Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier in Oz?

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier in Oz?

Old Jan 20th 2005, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default The Staffordshire Bull Terrier in Oz?

Hi everyone.

How is the breed looked upon is my question in Australia?

I ask as I will be taking my 3yr dog with me. Over here in the UK unfortunately the breed doesn't hold a very good name On occasions I've had people cross the road rather than walk past me and my dog which I find a shame as he'd only kiss them to death given the chance, never attack anyone unless he thought his own was in trouble. Ok, I'm sure the fact that every other Chav seems to dangle one from their wrist doesn't help, but they really are a lovely breed. Contrary to belief, they are very good with children. The Kennel Club in the UK will ONLY recommend 2 breed of dogs as 'good with children', one of those is the STB.

I have 6 Boy's and 2 bitches for sale £500 ea

Lol, ok did sound like a bit of an advert there, but honestly, how is the breed seen in Oz?

Oh and none for sale really
Old Jan 20th 2005, 6:32 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Staffordshire Bull Terrier in Oz?

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Hi everyone.

I ask as I will be taking my 3yr dog with me. Over here in the UK unfortunately the breed doesn't hold a very good name On occasions I've had people cross the road rather than walk past me and my dog which I find a shame as he'd only kiss them to death given the chance, never attack anyone unless he thought his own was in trouble. Ok, I'm sure the fact that every other Chav seems to dangle one from their wrist doesn't help, but they really are a lovely breed. Contrary to belief, they are very good with children. The Kennel Club in the UK will ONLY recommend 2 breed of dogs as 'good with children', one of those is the STB.

Lol, ok did sound like a bit of an advert there, but honestly, how is the breed seen in Oz?

Hi there

I agree they are lovely dogs.

At no:2 in the top 20 list so they must be popular

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/showdog...gs.asp?group=2

Sel x
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:24 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi everyone.

Hiya,
I don't know if thereare any vets on the forum

We had one when I was younger, great dog's. Soft & very mis-understood.

Bye
Mark
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Hi everyone.

Well i hope as i have promised my little girl she can have one when we get there.
You can buy them out in Oz i am presuming?
If so, the Staffy has managed to get a visa before most of us
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about

We will be shipping stanley over with us if we ever get to migrate, think if he could not go we would probably stay here in the UK

So it's good news they are thought of well over there.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:35 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

There was a thread recently on this. You'll have to do a search.
The only dogs restricted in QLD are Fila Brasilero, Japanese Tosa, American Pitbull Terrier and Dogo Argentino, cross breeds of these are also restricted.
In our shire these breeds are totally outlawed and ownership is prohibited.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:43 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone.

But are they any use in rounding up sheep?
Old Jan 20th 2005, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

kyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nice

Hi everyone.

I ask as I will be taking my 3yr dog with me.
I am pretty sure SBT are on the 'ok' list. We have only just got Ruben (baby ROO) he is 7 weeks old. we won't be going anywhere without him!!!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Yeah we checked the SBT was ok to take with us to Oz first thing. As much as we all want to go, NO WAY would we without him, he loves the sun! ...lol

Well I was expecting a negative respone, law of averages I spose, but so far so good
Old Jan 21st 2005, 3:21 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

There are loads of staffies over here, Perth is full on the doggy beach.
One thing I do find odd though the pet trade here like crossing absolutley everything, in the pet shops I have seen just about every breed crossed with something else, and Yeh have seen a staffy/jack russel cross, now that may be one mean mutt.
I like staffies its all down to the owner I reckon on how they bought them up as pups.

Jenny
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:13 am
Account Closed

Yes I've seen a cross between the Staffie & the Jack Russell, strange looking thing it was ...lol. My Max had the chop in an atempt to slow him down in the early days as he was, and still is a very excitable dog. There was a spate of Dog's being stolen for stud purposes just before we got him so the chop had that benifit of him being a jaffa ....lol, so no good to man nor beast in that dept, and he'll be crossing with no one!

Ok, well thanks all that have chipped in. I feel very comfortable now about taking him. Not that it would've stopped us a different story, but hearing these kind of views does make me feel all the better

Thanks.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:52 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

i saw a blue one today, honest
Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

We've seen lots and lots of staffies here in Brisbane. For a while we thought we would be getting one as they're short-haired and probably more suited for the weather than a springer spaniel. However we saw a springer x cocker called "Jock" at the Animal Welfare League, we fell in love with him very quickly and brought him home. If we didn't see Jock, we probably would've taken 2 staffy pups.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:44 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
We've seen lots and lots of staffies here in Brisbane. For a while we thought we would be getting one as they're short-haired and probably more suited for the weather than a springer spaniel. However we saw a springer x cocker called "Jock" at the Animal Welfare League, we fell in love with him very quickly and brought him home. If we didn't see Jock, we probably would've taken 2 staffy pups.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Yeah no prob with staffies over here, I have seen loads around.

Some woman brought around a load of puppies the othere day, the mum was a ridgeback and she said the dads were all different dogs???? does this really happen?? one of which she said was a chihauhau (or however you spell that)
if this is true than that chihauhau must have been some clever dog managing to sort out a ridgeback

K
Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
For a while we thought we would be getting one as they're short-haired and probably more suited for the weather than a springer spaniel.
Well the funny thing is we was told that the Staffies suffer with the heat, something to do with their nose or wind pipe or sommit or other, but our dog ABSOLUTLEY loves the sun ...lol. I work nights and will wake at midday in the summer (we'll, our attept at it!), the house is empty, kids at school and partner at work, and he'll be lying in the kitchen by the garden door as it gets the sun there. I'll let him out ot see if he needs to a p and he strolls up the garden, and literally collapses on one side ...lol. he'll lie there for hours, really really loves it!