Reload this Page >

Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Banning breeds of dogs doesn't work and has been proved not to work. The numpties just move onto other breeds.

I have 5 Staffordshire Bull Terriers they are one of only two breeds recognized as 'suitable with children' and the only breed from over to 200 to have 'totally reliable' in their breed standard. One girl I have has been a Pets As Therapy girl for over 10 years she worked in hospices, with a cancer surgeon when people were told if they did/didn't have cancer and the odd home for the elderly including one old chap that wanted her at his funeral and so we went along, space on the front pew was kept for her

A Pomeranian (toy breed) killed a child, so have Dalamatians, Dachshund, Border Collie, Labrador, Lab Ret, Jack Russell, Greyhound, Belgian Shepherd etc and many many other breeds the media only seems to concentrate on the bull breeds. I wish my breed was rare, I wish the numpties would move onto another breed or better still not have a dog. The SBT gets blamed for any incident involving a short haired, brindle dog - The Lab and Border collie along with the GSD bite more people in the UK.

The SBT as a breed is not a big dog it should be just 14-16" at the shoulder and not the huge 'types of crosses' that you see in urban areas and described as Staffords/Staffies. These same type of owners ruined the reputation of the Alsatian (GSD) in the 1970's. The SBT is a people friendly dog, hopeless as a 'guard' for your home.

Having co-ordinated SBT rescue in the UK before we migrated for many years, homing about 200 per year all dogs/homes assessed there is for me no better breed on this planet, with some of the abuse and cruelty dogs are subjected to. None of the dogs that needed rehoming were from breeders that we knew, most weren't KC regd.......... people should research breeds they are interested in, only buy from responsible breeders that are health testing and these breeders will take a dog back at any age, they find the best homes.....

Dogs deserve better more informed owners, instead of numpties having a dog for the sake of it, putting them outside, keeping on a chain, allowing them to roam, to cause a nuisance etc. Much like children they need a great deal of time and effort put into them. Training for life skills is a 24/7 job dogs learn so very much from us and are so good at reading us, it's a shame many people seem unable to do the same............. until the above paragraph is adhered to (by whatever means) just carry on blaming breeds and nothing will change.
...and back in the real world, where all dogs are not pampered pooches, with owners able to dedicate vast percentages of their lives to them, certain breeds ARE more likely to maim and kill. Constantly denying that fact and throwing up smoke screens about all dogs being able to bite, won't change that fact.
Spare me the "it's all the fault of the owners" mantra please.

"23 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2008. Pit bull type dogs were responsible for 65% (15). Pit bulls make up approximately 5% of the U.S. dog population.
In 2008, only one U.S. citizen over the age of 3 was killed by a breed other than a pit bull"

http://www.dogsbite.org/bite-fatalities-2008.htm
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
That's a bit misleading. The article states Staffordshire cross, not a Staffordshire. Big difference. And there's no evidence that the dogs were either a pitbull or Staffy cross.
I think if they don't know the breed of dog it is always a pitbull or staffy cross.My rescue dog was called a staffy cross though a lot of people say he does not have any staffy in him!

I must admit when I am out with my dogs it scares me the number of dogs that seem to be left in their yards and the highlight of their day is to go mad when anyone goes past.They are so wound up and even attack the other dog if there are two.I dread to think what they would do if they got out.

A friend of mine was attacked when a dog got out it was a lab but that does not make the news.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...and back in the real world, where all dogs are not pampered pooches, with owners able to dedicate vast percentages of their lives to them, certain breeds ARE more likely to maim and kill. Constantly denying that fact and throwing up smoke screens about all dogs being able to bite, won't change that fact.
Spare me the "it's all the fault of the owners" mantra please.

"23 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2008. Pit bull type dogs were responsible for 65% (15). Pit bulls make up approximately 5% of the U.S. dog population.
In 2008, only one U.S. citizen over the age of 3 was killed by a breed other than a pit bull"

http://www.dogsbite.org/bite-fatalities-2008.htm
I wonder what the owners were like that owned these pitbull types?They type that use them for dog fighting,starve them or just tied up as a guard dog?

I must admit they scare me but I have never had much to do with them but I do know that American dog trainer whose name I cannot remember seems to be able to train them to be good pets.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by petensue
I wonder what the owners were like that owned these pitbull types?They type that use them for dog fighting,starve them or just tied up as a guard dog?
Why the assumption that all their owners treated them like crap?. If you read the link I posted you'll see that some, probably most, were simply family pets.

I must admit they scare me but I have never had much to do with them but I do know that American dog trainer whose name I cannot remember seems to be able to train them to be good pets.
Ceaser Millan. Interestingly I watched one of his shows only yesterday. In it he was trying to calm down some angry little mutt. He introduced it to his American Pit Bull and Rottie... when the little dog continued barking at his Pit Bull he picked it up with the comment "that you can only push a Pit Bull so far".
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Why the assumption that all their owners treated them like crap?. If you read the link I posted you'll see that some, probably most, were simply family pets.

Ceaser Millan. Interestingly I watched one of his shows only yesterday. In it he was trying to calm down some angry little mutt. He introduced it to his American Pit Bull and Rottie... when the little dog continued barking at his Pit Bull he picked it up with the comment "that you can only push a Pit Bull so far".
I am not saying all the owners treat them like crap I am just saying that I would imagine a lot do as they attract some not very nice people.

The family pet thing is also quoted when a dog attacks,I think it makes the attack seem nothing to do with the owner as it was the dog just turning bad out of the blue.I am not saying it does not happen but just a different point of view.

I remember in one case the family pet was a dog that the step dad had bought from someone down the pub and the owner was selling it because it had already attacked someone!He did not care about his step children but wanted a guard dog!Some people have odd ideas about family pets and I saw this American women with pit bull types chained up in her garden referred to as her pets and it seems quite normal in America after watching Rescue Ink.

I just feel so angry that some people should never be allowed to have dogs as a lot of the attacks could have been avoided with a bit of common sense.

Ceaser Millan that's the man!I must admit I don't know anything about pit bulls as I don't know anyone who has owned one apart from seeing pit bull types when out with my dogs and I try to keep away from them.

Last edited by petensue; Feb 15th 2011 at 12:48 am.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:48 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Here's a pic of my predator.

Be afraid...be very afraid
..and mine.

Thing is though, I bet even the people who's dog went on to kill somebody could produce pictures like these. Certain breeds are MUCH more likely to attack, and sustain that attack, than other breeds, regardless of how 'good' their owners are.

They need to be eliminated.
And they say that dogs look like their masters/mistresses
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulry
He sleeps even more than I do. !
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:03 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

..and mine.

Thing is though, I bet even the people who's dog went on to kill somebody could produce pictures like these. Certain breeds are MUCH more likely to attack, and sustain that attack, than other breeds, regardless of how 'good' their owners are.

They need to be eliminated.
I actually agree with you.
I consider myself to be a responsible dog owner and it makes me sick that there are people who actually breed aggressive traits into dogs.
I was bitten by a dog as a child (and can still remember the tetanus injection in my bum!) so I have a healthy respect for all dogs.

At the same time that we got the dog in the pic (who we have had for 10 years), we also rescued a german shepherd cross. After we had had him for 6 months he began to bare his teeth at my daughter, who was then a toddler. It was quite frightening and unfortunately we had to put him down.
I love animals but kids come first.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:04 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Beautiful you mean?
She's a grey old thing now but was very pretty when she was younger