Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Old Aug 25th 2010, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I would never ever have anything that could lock its jaws in.
Lock jaw is actually a fallacy. No dog can actually lock it's jaws. It really boils down to jaw strength.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

kooga is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Lock jaw is actually a fallacy. No dog can actually lock it's jaws. It really boils down to jaw strength.
So true. Also many claim to be owners of "Staffs" even though they have no kennel cliub registration to prove it, pedigree paper means nothing. Dog in the subway attacking that poor lab is not a staff either, ears too big and wrong shape tail,not to mention its height
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:14 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kooga
So true. Also many claim to be owners of "Staffs" even though they have no kennel cliub registration to prove it, pedigree paper means nothing. Dog in the subway attacking that poor lab is not a staff either, ears too big and wrong shape tail,not to mention its height
And the stupid bastard gave away the dog so it wouldnt be destroyed. That attack was unprovoked, that poor woman and her dog. Now that dog is able to do that to someone elses pet.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Suffocate them ie. put your hand over their nostrils. They will let go to take a breath of air. Something every Staffy/Bully owner should know.
If you want to remove a dog from yours simply grab both of it's front legs and rip them apart, this will force the rib cage through the chest cavity, it will most likely kill the dog but that is fair play when it is attacking yours. This can be difficult with breeds such as the pitbull due to the muscles in the chest but still possible.

Also the fact remains that there are plenty of awesome staffies, pitbulls etc out there and they are great dogs but if you put a pitbull and a golden retriever in exactly the same environment their entire life the pitbull would still be more likely to attack due to it's genetic makeup and years of breeding than the GR and no one can argue with that. On top of this fact, the potential damage factor is much larger with the pitbull.

Last edited by Fluid36; Aug 26th 2010 at 3:39 am.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluid36
If you want to remove a dog from yours simply grab both of it's front legs and rip them apart, this will force the rib cage through the chest cavity, it will most likely kill the dog but that is fair play when it is attacking yours. This can be difficult with breeds such as the pitbull due to the muscles in the chest but still possible.
That is also a load of rubbish. An urban myth. It's physiologically not possible. Ripping the legs apart will more likely dislocate the legs.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluid36

Also the fact remains that there are plenty of awesome staffies, pitbulls etc out there and they are great dogs but if you put a pitbull and a golden retriever in exactly the same environment their entire life the pitbull would still be more likely to attack due to it's genetic makeup and years of breeding than the GR and no one can argue with that. On top of this fact, the potential damage factor is much larger with the pitbull.
Anybody who thinks that removing a large attacking dog (of any breed) from their own dog without the risk of serious injury to themselves, has not been in that position very often IMO.
Even with knowledge of a workable technique, ie covering the nose, not the above, it's very possible that the dog will turn it's attention on you and if your hands/face are in range, you could find yourself in a lot of trouble.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Anybody who thinks that removing a large attacking dog (of any breed) from their own dog without the risk of serious injury to themselves, has not been in that position very often IMO.
Even with knowledge of a workable technique, ie covering the nose, not the above, it's very possible that the dog will turn it's attention on you and if your hands/face are in range, you could find yourself in a lot of trouble.
If you approach the dog from behind and control it's head it can't bite you. Control the head you control the dog.

Granted though for most people it would be better letting the dogs owner do it.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

If you approach the dog from behind and control it's head it can't bite you. Control the head you control the dog.

Granted though for most people it would be better letting the dogs owner do it.
I agree with what you say in principle, but it would very much depend on the size of the dog and your own relevant strength, I certainly wouldn't advise anyone taking hold of a vicious 50kg Rottie that was in full flow, as unless your very experienced and strong, your likely to lose big time.

Last edited by geordiebloke; Aug 26th 2010 at 6:11 am.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:59 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is though, I couldnt stand by and let my little dog be killed/ripped apart, I would do what I had to.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Trouble is though, I couldnt stand by and let my little dog be killed/ripped apart, I would do what I had to.
yep, I fully understand and would probably do likewise, I would just hate to think that some people might think it's as easy as knowing where and when to take hold of the attacking dog.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:29 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

What a load of bollocks... try it with this animal and see how you get on.

Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:32 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Suffocate them ie. put your hand over their nostrils. They will let go to take a breath of air. Something every Staffy/Bully owner should know.
If anybody actually tries to do this can I recommend that you only try it with the hand you can best do without. A Pitbull will probably take your arm off.

....and if anybody doubts that, I can post the Youtube vid of where one does exactly that, to its owner.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

yep, I fully understand and would probably do likewise, I would just hate to think that some people might think it's as easy as knowing where and when to take hold of the attacking dog.
The thing with most attacking dogs is that they have tunnel vision and are completely oblivious to the goings on around them. They are 100% focused on the other dog.

It's actually not that difficult but does require a certain amount of strength depending on the dog.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
What a load of bollocks... try it with this animal and see how you get on.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9erwN6K9OnA
That guy had no idea what he was doing. Secondly, the dog attacked him and he did everything wrong. We are talking about when a dog has another dog in it's mouth.

Have you ever owned a dog?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
If anybody actually tries to do this can I recommend that you only try it with the hand you can best do without. A Pitbull will probably take your arm off.

....and if anybody doubts that, I can post the Youtube vid of where one does exactly that, to its owner.
I have actually done it and I got bitten by the other dog.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.