Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Hostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant future
Default Re: Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

I know I am probably repeating what many have said.

As an experienced dog owner/handler, yes a majority of the time it is how they are reared and their exposure/experience with other dogs and humans is extremely important. It is the case however, particularly with pure breeds that you just get a 'nasty' dog. It is like an illness or deformity in a human being.

Getting any dog is a risk. They are all one step away from being wild.

Be responsible, train them. If they show signs of nastiness be very careful or (dare I say it), put it down. Not an option I would ever willingly take.

Looking forward to many more

Hostess
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
A chihuahua could be a dangerous dog. Just because a dog is a Pitbull does not mean that the dog is dangerous. There are a lot of other factors that come into play. Nature vs nurture.

Is a murderer born or created by society?
Well said.

Take a look at a friends dog from the little girls point of view;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFyD3KiGspU

This is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier a 14-16" at the shoulder small breed, the only breed to have 'totally reliable' in it's breed standard and one of only two breeds to make mention in their standard of it's suitability with children from over 200 breeds in the UK.

Meanwhile I have 5 Staffords a couple are PAT Dogs (pets as therapy), all either have or do compete in agility and or obedience, most of all they excel at being family dogs and there is no breed I'd rather have. Each to their own but don't judge a 'breed'. Having worked in rescue for a good few years dealing just with Staffords they are a breed with a devotion to humans, a large heart and due to their popularity (5th most popular in UK) this brings about huge rescue problems as it does with any breed throughout history that is too popular, I for one am hoping the market falls out and 'my' breed can go back to how it was before the numpties cames along.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit if I see a pitbull type of dog I do worry that my children or dogs will be attacked.But to be honest I have never known anyone with one so I have no idea apart from the media coverage what sort of dogs they are.I do know that on rescue ink the amount of cruelty to the breed in America is terrible and I know a lot of them are re homed and have made good pets.So the type of people that own dogs in my opinion must make a big difference.Sue.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Well said.

Take a look at a friends dog from the little girls point of view;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFyD3KiGspU

This is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier a 14-16" at the shoulder small breed, the only breed to have 'totally reliable' in it's breed standard and one of only two breeds to make mention in their standard of it's suitability with children from over 200 breeds in the UK.

Meanwhile I have 5 Staffords a couple are PAT Dogs (pets as therapy), all either have or do compete in agility and or obedience, most of all they excel at being family dogs and there is no breed I'd rather have. Each to their own but don't judge a 'breed'. Having worked in rescue for a good few years dealing just with Staffords they are a breed with a devotion to humans, a large heart and due to their popularity (5th most popular in UK) this brings about huge rescue problems as it does with any breed throughout history that is too popular, I for one am hoping the market falls out and 'my' breed can go back to how it was before the numpties cames along.
I know what you mean about hoping your breed of dog goes out of fashion so to speak as I felt the same when some idiots were buying rotties for the wrong reasons and their dogs were nothing like my rottie who was trained and loved and well cared for.Sue.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:53 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem that I have is when owners know that their dog is not good with other dogs yet they still let it off the leash.

If you know your dog is not good with others, keep it leashed - simple. If you dont and your dog attacks mine then I will do what I have in order to defend my dog - whatever it takes.

We had a dog killed in our park - it was a small fluffy dog attacked by two staffies, the staffies were destroyed and the owner fined but that is no consolation for the owner that witnessed it.

My dog has been attacked a few times and just recently has started to get very growly with any dog that places its paw on his back.

If it is not good with other dogs then control it.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
The problem that I have is when owners know that their dog is not good with other dogs yet they still let it off the leash.

If you know your dog is not good with others, keep it leashed - simple. If you dont and your dog attacks mine then I will do what I have in order to defend my dog - whatever it takes.

We had a dog killed in our park - it was a small fluffy dog attacked by two staffies, the staffies were destroyed and the owner fined but that is no consolation for the owner that witnessed it.

My dog has been attacked a few times and just recently has started to get very growly with any dog that places its paw on his back.

If it is not good with other dogs then control it.
I agree with you about keeping your dog leashed if not good with other dogs.It is so simple but some people seem to have trouble with doing it.

My lab/kelpie was attacked the other day not badly but it is so scary and it can change the way they act with other dogs.Sue.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:20 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petensue
I agree with you about keeping your dog leashed if not good with other dogs.It is so simple but some people seem to have trouble with doing it.

My lab/kelpie was attacked the other day not badly but it is so scary and it can change the way they act with other dogs.Sue.
I was only told about this womans dog being killed last week and it shook me up.

Rocky goes mad when a dog puts a paw on his back, he really is jumpy and snappy and if certain dogs approach him while he is on the leash, he starts to growl.

If my dog was injured by another dog attacking it I would personally make sure the owner paid for it and I would have them reported to the ranger and they can stomach the fine.

Why the hell should their dog be allowed off the leash when they know their dog isnt good with other dogs?

And another thing, my boss told me that last Monday he was walking through his local park where dogs are not allowed off the leash but the dog owners tend to pay the fines if they are caught just to give their dog a run.

He was telling me that he heard this thudding noise and a kangaroo came hopping out followed in hot pursuit by a large GSD running after it growling his head off. My boss said the owner was laughing and told him 'he loves doing that'.

I sincerely hope the roo turns round and kicks the shit out of the dog or the owner. The dogs on the leash rule is there for a reason and being prepared to pay the fines so your dog can have a run is one thing but will that person take responsibility when their dog attacks or is attacked by wildlife?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:05 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
A chihuahua could be a dangerous dog. Just because a dog is a Pitbull does not mean that the dog is dangerous. There are a lot of other factors that come into play. Nature vs nurture.

Is a murderer born or created by society?
Good question... I believe the Pit Bull was bred to be a fighting dog.. bred to attack and kill other dogs.. so a BORN killer?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

My concern is not only regarding PitBull but all such dangerous dogs may they be large as Great Dane or small as Japanese Akita. To me owning a ferocious dog doesn't make sense unless you are a Mexican druglord, Afghan warlord or a Mongol chieftain.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:44 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
My concern is not only regarding PitBull but all such dangerous dogs may they be large as Great Dane or small as Japanese Akita. To me owning a ferocious dog doesn't make sense unless you are a Mexican druglord, Afghan warlord or a Mongol chieftain.
A great dane is a dangerous dog?

Only if you're a villain and you've run out of scooby snacks.

Or perhaps if it sits or shits on you.

Last edited by Dreamy; Aug 23rd 2010 at 5:48 am. Reason: blame iamthecreaturefromuranus for the edit :D
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:45 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dreamy
A great dane is a dangerous dog?

Only if you're a villain and you've run out of scooby snacks.

Or perhaps if it craps on you.

I wouldn't want one to sit on me.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:47 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I wouldn't want one to sit on me.
lol..

::amends original post to include ' or if it sits on you'::

:-P
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Good question... I believe the Pit Bull was bred to be a fighting dog.. bred to attack and kill other dogs.. so a BORN killer?
Actually the Pitbull was bred to be a working dog on farms and ranches in the US. It was utilised as a fighting dog later because of it's gameness.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy
lol..

::amends original post to include ' or if it sits on you'::

:-P
The turds these dogs produce are enormous, log flumes spring to mind.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Hostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant future

turds with muscle and attitude

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.