Reload this Page >

St Kilda, OK for a family?

St Kilda, OK for a family?

Old Nov 27th 2011, 12:26 am
Just Joined

comingtomelbourne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default St Kilda, OK for a family?

Hello

We are moving for a year or two to Melbourne next July and have been looking at a house in St Kilda. There will be me, my partner, a 4 year old and a 13 week old baby when we arrive. I will be working at The Alfred.

The house is on Dalgety Street.

Is it an OK area?
What is it like for nursery schools and other family activities?

Thanks

R
Old Nov 28th 2011, 12:13 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: St Kilda, OK for a family?

Originally Posted by comingtomelbourne
Hello

We are moving for a year or two to Melbourne next July and have been looking at a house in St Kilda. There will be me, my partner, a 4 year old and a 13 week old baby when we arrive. I will be working at The Alfred.

The house is on Dalgety Street.

Is it an OK area?
What is it like for nursery schools and other family activities?

Thanks

R
I would not suggest St Kilda as the first place for a family. If you want to be close to your work at The Alfred I would say South Yarra or Prahran well over St Kilda. St Kilda is a great place for young couples or singles with no kids, it wouldn't be an impossible place to bring up kids especially if you wanted them to become street wise but it wouldn't be my first choice in that area.

BB
Old Nov 28th 2011, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Kilda, OK for a family?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I would not suggest St Kilda as the first place for a family. If you want to be close to your work at The Alfred I would say South Yarra or Prahran well over St Kilda. St Kilda is a great place for young couples or singles with no kids, it wouldn't be an impossible place to bring up kids especially if you wanted them to become street wise but it wouldn't be my first choice in that area.

BB
Agreed. OH and I lived in St Kilda for 2 years before we had kids, and it was fantastic. I wouldn't recommend it however with a family. If you want to be near the beach in that area, try searching Elwood which is right next to St Kilda and is, I would say, more family friendly. Otherwise, as BB suggested Prahan, South Yarra, even Elsternwick would be better suited. St Kilda broadly speaking is big on cafes and night-life and a bit short on childcare and schools.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Kilda, OK for a family?

Ummm, don't want to frighten you, but I've just given myself a reminder of where Dalgety Street is. Admittedly its some time ago, but when we lived there Grey Street (which Dalgety runs off) was notorious for lots of ladies standing on street-corners (if you get my drift) and also housed the local homeless shelter. This may have changed, and I'm sure someone with more up to date knowledge will come along, but what probably hasn't changed is that the area is mostly populated with multi-unit blocks of flats. Even if they have been upgraded, which is quite likely, they will still be being lived in by mostly singles and childless couples.

I'm not trying to say St Kilda is a terrible place, its not - its actually fantastic to live in, just not with kids IMO.