Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

St Pauls - any good?

St Pauls - any good?

Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:40 pm
Here and loving it!

cheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond repute
Question St Pauls - any good?

Does anyone in the Brisbane area know of St Pauls School, Bald Hills?

We have been trying to find a school in the Brisbane North area that take both boys and girls from primary up to 18. The reason for that is that I am so totally confused as to what year 11/12 year olds go into in Oz. If they are at primary school age they would only be there for a couple of months before moving to a secondary school. (doubt that we can get there until the summer) Also the general opinion on this site is that private schools are supposedly better than state schools when it comes to secondary education.

The reason we are looking into St Pauls is that it looks to be fairly central in North Brisbane therefore easy to get to from wherever we choose to live.

Also I have it virtually impossible to find out much about the facilities and performance of state schools on the net.

I know there is a lot of chat about schools on here but I really would appreciate some guidance on this one.

Cheers
Cheri x
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:32 pm
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Re: St Pauls - any good?

Originally Posted by cheri-pie
Does anyone in the Brisbane area know of St Pauls School, Bald Hills?

We have been trying to find a school in the Brisbane North area that take both boys and girls from primary up to 18. The reason for that is that I am so totally confused as to what year 11/12 year olds go into in Oz. If they are at primary school age they would only be there for a couple of months before moving to a secondary school. (doubt that we can get there until the summer) Also the general opinion on this site is that private schools are supposedly better than state schools when it comes to secondary education.

The reason we are looking into St Pauls is that it looks to be fairly central in North Brisbane therefore easy to get to from wherever we choose to live.

Also I have it virtually impossible to find out much about the facilities and performance of state schools on the net.

I know there is a lot of chat about schools on here but I really would appreciate some guidance on this one.

Cheers
Cheri x
I got an enrolment pack from St Pauls the other week as we are heading for Brisbane in September and will be looking for a decent school for our son. Unfortunately the waiting list is at least two years for all entry levels!! It's a shame as I really liked the look of the school and the area. We also enquired about Ormiston school which is in South Brisbane. Once again we were told there is a long waiting list (people put their kids on the list from birth!). The school situation is starting to worry us.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 5:45 am
Here and loving it!

cheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Pauls - any good?

Originally Posted by mjj
I got an enrolment pack from St Pauls the other week as we are heading for Brisbane in September and will be looking for a decent school for our son. Unfortunately the waiting list is at least two years for all entry levels!! It's a shame as I really liked the look of the school and the area. We also enquired about Ormiston school which is in South Brisbane. Once again we were told there is a long waiting list (people put their kids on the list from birth!). The school situation is starting to worry us.
OMG What are people supposed to do when they move over if they are not sure where they are going Thanks for that though.

I've been stressing about this for some time. I'm sure everyone can appreciate the importance of getting the kids settled and making friends as soon as possible. I really wanted to have a school sorted before we left just for their sake.

I have just been looking at Grace Luthern at Redcliffe, but that is only a secondary school so again I'm not exactly sure what age they take them from. Has anyone got any views on that one?

Cheers
Cheri x
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:07 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Cant help on the Redcliffe one but my niece sends her 2 sons to St Pauls at Bald Hills & is very hapy with the school. Im not sure about the waiting periods that mjj mentioned, 2 years seems a long waiting list & I certainly dont think the Ormiston College waiting list is as bad as that, I know of someone whos son started Year 8 this year & only went on the waiting list last year (year 8 is an intake year). I think you will find it depends on what year level they are entering, some may be longer than others.

Secondary starts at Year 8 normally, so they would turn 13 in their first year at secondary school.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:48 am
Here and loving it!

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Cant help on the Redcliffe one but my niece sends her 2 sons to St Pauls at Bald Hills & is very hapy with the school. Im not sure about the waiting periods that mjj mentioned, 2 years seems a long waiting list & I certainly dont think the Ormiston College waiting list is as bad as that, I know of someone whos son started Year 8 this year & only went on the waiting list last year (year 8 is an intake year). I think you will find it depends on what year level they are entering, some may be longer than others.

Secondary starts at Year 8 normally, so they would turn 13 in their first year at secondary school.
Thanks. If the school year starts Jan to Dec does that mean year 8 would mean they are 13 between Jan & Dec? Sorry to keep going on but this where I get confused because here the school year is Sept to July and age is taken between Sept and Aug., My kids birthday are in October so does that mean they are in a different year group to Australia?

Cheri x
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:55 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. If the school year starts Jan to Dec does that mean year 8 would mean they are 13 between Jan & Dec? Sorry to keep going on but this where I get confused because here the school year is Sept to July and age is taken between Sept and Aug., My kids birthday are in October so does that mean they are in a different year group to Australia?

Cheri x
Yes, in Qld if they turn 13 this year between Jan1 & Dec31 then they will be in Year 8 this year. If they turn 12 between Jan & Dec this year it will be Year 6. Etc etc.

So how old will he/she be in October this year?

Not sure, but the dates may change next year when Prep come in, but dont worry about that until it happens .
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:04 am
Here and loving it!

Yes, in Qld if they turn 13 this year between Jan1 & Dec31 then they will be in Year 8 this year. If they turn 12 between Jan & Dec this year it will be Year 6. Etc etc.

So how old will he/she be in October this year?

Not sure, but the dates may change next year when Prep come in, but dont worry about that until it happens .
They are 12 this year and currently in year 6. Am I right in saying that if we move say around August this year they will go into year 6 there ? and then on to year 8 ? from Jan? Sorry still very confused

Cheri x
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:09 am
Rocket Scientist

They are 12 this year and currently in year 6. Am I right in saying that if we move say around August this year they will go into year 6 there ? and then on to year 8 ? from Jan? Sorry still very confused

Cheri x
If they are currently 11 & turn 12 this October (ie 2006) then they will be in Year 7 if you come this year (Jan - Dec). Remember our school year has just started & doesnt finish until December, work it like it is a calendar year.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:14 am
Here and loving it!

If they are currently 11 & turn 12 this October (ie 2006) then they will be in Year 7 if you come this year (Jan - Dec). Remember our school year has just started & doesnt finish until December, work it like it is a calendar year.
Thanks

Cheri x
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:18 am
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about

Here is a quote from Ormiston College:

"We have 3 major intakes into the College each year through Preparatory,
Years 6 and 8. Students enrol early for these year levels and in some
cases from birth. The College operates at full capacity at all times
hence early enrolment is essential for all year levels."