Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stamped Visa - Singapore Airlines - Increased Luggage Allowance

Stamped Visa - Singapore Airlines - Increased Luggage Allowance

Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:43 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice
Default Stamped Visa - Singapore Airlines - Increased Luggage Allowance

Hi,

I have been on the phone this afternoon to Singapore Airlines, i was asking about luggage allowance with Singapore Airlines. I stated that we will be flying one way to emigrate to Australia. We have validated our visa's, but the stamp was not on the visa. By this i mean when we arrived in Australia on our validation trip the stamp was on another page.

The Singapore airline lady stated that if you have a stamp on your PR visa, it is used or travelled on, and you are emigrating, you are only allowed 25kg.

But if you do not have a stamp on your PR visa, and are emigrating, then you are allowed double baggage allowance 40kg.

We have stamps, but not on our visa's, what do you all think?

Sweep.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Stamped Visa - Singapore Airlines - Increased Luggage Allowance

Is the price for the flight the same? I asked Qantas about their "special" fares for migrants and they said that in order to give you the 40kg allowance they are actually about 10-20% more. Haven't looked at Singapore yet.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:11 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

They never actually stamp over your visa. You do have a used visa in your passport because you have an entry stamp which is after your first entry date on the visa.

Maybe you'll get away with it, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 12:03 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a given that you'll get increased allowance anytime - it's totally discretionary.

If you do get somebody to agree to give you it, get it in writing (email) and print off to show the person at check-in.

We didn't get one despite my husband being a Gold Krisfyler member and both of us having clocked up many thousands of miles with SIA (although we got the extra 20kg for his being Gold, and we went way over it without penalty).

Never heard of a 25kg allowance.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Seasider
It's not a given that you'll get increased allowance anytime - it's totally discretionary.

If you do get somebody to agree to give you it, get it in writing (email) and print off to show the person at check-in.

We didn't get one despite my husband being a Gold Krisfyler member and both of us having clocked up many thousands of miles with SIA (although we got the extra 20kg for his being Gold, and we went way over it without penalty).

With SIA is is NOT discretionary - if you have an unused visa and a one way ticket you will get the double allowance. They tell you all the time and as long as you have the relevant visa, you'll be fine. I did and many others have. Spoke to SIA, they told me the situation as I abided by it so knew I would get it. No issue at all.

As for the 25kg allowance, most airlines flying from London Heathrow will give you this for free but this is more discretionary and depends on the level of the flight in terms of capacity. But 20kg is the usual, hence the 40kg allowance for emigration purposes.

No reason it should ever be an issue, unless you do not have the required unused visa, or a one-way ticket...
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Emirates give 30kg as standard, and 50kg on an unvalidated PR visa if you are on a one-way ticket (use the Moving Planet code)
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:08 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, slipshot.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, slipshot.
Fair enough. I did a fair bit of research prior to moving and it did seem that if you met the cirteria there were not any issues...

However, if you know of people that have met the criteria and been refused, that's not only wrong but probably causes all sorts of issues with excess baggage etc. Major PITA.

Hopefully it doesn;t happen that often but I guess we both agree that it should factual and easy to see whether you do or do not qualify and not down to the whim of the check in people. Air Babylon anyone?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation Re: Stamped Visa - Singapore Airlines - Increased Luggage Allowance

Warning

Our son and his wife flew out to Oz last year with Singapore Airlines, they gave him the 80kg (2x40kg)allowance but he took 90kg to checkin (last minute wedding gifts) and it cost him £200 extra, they would not give him any extra allowance over their 40kg allowance so double check your weight.

He sent one suitcase over as freight and then had to go and collect a week or so later in Brisbane and was then charged another $60 and this was the cheaper option.

I think he will aways weigh his luggage in the future

Not suggesting Singapore was wrong to do this.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 8:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
With SIA is is NOT discretionary - if you have an unused visa and a one way ticket you will get the double allowance. They tell you all the time and as long as you have the relevant visa, you'll be fine. I did and many others have. .
Also many others haven't, even with an unvalidated visa and a one way ticket. It depends on the check in personnel at any one time. The only way you can actually guarantee it is to have written proof from SIA head office confirming it's allowed, many times, if you doing a stop over in Singapore, that written approval needs to show that the allowance is agreed for the final leg as well. A few on here (and presumably many more in real life) have found that on check in in Singapore they have been charged for the extra baggage, at which point you don't have a lot of choice. I think it's been reclaimed later but not worth the risk when all you have to do is get an email confirming the amount.

Rules and regulations are all good on paper but if you have staff who've not read the book recently you're up shit creek at the one moment you don't need it
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I always thought it was quite clear that you were only entitled to the extra on an unvalidated visa. You have validated your visa, doesn't matter where the stamp is, so you are not entitled to it.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
I always thought it was quite clear that you were only entitled to the extra on an unvalidated visa. You have validated your visa, doesn't matter where the stamp is, so you are not entitled to it.
They're actually not allowed to stamp the visa. All the info on it has to remain clear to any official who needs to see it. Therefore the stamp goes on another page.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

You coud always start blubbering at check in - worked for me. Not that I blubbered intentionally - just couldn't help it
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Also many others haven't, even with an unvalidated visa and a one way ticket. It depends on the check in personnel at any one time. The only way you can actually guarantee it is to have written proof from SIA head office confirming it's allowed, many times, if you doing a stop over in Singapore, that written approval needs to show that the allowance is agreed for the final leg as well. A few on here (and presumably many more in real life) have found that on check in in Singapore they have been charged for the extra baggage, at which point you don't have a lot of choice. I think it's been reclaimed later but not worth the risk when all you have to do is get an email confirming the amount.

Rules and regulations are all good on paper but if you have staff who've not read the book recently you're up shit creek at the one moment you don't need it
Have to agree with moneypenny20, we emailed Singapore Airlines and they agreed the extra allowance, we printed that agreement and gave it to our son.

So when he went over that 40kg allowance thats why they charged him!!

(Mum didn't pack for him that time).

When we flew out to see him last year we took 20kg, we spoke to the Singapore Airline desk and that is where we were told for normal travellers they usually allow up to 25kg before they charge extra, but they do not put that in writing. Thia August we will try it with 23kg each and a prayer.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

When we emigrated we flew with SIA having validated our visas a few months before. I e-mailed them to explain the situation and they confirmed in writing that they would allow us 30kg each. (Total 60kg allowance)
When we actually came to leave we had 3 suitcases with a total weight of 90kg. We had my Dad hanging around check in ready to take one back but as it happened they let us check in all three with no extra charges.
I asked if the flight was busy and explained that we were emigrating with an infant and the check-in lady was most helpful

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.