Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stamp duty exempt for 1st home buyers,does UK count??

Stamp duty exempt for 1st home buyers,does UK count??

Old Sep 15th 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

SunnyMD will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: Stamp duty exempt for 1st home buyers,does UK count??

Originally Posted by longreach
Thats not strictly true. In QLD, the actual wording is...

"For the first home concession, you must never have held an interest in other residential land in Queensland or elsewhere"
Hi

We submitted our application for Home/First Home discount this weekend - we were advised by our solicitor that homes in the UK disqualify us from the First Home discount but on the form there is a question regarding previous home ownership :

"Before acquiring this property have you ever held interest in residential land in Queensland or elsewhere?"

I ticked the box to say Yes (thereby disqualifying us from first home discount) but also wrote UK in large letters next to the tick box

So I'm waiting to see what they do !
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of
Default Re: Stamp duty exempt for 1st home buyers,does UK count??

Originally Posted by SunnyMD
Hi

We submitted our application for Home/First Home discount this weekend - we were advised by our solicitor that homes in the UK disqualify us from the First Home discount but on the form there is a question regarding previous home ownership :

"Before acquiring this property have you ever held interest in residential land in Queensland or elsewhere?"

I ticked the box to say Yes (thereby disqualifying us from first home discount) but also wrote UK in large letters next to the tick box

So I'm waiting to see what they do !
There is a fair bit of confusion surrounding this... even with solicitors.

The main confusion IN QLD is that the wording is slightly different for the First Home Owners Grant and the Stamp Duty Concession for First Home Buyers.

One is "owned a home in Australia" while the other is "in QLD and elsewhere".

Thus for those buying in QLD who have held property in the UK, they get the FHOG but not the Stamp Duty concession.

I know it bizzare.

Good luck with it all.