Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Start up renting

Start up renting

Old Sep 26th 2006, 1:22 am
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold
Smile Start up renting

We are a family of two and looking for a short term accommodation (for 3 months) in or very closer to Perth. We are looking at an Annex (I do not know how you call it in Australia). A separate unit in a house shared with the landlord or another tenant.
One furnished studio type room will be ok for us.
Any website for this kind of short term renting? I am looking at less than 120 A$ per week (incl. basic furniture, water/electricity, attached bath). Am I realistic?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 1:46 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Start up renting

Originally Posted by bru
We are a family of two and looking for a short term accommodation (for 3 months) in or very closer to Perth. We are looking at an Annex (I do not know how you call it in Australia). A separate unit in a house shared with the landlord or another tenant.
Any website for this kind of short term renting? I am looking at less than 120 A$ per week (incl. basic furniture, water/electricity, attached bath). Am I realistic?
Not really no..... if you look on www.realestate.com.au you may find some units in the region of $150 per week, mostly unfurnished but some may be furnished to a basic level. These wont include your utility bills and the connection charges to go with them and you will also be expected to commit to a lease of at least 6 months.

Short term accom is harder to find in smaller units and those that there are are furnshed and equipped to high standards and will include all utilities, the costs will reflect this.

I think you need to raise your budget a bit and possibly look to furnishing the unit from op shops and don't forget to budget for your utilities.

Lynn
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:57 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bru

This sort of accommodation is usually refereed to as a “granny flat” here in oz. They’re usually furnished and include electricity/water and are commonly advertised in the newspaper. Most people will want you to stay for atleast 3 months. Usually bond isn’t required and prices will obviously vary depending on the area and size.

They get snapped up pretty quickly by students/unemployed/elderly when they become available, so you might find it hard securing one before arriving.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:30 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bru
I think it is unlikely you will be able to find a furnished unit for that price - if that is your budget, maybe you should consider a house share/shared accommodation (where you have your own room but share facilities such as kitchen, bathroom, living room) - usually these rooms come with some furniture.

Try here for some ideas:
www.flatmates.com.au
or
http://flatmates.yourestate.com.au/