Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

St Kilda, Melbourne - can anyone recommend this area?

St Kilda, Melbourne - can anyone recommend this area?

Old Apr 7th 2012, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

aussielife is an unknown quantity at this point
Question St Kilda, Melbourne - can anyone recommend this area?

My husband and I are looking to move to Melbourne and my friend has recommended St Kilda. We dont have children and will both be working in the city so we want somewhere that we can commute to quite easily, near the beach and also with an array of restaurants and bars as we are both only 30 and still like going out etc.

We are looking at spending approximately $400 per week on rent and would be happy with an apartment or small house. From the initial research I have done it looks like this budget is realistic but I wondered if anyone can recommend any specific areas in St Kilda that would be worth looking at and also if anyone has any experience of this area and can make any comments etc?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Kilda, Melbourne - can anyone recommend this area?

I can't imagine $400pw could get you a small house but you should be able to find an apartment with that budget...maybe just a 1 bed, perhaps some choice of 2-beds.

I live in St Kilda but about as far away from the beach and Acland St and still be in the suburb...the street behind becomes St Kilda East. It's a good spot because Acland St and the beach are about 20 mins walk away or less if you happen to catch a tram...but Chapel St, Windsor > Prahran > South Yarra is 5 - 25 mins walk as well. An advantage over deepest, darkest St Kilda is that there is a train station at Windsor...it's 12 mins to Flinders St assuming you can get on the train! Or there are trams. We rarely go down to St Kilda 'proper'.

Unless you really like to see a bit of 'life' there are probably a few streets in St Kilda you'd rather avoid!
Old Apr 8th 2012, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Elwood walking distance to Acland Street and we liked it there. Its pricey these days, suppose it always has been really. Used to get the bus to St Kilda Station and the light rail to the city, very easy commute.

Walk five minutes down to the beach. One of my friends still lives in Elwood I do like that suburb, more than St Kilda.

I also lived in Balaclava for a while and that is on the Sandringham line so easy to get to the city from there as well. Also bit of a hike but can walk to the beach.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 8:46 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure where you are coming from, but I compare St Kilda to Notting Hill or Westbourne Park in London for it's trendy edgy atmosphere, perfect for young couples, not so great IMO for families.

On the tram, with a beach, local to Albert Park, great location.

BB
Old Apr 8th 2012, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice thats great! I imagine it would be an apartment that we would go for as we dont have children and we had an apartment in the UK for a while (currently in rented accomodation) plus if we are close to the beach im not too fussed about a garden.

@ Buzzy-Bee we are in Leeds City Centre so used to quite a lively lifestyle. We have lived in the country as well but it just wasnt for us. We like restaurants, bars and going out mid week without the need to over plan etc so sounds like it could be a good area.

We had initially looked at Prahran but one of the main reasons we are looking at a move is for a more outdoors lifestyle and to be within walking distance to the beach and my friends in Melbourne said that i may be a little disappointed with that area as its not particularly 'beachy'.

Can anyone recommend any rental agents websites to look at. Ive looked on the internet but there are hundreds!! My friend in Oz can help me with the whole application process etc and has explained it to me but she lives down in Mornington Peninsula so the agents she looks at and is in contact with arent covering the area we are looking at.

Thanks again for the feedback.

BTW - Would we realistically be looking at spending $450 per week for a 2 bed apartment near St Kilda??

Are there any other areas around there that are in fairly close proximity to commute to the city, near the beach and have a good social atmosphere for a couple in their 30s?? Before deciding on Melbourne we had been looking at a move to Brighton in the UK so somewhere similar to this would be perfect
Old Apr 8th 2012, 10:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: St Kilda, Melbourne - can anyone recommend this area?

Originally Posted by aussielife

Are there any other areas around there that are in fairly close proximity to commute to the city, near the beach and have a good social atmosphere for a couple in their 30s?? Before deciding on Melbourne we had been looking at a move to Brighton in the UK so somewhere similar to this would be perfect
Port Melbourne would be another great option - as would Williamstown.

BB
Old Apr 8th 2012, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks thats great. Someone told me that Williamstown might be too much of a seaside town rather than a place to live but good to know if its worth a look. Ill also check out Port Melbourne.

