Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Standard of living comparison: UK vs Aus vs NZ

Wikiposts

Standard of living comparison: UK vs Aus vs NZ

Old Aug 9th 2004, 10:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standard of living comparison: UK vs Aus vs NZ

A few comments:

1. GDP (Gross Domestic Product) figures can be misleading where there is a high level of foreign investment in a country. For example, Ireland appears to be a lot richer than it really is when you look at GDP. Gross National Product (GNP) adjusts for flows of profits/dividends and is more meaningful.

2. At the margins, I think it's very difficult to say that one country is has a better standard of living than another. In my experience, the UK, Australia and Canada have a *broadly* similar standard of living. The US is ahead on average (although with more inequality) while NZ lags behind somewhat.

3. It's important not to confuse a country's *income* with its *wealth*. Quality of life tends to be higher in a country with a lot of wealth, where they have been able to invest in things like public infrastructure. Those countries who have recently climbed the income table (again, Ireland is a good example) will still take a generation or so to accumulate the public wealth that exists in the UK or Australia.

Jeremy

Originally Posted by The Don
Just got my free copy of The Economist's Pocket World in Figures (2004) so here's the lowdown for 2003.

GDP per head (in USD)

UK 23920
Aus 19070
NZ 13240

But it's smarter to use PPP or purchasing power parity to really compare what standard of living your earnings get you:

PPP per head (where USA = 100)

UK 71.0
Aus 71.8
NZ 53.2

So no more moaning you Aussies! It's official: Aus enjoys a better (average) standard of living than UK.

(I reckon the proportion of people in part-time jobs in the respective countries will influence this quite strongly.)

Edit: Also the number of families with 2 earners must influence this a lot, too.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

batsheva is an unknown quantity at this point

but spending power does not equate to quality of life - i have lived in all 3 countries and nz wins - hands down!

batsheva
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Standard of living comparison: UK vs Aus vs NZ

Originally Posted by batsheva
but spending power does not equate to quality of life - i have lived in all 3 countries and nz wins - hands down!

batsheva
...perhaps,....if you're a sheep
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:29 am
Just Joined

batsheva is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
...perhaps,....if you're a sheep

nah - the sheep we send to uk - havent you realized???