Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Started Degree in UK, is it possible to finish in OZ??

Started Degree in UK, is it possible to finish in OZ??

Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Off 2 Oz is on a distinguished road
Default Started Degree in UK, is it possible to finish in OZ??

Hi, wonder if anyone has any experience of this. I am about to finish first year of BSc in Computing in Scotland. We will be applying for 176 visa when ACS results back (husbands, not mine ). Our initial plan was for me to finish degree here and then go to Oz but I was wondering if anyone had finished a degree they had started outwith Australia. Just want to get there as soon as possible now Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Started Degree in UK, is it possible to finish in OZ??

Originally Posted by Off 2 Oz
Hi, wonder if anyone has any experience of this. I am about to finish first year of BSc in Computing in Scotland. We will be applying for 176 visa when ACS results back (husbands, not mine ). Our initial plan was for me to finish degree here and then go to Oz but I was wondering if anyone had finished a degree they had started outwith Australia. Just want to get there as soon as possible now Thanks in advance for any replies.
can only give you my experience which is a totally diff. field so not sure if it will help.I had completed 2 years of my 3 yr teaching degree and knew it was a 4 yr degree in aus and had been told by aus would probably have to do 2 yrs when we got out there but when the uni looked at my course it seemed too diff. for them and said i would have to do 3 and half years. Was pretty upset about this so it might be worth you sending them ALL details of your course rather than just taking them at their word in case you have similar situation. Your case may be completely diff. to mine so please don't feel down by my posting but if my posting helps you to get things sorted before you go then I'm glad I posted.(hope you understand what I'm trying to say!)
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

I have no experience in Oz, but having friends that have struggled to change Uni's even in the UK, I would look to compare the courses. If you have the same kind of knowledge after 1 or 2 years as the students at the Uni you want to go to, then you will be fine. Otherwise you may have to repeat a year at least. I expect with computing things would be not that different, so you would prob be better off than BabsW. I would seriously look at the course of the Uni(s) you're looking at. Realistically, if you are doing a final year at a different place, but have no clue about half of what they're talking about, it wouldn't be much fun. My old uni used to do a two year in one thing, so you could do the courses you need to, but miss out those you didn't - might be an option.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,thanks for your replies. I had a look at some SA uni's and decided it would be easier probably to finish here. Oh well, just need to be patient.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Off 2 Oz
Hi,thanks for your replies. I had a look at some SA uni's and decided it would be easier probably to finish here. Oh well, just need to be patient.
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm in year 1 of my degree and it looks like we may possibly move at this end of this academic year. Could you talk to anyone at your Uni? Because mine have been really helpful advising me on how many credits I will be able to transfer, and I'm going to try and be really cheeky and get the name of someone who may ring the Uni I choose in Aus and speak to them for me. I have heard them say that they have done this kind of thing before for other students.

Good luck anyway!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by milliewoos
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm in year 1 of my degree and it looks like we may possibly move at this end of this academic year. Could you talk to anyone at your Uni? Because mine have been really helpful advising me on how many credits I will be able to transfer, and I'm going to try and be really cheeky and get the name of someone who may ring the Uni I choose in Aus and speak to them for me. I have heard them say that they have done this kind of thing before for other students.

Good luck anyway!
Thanks for your reply, I had a look at the websites of the Uni's I was looking at in SA and although I am self funding my degree in the UK, it will work out quite a bit cheaper to do it here, as even on a PR visa I would have to pay over $7500 per annum with Commonwealth funding, or about $18,000 without, I think. So I have decided to wait until Im finished, I would rather have the extra money to spend on other things Good luck with what you decide.