Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stage 1 Marriage visa & first time buyers grant

Wikiposts

Stage 1 Marriage visa & first time buyers grant

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice
Question Stage 1 Marriage visa & first time buyers grant

Can anyone please help?

I know this question has probably been asked before...but I am eligible for the first time home buyers grant?

My husband is Australia, we are entering Oz on the spouse/marriage visa. I will be on the stage one visa/temp. residency visa?

The reason i ask is National Bank said they will allow us to borrow 80-90% (even though I will be a temp resident!!!!) but that they didn't think we would be able to apply for the Home Buyers Grant, and would need to allow therefore 5% of the property value to duties/taxes etc.

Does anyone know if we will be eligible? We could really do with $7000
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice
Default Re: Stage 1 Marriage visa & first time buyers grant

I don't know the answer to this, but it was something that I have been wondering about as well, as I will be in the same situation. I will be awaiting an answer too.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pako
My husband is Australia

Thats alot for one girl

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 2:19 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

Hiya

Were going under SIR which is initially a temp visa.. and we are not entitled to first time grant I too, could be doing with the extra ££££. I believe you have to have a permanent visa to be entitled.

Karen
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 2:54 am
oneday someday

jas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

Thats alot for one girl

Cheers,
JTL
My first thought exactly!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sye
Hiya

Were going under SIR which is initially a temp visa.. and we are not entitled to first time grant I too, could be doing with the extra ££££. I believe you have to have a permanent visa to be entitled.

Karen
I think, but I could be wrong, that as long as one of the applicants is Australian or a permanent resident, and providing neither of you have ever owned property in Australia before, then you would be entitled to the grant.

Last edited by sassie; Mar 3rd 2005 at 3:00 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 4:51 am
Just Joined

miro is an unknown quantity at this point

I also read somewhere that (at least in Victoria) the price of the house has 2 b less than $500 k.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Thanks guys,

I'm sure I've read somewhere that as long as my hubby is an aussie that we are entitled to it? Just can't think where I've read it

As for the house been under $500k, it most definitely will be we're first time buyers and not that flush
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Found the quote been searching for ages...it was on www.sro.vic.gov.au under the first time home buyers grant bit....

"At least one applicant for the grant must be a permanent resident or Australian citizen at the time of settlement or completion of construction of the home"

What you reckon, sound like I'll be okay???
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:26 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pako
Found the quote been searching for ages...it was on www.sro.vic.gov.au under the first time home buyers grant bit....

"At least one applicant for the grant must be a permanent resident or Australian citizen at the time of settlement or completion of construction of the home"

What you reckon, sound like I'll be okay???
Sounds to me like you'd probably be eligible. Suggest you check out the website - http://www.firsthome.gov.au/ - for your particular circumstances.

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 3:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader
Sounds to me like you'd probably be eligible. Suggest you check out the website - http://www.firsthome.gov.au/ - for your particular circumstances.

The National Bank is one of those that we talked to, They said no mortgage without my temp residence becoming PR (or 20% down) but they DID say that we are DEFINITELY eligible for the grant as we are first time buyers
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The National Bank is one of those that we talked to, They said no mortgage without my temp residence becoming PR (or 20% down) but they DID say that we are DEFINITELY eligible for the grant as we are first time buyers
Try buy the house in just one persons name that way when you move house one of you will still be entitled to the first home buyers grant and also any other stamp duty concessions. Maybe if the bank needs both your wages to approve the loan one of you could be a guarantor, ask them it seems a shame to waste both your grants at the same time.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 10:15 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

According to the Office of State Revenue here in Qld:

To be eligible for the base $7,000 grant, you must have completed an eligible transaction in relation to the purchase or construction of a home that is your first home and must satisfy certain eligibility criteria. The eligibility criteria are as follows. (All criteria must be satisfied for you to be eligible.)

* You must be at least 18 years of age on the date of entering into the eligible transaction. (An exemption from this requirement may be considered in certain circumstances)
* You must be a natural person (i.e. not a company or person acting in the capacity of trustee)
* You, or a joint applicant, must be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident.
* You or your spouse must not have received an earlier grant under the First Home Owner Grant Act 2000 or under an Act of an Australian State or Territory providing for payment of a first home owner grant, unless the earlier grant has been repaid.
* You or your spouse must not have previously owned an interest in residential property in Australia prior to 1 July 2000. This includes investment homes.
* You or your spouse must not have, on or after 1 July 2000, owned an interest in residential property in Australia and lived in that property.
* You must occupy the home for which the grant is claimed as your principal place of residence within one year after the eligible transaction for the home is completed.

All applicants who enter into an eligible transaction on or after 1 January 2004 must occupy the home as their principal place of residence within 1 year of completion of the eligible transaction and remain in continuous occupation for a period of at least 6 months.
This info from here

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Mar 4th 2005, 4:09 pm
T&P
Forum Regular

T&P is on a distinguished road

Hi there!

We got it!

Hubby is Australian and I am English.

We started house buying process/applied for grant while over in Australia on holiday before I even had my visa, and it all went through before we moved here permanently. We just had to move in within 12 months.

As you hubby is Australian you will have no problems.

House is in NSW - 1st time buyers was $7000.

Good luck.

T
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Koza is on a distinguished road

You can buy house in one name, but you can't apply for the FHOG in one name, if you have a spouse. The spouse is someone you have been living with for 2 years.

As for initial question - yes, you are eligible, if your husband hasn't owned a house before.

By the way, it's more than 7K, as in some states (NSW and QLD for sure) you don't have to pay stamp duty with the FHOG, so it's extra 2K (for QLD)