Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

standing on a corner with a 10 pound note

standing on a corner with a 10 pound note

Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Default standing on a corner with a 10 pound note

and trying to get someone to give you 11 quid for it..........I have been looking at houses in the UK for 12 months.........I see at least a dozen houses that were there 6-12 months ago and still they are listed for the same price
For the life of me I can't figure out what they are thinking.........perhaps some people just don't want to sell their house......just wasting realtors time
the way to sell a house is to get ACTION and these people are getting no action at all.........who wants ACTION ......here is the way you get your house sold

first of all list it just above what you think it's worth.......give it 3 weeks and if no action then drop it 2k a week for 3 weeks then wait a week.......if no action then drop it 2k a week for another 3 weeks......thats a 12k drop in 2 months......if you still have no action then your property was not worth what you originally figured..........don't drop it in BIG chunks........by dropping it in 2k increments you will find a point where you will get action and sometimes you will get a bidding war going on..........siting on a property for months on end at the same price with no offers is a bad idea.......buyers know it's been there a long time and start to think something must be wrong with it........good luck everyone in selling and remember this.....it's hard to sell a 10 pound note for 11 quid but it's very easy to sell it for 9 pound 95 pence or even 9 pound 90 and you can move ahead with your lives
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Seriously is on a distinguished road
Default Re: standing on a corner with a 10 pound note

Originally Posted by psb182
and trying to get someone to give you 11 quid for it..........I have been looking at houses in the UK for 12 months.........I see at least a dozen houses that were there 6-12 months ago and still they are listed for the same price
For the life of me I can't figure out what they are thinking.........perhaps some people just don't want to sell their house......just wasting realtors time
the way to sell a house is to get ACTION and these people are getting no action at all.........who wants ACTION ......here is the way you get your house sold

first of all list it just above what you think it's worth.......give it 3 weeks and if no action then drop it 2k a week for 3 weeks then wait a week.......if no action then drop it 2k a week for another 3 weeks......thats a 12k drop in 2 months......if you still have no action then your property was not worth what you originally figured..........don't drop it in BIG chunks........by dropping it in 2k increments you will find a point where you will get action and sometimes you will get a bidding war going on..........siting on a property for months on end at the same price with no offers is a bad idea.......buyers know it's been there a long time and start to think something must be wrong with it........good luck everyone in selling and remember this.....it's hard to sell a 10 pound note for 11 quid but it's very easy to sell it for 9 pound 95 pence or even 9 pound 90 and you can move ahead with your lives
Gentle reader, I would suggest this is the complete opposite of what you need to do. Dropping your house 2k at a time implies there are people who can afford your house - if only it were 2k less!
Wishful thinking I believe. Against broad historical measures, property is at least 30% over-valued. We are now in a falling market.
You can chase the market down - 2k at a time - and not get a buyer for 2 or 3 years. This is what happened in the last house price correction.
Or you can wake up and smell the roses - and accept that if you want to sell your house you need to drop it at least 10%.
If you drop it 10% - then you might get a 'bidding war'. If you do, you'll get more for the house. If you don't - or you don't get an offer - you know you are still over-priced - you'll have to drop some more - if you WANT to sell.
People who can't sell their houses have a touching belief that somewhere out there is that one special person who loves their property so much they will pay asking price. It's a nice dream. But that's all it is.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all
Default Re: standing on a corner with a 10 pound note

Originally Posted by Seriously
Gentle reader, I would suggest this is the complete opposite of what you need to do. Dropping your house 2k at a time implies there are people who can afford your house - if only it were 2k less!
Wishful thinking I believe. Against broad historical measures, property is at least 30% over-valued. We are now in a falling market.
You can chase the market down - 2k at a time - and not get a buyer for 2 or 3 years. This is what happened in the last house price correction.
Or you can wake up and smell the roses - and accept that if you want to sell your house you need to drop it at least 10%.
If you drop it 10% - then you might get a 'bidding war'. If you do, you'll get more for the house. If you don't - or you don't get an offer - you know you are still over-priced - you'll have to drop some more - if you WANT to sell.
People who can't sell their houses have a touching belief that somewhere out there is that one special person who loves their property so much they will pay asking price. It's a nice dream. But that's all it is.
good advice, we have had our house on the market for 3 months with very little interest. We have dropped it by 5K and the agents want use to drop it another 10k. at the present time this does not suit us as we want the sale to be extended as the main applications has not gone in yet.

When it has we will drop the price by at least 10k and move in to rented for a couple of months so that we are already to go when the visa comes through. It is points less holding on for 12 months for the extra 5k when you could make that in interest if you drop the price and bang it in a high interest account. Our view is what we make in interest will all but pay for the cost of renting here or in oz for a 6 month period and we can get on with our lives and go when we are ready with no additional pressures. If the visa does not come through we buy a house in England and the way the property market is going we could be better off as round us prices are starting to drop