here for at least 2 years as a PR but that will give you time to find your feet and learn the Aussie market. They help you to write a business plan, give you some start up money and provide you with a mentor. Fantastic course!

Good luck
Old Oct 9th 2005, 2:40 am
Fremantle Doctor!

windy gale has a spectacular aura aboutwindy gale has a spectacular aura aboutwindy gale has a spectacular aura about

starting a business is a very good way to earn a lot of money, you dont have to be super inteligent, BUT you do have to have common sense.
Yes you will make mistakes but you will have to learn to put those mistakes right quickly.I have been in business for myself for many years mostly a full time job to pay the mortgage and my own part time job at the weekends.
being in business for your self opens up a whole new avenue of working life.
My first full time business turned over nearly 1 million pounds in the first year and made a profit of 52,000 i had 6 vans on the road and 15 people working for me.
And then i fell into the trap of getting too big too quick it took another year to pull back the dept. but i would go back and do it all again, we had free holidays, one in las vegas, sun city in south africa, italy and to venice.
Golf days out and so on.
Scossie and i have started a business in AUS and its easy to start were government is conserned you might have to do everything twice. we now have a business name and a web site you can contact us through www. aquabilitypool.com.au let us know how you get on
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Opening a business is a very good way to lose a lot of money unless you know exactly what you are doing. Have you run a similar business in the UK?

Otherwise it's probably a better idea to work in a similar business for a while in Australia, so you can become familiar with the business environment first. You should in particular check the licensing situation.

Jeremy
My husband has been self employed in the u.k. for over 20 years hired, fired,having had two seperate locations cold start and built up the business so we are as prepared as we can be i think basic business principles are universal its mostly legislation we are concerned about.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:46 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

jensteve.... is opening a pet shop in perth..... maybe you could get intouch with her..... she is fully experienced in the ins n outs ov owning a shop.... her head is well on her shoulders..... great couple im sure she would point you in the rite direction....

boomie
xx
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boomie
jensteve.... is opening a pet shop in perth..... maybe you could get intouch with her..... she is fully experienced in the ins n outs ov owning a shop.... her head is well on her shoulders..... great couple im sure she would point you in the rite direction....

boomie
xx
Thanks for the link Boomie ,any info is much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:53 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the link Boomie ,any info is much appreciated.

Cheers
ure welcome...... i will pm you her msn address...... im sure she wouldnt mind....just tell her i gave it to you....

boom
x
Old Oct 10th 2005, 1:07 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boomie
ure welcome...... i will pm you her msn address...... im sure she wouldnt mind....just tell her i gave it to you....

boom
x
Nah don't mind at all, somebody said to me yesterday well they where trying to figure out why I never appear stressed, well try not too, getting there with the shop, the centre manager needed a kick up the ass, she is new to the job and a total jobsworth, paperwork all going through should settle 31st October to start trading the next day.
Got my new eftpos machine booked in the go in (commonwealth) made them sick they done me such a good deal, one thing I have learned in OZ pitt different companies against eachother, they love getting the business over the other one. More stock getting ordered this week and we will be up and ready to go, yipeeee!!
Got to sort out a leaflet drop though, managed to get it done for $30/1000 thought that was better than me walking for miles and miles.

Jenny