We are due to come to Melbourne for 3 weeks at the end of the year so will check everything out then. I am hoping that we will be in a position where the trip can be the move rather than coming back again 6 months later but watch this space!
Old Apr 8th 2012, 10:30 am
Just Joined

clouseau is an unknown quantity at this point

hello there!! congrats on getting our visa sorted. now onto accomodation..no agent will be especially better than another, unless you are looking at the top top end ofnthe market. st kilda is indeed a lively area, you can walk out on thur fri sat nights at 2 am and there will be people on the street...relatively safe but yiu know some dodgy behaviour from people whonhave been driking. safre the leads though...look for the area to the right of fitzroy st .that is if you have the sea ahead ofnyou. look at domain.com.au
be aware younwill need a solid reference to rent first time as a foreigner
400$ week is on the lower side. you might get 1 bedroom but not a decent 2 bedroom. and by the way..other than london standards...generally here you have to pay a decent amount to find a place in a goodnstate of upkeep. plus when i first got here the estate agent said to me you want to be in a place where you are happy to entertain and not embarrassed of the state of your place. so ifmyou want to save money..go for one bedroom. hope this is useful and best of luck
Old Apr 8th 2012, 10:33 am
Just Joined

clouseau is an unknown quantity at this point

mate williamstown is dead quiet...good for couple in their 40 s looking for quiet life. st kild you can run on the beach kite surf rollerblade or cycle. and everyone is doing it!
Old Apr 8th 2012, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the info. I think St Kilda will be the place but hoping to check it out soon.

I agree re: Williamstown and think it will be too quiet for us. We dont want somewhere crazy but equally we dont want anyone to much like suburbia.

I think $450 a week seems a more realistic price.

Good to know re: reference so thanks for that - I have been renting for 3 years in the UK, would the reference from my current landlord be acceptable?
Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:25 am
Victorian Evangelist

Thanks again for the info. I think St Kilda will be the place but hoping to check it out soon.

I agree re: Williamstown and think it will be too quiet for us. We dont want somewhere crazy but equally we dont want anyone to much like suburbia.

I think $450 a week seems a more realistic price.

Good to know re: reference so thanks for that - I have been renting for 3 years in the UK, would the reference from my current landlord be acceptable?
If you rent short term from someone offering furnished accommodation then a reference from them always seems to satisfy the estate agents.

BB
Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the info
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice thats great! I imagine it would be an apartment that we would go for as we dont have children and we had an apartment in the UK for a while (currently in rented accomodation) plus if we are close to the beach im not too fussed about a garden.

@ Buzzy-Bee we are in Leeds City Centre so used to quite a lively lifestyle. We have lived in the country as well but it just wasnt for us. We like restaurants, bars and going out mid week without the need to over plan etc so sounds like it could be a good area.

We had initially looked at Prahran but one of the main reasons we are looking at a move is for a more outdoors lifestyle and to be within walking distance to the beach and my friends in Melbourne said that i may be a little disappointed with that area as its not particularly 'beachy'.

Can anyone recommend any rental agents websites to look at. Ive looked on the internet but there are hundreds!! My friend in Oz can help me with the whole application process etc and has explained it to me but she lives down in Mornington Peninsula so the agents she looks at and is in contact with arent covering the area we are looking at.

Thanks again for the feedback.

BTW - Would we realistically be looking at spending $450 per week for a 2 bed apartment near St Kilda??

You could also try Elwood, just after St Kilda feels a bit more local than St Kilda which can be a bit transient. The beach is fine but only really usuable for about 4/5 months a year. It's April now and already to cold for the beach and it won't really be beach weather again until nov/dec. For the outdoors lifestyle you are really going to have to drive to that anyway.

So if i was you i would choose between a bigger range of suburbs, Elwood,St Kilda, South Melbourne, Port Melbourne, Windsor, Balaclava, Prahran, South Yarra, Richmond,Fitzroy,Brunswick and North Melbourne. These are all inner suburbs around the CBD all trendy and sought after.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
You could also try Elwood, just after St Kilda feels a bit more local than St Kilda which can be a bit transient. The beach is fine but only really usuable for about 4/5 months a year. It's April now and already to cold for the beach and it won't really be beach weather again until nov/dec.
I was going to say similar...although I know some others will disagree.

Just completed another summer season of successfully not getting into Port Philip Bay! And we do enjoy the beach...on holiday...but I dunno, the local ones just don't appeal (awaits pics of tropical Port Philip beaches...).

Stuck a toe in there back in Feb and was surprised how icy it was even then!

I wouldn't necessarily let being 'near the beach' be the biggest determinant of where to live. Can distinctly remember some previous posters talking about the misery (due to cold and wind) of living in Port Melbourne over our looong winter!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I was going to say similar...although I know some others will disagree.

Just completed another summer season of successfully not getting into Port Philip Bay! And we do enjoy the beach...on holiday...but I dunno, the local ones just don't appeal (awaits pics of tropical Port Philip beaches...).

Stuck a toe in there back in Feb and was surprised how icy it was even then!

I wouldn't necessarily let being 'near the beach' be the biggest determinant of where to live. Can distinctly remember some previous posters talking about the misery (due to cold and wind) of living in Port Melbourne over our looong winter!
I find the bay quite unappealing to swim in around Melbourne, if you think of all the run off and all the shit from the boats and docks. Haven't been in for over 2 years now. Often go for a run or a walk along it tho.

I am up on a bit of a hill overlooking Elwood and the bay and the wind chill can be incredible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.