Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

start date and no visa (457) help pls!

start date and no visa (457) help pls!

Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all
Default start date and no visa (457) help pls!

Hi all,

We have been offered a job in WA, the employer has sent off the sponsorship and nomination paperwork, and we will be sending off the visa application in the next few days.

The problem is due to a few delays along the way he wanted my partner to start on the 1st Oct, as we will have no visa by then, is there anyway we can get there before the visa on a temp short stay visa? or something similar?

He is very busy at the moment and really needs my partner there like yesterday.

can anyone offer any help on this please? My partner is 32 in 27 and we have a young child (3 dec) Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 12:49 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: start date and no visa (457) help pls!

I can't offer an help I'm afraid.

I just think it's unrealistic from the employer to expect you to start work if the visa application just got sent off a few days ago. I'm sure you could come on a tourist visa but I have no idea what would happen if you worked on it.

I don't think your partner can get a working holiday visa because you are married with kids. I might be wrong so it wouldn't hurt to check that out.

I hope you find a solution to your problem. I'm sure someone will be along with a few ideas.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all

Thank you, i know we cant go on a working holiday visa because he is too old now (32 too old ), but i thought i had read somewhere on here that there was a visa for 3 months that you could work on while waiting...............again i may be wrong i have read that much stuff my head is about to pop!

Thank you again xx
Old Sep 29th 2007, 3:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I can't offer an help I'm afraid.

I just think it's unrealistic from the employer to expect you to start work if the visa application just got sent off a few days ago. I'm sure you could come on a tourist visa but I have no idea what would happen if you worked on it.
You cannot work as a tourist.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowmellow
Hi all,

We have been offered a job in WA, the employer has sent off the sponsorship and nomination paperwork, and we will be sending off the visa application in the next few days.

The problem is due to a few delays along the way he wanted my partner to start on the 1st Oct, as we will have no visa by then, is there anyway we can get there before the visa on a temp short stay visa? or something similar?

can anyone offer any help on this please? My partner is 32 in 27 and we have a young child (3 dec) Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
sorry the 457 is the only visa you can go on to work sorry short stay visa is a holiday visa and you are not allowed to work

visa 457 is taking 6-8 weeks at the moment to process so i am sorry to gie you all this bad news
Old Sep 30th 2007, 12:11 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
You cannot work as a tourist.
I was pretty sure you couldn't. Being in the country is one thing, being allowed to work is quite another.

I was just hoping there might be something else they could do.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you all,

you just read bits here and there and then your brain scrambles it all up again!

why cant it be a little simpler?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

xabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nice

Originally Posted by yellowmellow
Hi all,

Thank you in advance.
Hi yellowmellow
I am not by any means certain about this - but isn't there some bridging visa that can be used in certain circumstances. Not sure if this is if you are cnaging between 457 visas or wheter you can use it on a holiday visa. perhaps it is worth looking into. A good idea is to look in the imigration section of this forum - may give you some idea. Maybe you could look at immi.gov.au. Seems to me that there has to be something in place though to cater for this type of scenario
Regards
Xabi
Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xabialonso
Hi yellowmellow
I am not by any means certain about this - but isn't there some bridging visa that can be used in certain circumstances. Not sure if this is if you are cnaging between 457 visas or wheter you can use it on a holiday visa. perhaps it is worth looking into. A good idea is to look in the imigration section of this forum - may give you some idea. Maybe you could look at immi.gov.au. Seems to me that there has to be something in place though to cater for this type of scenario
Regards
Xabi

I don't think there is, sorry.

It may be different if they were already in Australia on another visa (eg A student visa) and were awaiting PR or whatever, but applying for a 457 visa from another country isn't the same thing.

The 457 visa is pretty fast, DIAC move at their own pace, employers, and employees will have to wait for them to do their thing.

It's frustrating waiting for a visa, but 6 - 8 weeks is nothing compared to waiting a year or so for a PR visa.

I do think it's very optomistic of them to expect the visa to be through by the 1st October if they hadn't actually sent it in by the 29th September?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I don't think there is, sorry.

It may be different if they were already in Australia on another visa (eg A student visa) and were awaiting PR or whatever, but applying for a 457 visa from another country isn't the same thing.

The 457 visa is pretty fast, DIAC move at their own pace, employers, and employees will have to wait for them to do their thing.

It's frustrating waiting for a visa, but 6 - 8 weeks is nothing compared to waiting a year or so for a PR visa.

I do think it's very optomistic of them to expect the visa to be through by the 1st October if they hadn't actually sent it in by the 29th September?
i agree as i know many 457 who have applied in may and june and still haven't got the visa yet !!

but it is nothing in waiting 1yr for the pr visa
Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
i agree as i know many 457 who have applied in may and june and still haven't got the visa yet !!

but it is nothing in waiting 1yr for the pr visa

It feel like forever

then you get here and the year goes so quick you wonder where it's gone
Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wendy
It feel like forever

then you get here and the year goes so quick you wonder where it's gone
a bit llike being pregnant which seems to go on forever and then having a baby then the first yr of yr childs life it goes by so fast .
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again all,

I know 6-8 weeks is nothing compared to a year, just seems like this has been going on forever. im not the one being impatient well ok just a little. They just need Marv to start asap and i was just wondering that was all. It looks like there is not one, been in touch with an agent and they say there is a visitor one but we wont be able to work on it.
So whats the point?

Anyway thanks again,

Bec xx