Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Start up Web Based Business! How Much?

Start up Web Based Business! How Much?

Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:03 am
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Start up Web Based Business! How Much?

Hi Guys and Gals,

Its been while since I have posted on the forum... so much is happening the dream of Moving to Australia is becoming more real.

The wait however is another story.....

In the meantime Myself and my OH have been contemplating whether or not to start Our own business in Aus.

I was just wondering if there was anyone that could possibly give me a prediction of how much it would cost to set up a website......

We have researched the cost of putting the website together in the UK, but we don't know whether it would be a better idea to just start working on it when we get to Aus?

Also my OH read somewhere that we cannot set up a website with Aussie domain name without actually registering the business first in Aus.

Not sure if we have this part wrong?

Any advise is much appreciated!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Start up Web Based Business! How Much?

Originally Posted by utopia
Hi Guys and Gals,

Its been while since I have posted on the forum... so much is happening the dream of Moving to Australia is becoming more real.

In the meantime Myself and my OH have been contemplating whether or not to start Our own business in Aus.

I was just wondering if there was anyone that could possibly give me a prediction of how much it would cost to set up a website......

We have researched the cost of putting the website together in the UK, but we don't know whether it would be a better idea to just start working on it when we get to Aus?

Also my OH read somewhere that we cannot set up a website with Aussie domain name without actually registering the business first in Aus.

Hi....

I would think you could set your website up from wherever you are???

I made a simple website as an on-line portfolio for prospective employers in Oz to look at.

I got some cheap webspace from a company called Centrica on ebay. It's normally £120 per year, but the do an ebay special now and again for £5.00 - bargain. They are a big company and its a great package with unlimited webspace, sub domains and e-mails.

I used 1 & 1 Internet to 'buy' a domain name. Just buy a .com then it's 'worldwide' if you like - no real need to have a .com.au - .com is easier to remember anyway. It's £10 per year for your domain name through 1 & 1. Get your name first, then sign up for a Centrica account through ebay and link your domain name to your Centrica webspace.

Then all you have to do is build your website - I used Microsoft Frontpage as it's pretty simple. You can even do it in Word - just save as a .html file instead of a .doc.

Or, if you are 'buying' a website designer - they will build you a site and put it on your Centrica webspace if required. That would be cheaper than them hosting it for you. I would suggest that if the website is to promote your business rather than a web based business, then have a go yourself. It's really easy to make a simple site - look on the net for html tutorials, there are tons of them.

Good luck.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys and Gals,

What kind of business would it be? Different businesses would have different requirements as far as webhosting goes, hence different prices for the packages
Old Oct 28th 2006, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, that's right, but it depends on whether you want an .au site or not. imo, it looks better to Australians and is more reassuring that it's an Australian company. Registering the business is no big deal... you have to do that anyway eventually.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

hi there
First of all, no you dont need to register the company name first in Oz.
You can do a simple whereis and check out any particular name you want and make sure its available. As for web design, do it wherever you like! The price of the website depends very much on the details, do you want a couple of straight forward pages or an online catalogue? If you want some free advice pm me
Kelly x
Old Oct 28th 2006, 4:59 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much everyone!

Kelly going to PM you when the kids go down tonight!

The Website I have in mind will consist of layers... front-page is definitely going to be too basic I think for my needs!

Trying to find someone at present with the skill and ability to put it together really but Ideally I would like it to be .com.au!

Il keep you guys posted!

Old Oct 28th 2006, 5:13 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I am a professional web designer moving to Australia, Brisbane on 4th November.

I would be happy to help you out with anything you are looking for.

PM me with some details and I can respond to you personally.

Nick
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:23 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Trying to find someone at present with the skill and ability to put it together really but Ideally I would like it to be .com.au!
Then you need to be a registered business for that - no big deal - I did it a few months ago. Good luck.