Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:52 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...and bloody rightly so.

Keeping an animal as a family pet that is capable of biting your arm clean off is bordering on insanity.... and don't start giving me nonsense about how it's "all the fault of the owners". Certain breeds of dogs are MUCH more likely to attack than other breeds... and the Pit Bull holds pride of place in that group.

"In the 3-year period from 2006 to 2008, pit bull type dogs killed 52 Americans and accounted for 59% of all fatal attacks. Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 73% of these deaths"

All the fault of the owners?
100% agree,

What is the point of a big dog? People worry about secondary smoke but you are allowed to walk down a street with a dog as big as a lion attached to a thin peice of leather, absolutely crazy and anybody who says they can predict a dog's actions 100% of the time is a bit deluded

To all the staffy owners that love em and think they're great with kids, they are or until recently were responsible for more attacks on children than all other breeds of dog put together... They can't all have had bad owners
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
To all the staffy owners that love em and think they're great with kids, they are or until recently were responsible for more attacks on children than all other breeds of dog put together... They can't all have had bad owners
I would actually say in the last 10 to 20 years in the UK staffies did generally get a reputation for being aggressive and therefore attracted owners with that mentality in the same way as flying the st. george cross was associated with racism which stopped many proud englishmen from flying their flag.

When you look at the figures you have to consider how many are cross breeds which can be a lot less predicatable the pure breeds.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Evidence?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stevie87db
Hi folks just wondering if the Stafford is a recognised breed in Australia and if they are welcome? I have a staff bitch and she is only just turned an adult she will be 2 on saturday!! Missy does everything with us she is a total gem of a dog! There is a lot of bad press on these dogs which is totally undeserved.If they are brought up by respectfull and responsible owners they are saints. Would there be any complications on taking her to OZ with me because of her breed??
Popular breed here. I brought my 4 Staffords out with me, used Overhills first class treatment
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:59 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevie87db
Hi folks just wondering if the Stafford is a recognised breed in Australia and if they are welcome? I have a staff bitch and she is only just turned an adult she will be 2 on saturday!! Missy does everything with us she is a total gem of a dog! There is a lot of bad press on these dogs which is totally undeserved.If they are brought up by respectfull and responsible owners they are saints. Would there be any complications on taking her to OZ with me because of her breed??
We love them here, my avatar, is a mates, Staffie with his favourite squeeky toy stuffed in his gob, great dogs and good family defenders .......MM
Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
As per your quote it states "pit bull type". That doesn't mean they are Pit Bulls at all, just Pit Bull type. That could mean Pit Bull, Staffy, Bully, or a cross. It could also mean Dogo Argentino which looks similar to the uneducated but is not even related.

'Pit Bull' has become a catch all.
Hair splitting... if the dog is a pure bred American Pitbull or not is utterly irrelevant. We all know what types of dogs can be overly aggressive and the 'pit bull type' sits firmly at the top of that tree.

I find it bizarre that people can fully except that other humans can unexpectedly attack people for no obvious reason, but will roll out that clapped out line of "my dog would never do anything like that".
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Hair splitting... if the dog is a pure bred American Pitbull or not is utterly irrelevant. We all know what types of dogs can be overly aggressive and the 'pit bull type' sits firmly at the top of that tree.

I find it bizarre that people can fully except that other humans can unexpectedly attack people for no obvious reason, but will roll out that clapped out line of "my dog would never do anything like that".
Pit Bulls are generally dog aggressive a not human aggressive. Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shepherds tend to be more human aggressive. I agree with you though, animals can be unpredictable and these dogs require the owners to be very responsible.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Some dogs attacks may be out of the blue.My dog has just had a fit and when we took her to the garden for fresh air she did not know us or where she was and bit me which is very out of character.

A lot of the attacks are because some owners are drawn to certain types of dog who do not know how to treat or train them and are often cruel to them.Then all the responsible owners of these breeds are treated as if they are idiots by some.Sue.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Pit Bulls are generally dog aggressive a not human aggressive. Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shepherds tend to be more human aggressive. I agree with you though, animals can be unpredictable and these dogs require the owners to be very responsible.

There is some irony in this statement but it is true. Pit bulls were bread on their traits that they would be agressive towards other dogs, and not towards humans.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:05 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevenglish
I love the fact that most of em are total fruit loops. Only small dog worth having I reckon, I agree that you have to be equally nuts to own one
Bought our fella over from blighty - Max (yes as mad as the rest!)

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Pit bulls were bread on their traits that they would be agressive towards other dogs, and not towards humans.
Mine falls true to this. Gets on with 'some' dogs, but takes a keen disliking to others. Humans he just goes crazy for and could prob only kill one by kissing them to death!

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Recent fury by 3 Staffies in Australia
Killer dogs free

Dog survives being shot six times

Pit bull attacks lady
Dog nature seems to be becoming more unpredictable
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Recent fury by 3 Staffies in Australia
Killer dogs free
They weren't Staffies, the were Staffy crosses. Big difference.

German Shepherd, again not a Staffy.

Pit bull attacks lady
Dog nature seems to be becoming more unpredictable
From the article "Believed to be Pitbulls or Pitbull crosses"

So what they are saying is that they don't really know what the breed is but Pitbull is a good catch all so lets blame it on them.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:46 am
Just Joined

Hostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Bought our fella over from blighty - Max (yes as mad as the rest!)

Mine falls true to this. Gets on with 'some' dogs, but takes a keen disliking to others. Humans he just goes crazy for and could prob only kill one by kissing them to death!

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...00/_IL1201.jpg
AAAHHH Maxi Boy x x x x x
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

So what they are saying is that they don't really know what the breed is but Pitbull is a good catch all so lets blame it on them.
I appreciate your knowledge about dog breeds and their characteristics which common people fail to identify.

The point is dangerous dog is a dangerous dog and it has no place in an urbane and civilized world. The owner's love towards a dangerous dog can turn out to be a costly liability when he is made to pay fines. I believe, all such dogs should only be licensed to police and military. For general public, small pookies and poodles are enough.

Last edited by mpgrewal; Aug 23rd 2010 at 1:56 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
I appreciate your knowledge about dog breeds and their characteristics which common people fail to identify.

The point is dangerous dog is a dangerous dog and it has no place in an urbane and civilized world. The owner's love towards a dangerous dog can turn out to be a costly liability when he is made to pay fines. I believe, all such dogs should only be licensed to police and military. For general public, small pookies and poodles are enough.
A chihuahua could be a dangerous dog. Just because a dog is a Pitbull does not mean that the dog is dangerous. There are a lot of other factors that come into play. Nature vs nurture.

Is a murderer born or created by society?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.