Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

St Kevins Primary School - Benowa, Gold Coast?

St Kevins Primary School - Benowa, Gold Coast?

Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Teri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the rough
Default St Kevins Primary School - Benowa, Gold Coast?

Hi. Does anybody have any good and bad information to share about St Kevins Primary School in Benow, Gold Coast?
Old Sep 20th 2005, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice
Default Re: St Kevins Primary School - Benowa, Gold Coast?

Teri, my advice is to ask for back issues of their school newsletter. School newsletters give you a great feel on how a school operates.

1. Do they talk down to the parents?
2. Are they always reminding the students and parents of what they schould be doing?
3. Is the newsletter a positive way to communicate with the school community?
4. Are good things being reported each week of student achievements?

Now if they will not supply them, I would be very wary.

I once wrote a letter to every independent school on the Gold Coast, plus a few state secondary schools, and asked them about 20 questions. The only school that answered my questions in writing, was the school we were already attending (I used a different name with them). Unfortunately, they were not totally honest with their answers. They also had many vacancies at the time!

One principal of a state school rang me at 8.00am. What a stupid man! I was trying to get my kids off to school! Not impressed by his attitude on the phone either. Very condesending.

It is difficult on the Gold Coast if you are after catholic education, unlike the southern states where there are many catholic schools.

In Coomera, there is a new catholic school which opened at the beginning of this year. There is also a catholic primary school in Runaway Bay.

http://realestategoldcoast.net/goldc...st-schools.htm

Gayle
Old Sep 21st 2005, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by goldcoastrealestate
Teri, my advice is to ask for back issues of their school newsletter. School newsletters give you a great feel on how a school operates.

1. Do they talk down to the parents?
2. Are they always reminding the students and parents of what they schould be doing?
3. Is the newsletter a positive way to communicate with the school community?
4. Are good things being reported each week of student achievements?

Now if they will not supply them, I would be very wary.

I once wrote a letter to every independent school on the Gold Coast, plus a few state secondary schools, and asked them about 20 questions. The only school that answered my questions in writing, was the school we were already attending (I used a different name with them). Unfortunately, they were not totally honest with their answers. They also had many vacancies at the time!

One principal of a state school rang me at 8.00am. What a stupid man! I was trying to get my kids off to school! Not impressed by his attitude on the phone either. Very condesending.

It is difficult on the Gold Coast if you are after catholic education, unlike the southern states where there are many catholic schools.

In Coomera, there is a new catholic school which opened at the beginning of this year. There is also a catholic primary school in Runaway Bay.

http://realestategoldcoast.net/goldc...st-schools.htm

Gayle
Instant newsletters..
http://www.sk.qld.edu.au/frame_template.htm

ww
Old Sep 21st 2005, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Teri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the rough

Hi.. many thanks for that. The newsletters don't tell me much, infact it appears to not be that nice for a sports nut like my son.

I am just really really confused! We already have our son booked (deposit paid and everything) for what I think is a fantastic school in Southport. But now I have a family member (on Gold Coast) telling me that they are not sure and that there are some really good public schools like this St Kevins and they mentioned Benowa State High School. I am sure they are good schools, but we like where he is booked into and cannot find any reason to change it at this stage... unless they have some inside information that they are not wanting to share with us about the school that he is already booked into!

Hubby and I sat very confused last night and eventually had to wonder about the intentions of this person. They have actually also been going to all of these schools to see them?? Huh?
Old Sep 21st 2005, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Hi Teri,

St Kevin's is a nice enough school. It is just besides Benowa Primary and Benowa High so I can't image what pick up and drop off's are like! I think Debsy's friend has children there or lives there. Why don't you message her.

It was a cosy little school when it first opened and had some lovely bush out the front. It's got a sweet chapel that I have been to a few times. Benowa High does very well in Maths and Science I believe.

I wonder if you have your son booked into TSS? That is the only one I can think of in Southport. My brother and a few other family friends went there. My mother currently tutors a few ESL kids there. High school is excellent and very sporty, primary more average. Actually I have more to say re the primary if you want to PM me.

Queenie

Originally Posted by Teri
Hi.. many thanks for that. The newsletters don't tell me much, infact it appears to not be that nice for a sports nut like my son.

I am just really really confused! We already have our son booked (deposit paid and everything) for what I think is a fantastic school in Southport. But now I have a family member (on Gold Coast) telling me that they are not sure and that there are some really good public schools like this St Kevins and they mentioned Benowa State High School. I am sure they are good schools, but we like where he is booked into and cannot find any reason to change it at this stage... unless they have some inside information that they are not wanting to share with us about the school that he is already booked into!

Hubby and I sat very confused last night and eventually had to wonder about the intentions of this person. They have actually also been going to all of these schools to see them?? Huh?
Old Sep 21st 2005, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by queenie
Hi Teri,

St Kevin's is a nice enough school. It is just besides Benowa Primary and Benowa High so I can't image what pick up and drop off's are like! I think Debsy's friend has children there or lives there. Why don't you message her.

It was a cosy little school when it first opened and had some lovely bush out the front. It's got a sweet chapel that I have been to a few times. Benowa High does very well in Maths and Science I believe.

I wonder if you have your son booked into TSS? That is the only one I can think of in Southport. My brother and a few other family friends went there. My mother currently tutors a few ESL kids there. High school is excellent and very sporty, primary more average. Actually I have more to say re the primary if you want to PM me.

Queenie
Thanks Queenie!

I have PM'd you. Just one question that is not in my PM - what are ESL kids?

Teri
Old Sep 21st 2005, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Jim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really nice

Queenie,

Would be interested to hear anything about primary/high schools in the Southport area - our kids will be 8 and 12 when we get to Oz middle of 2006 and this is the area we're looking at.

(Unsure how to send PM - newish to site. Have read the FAQ on it, but can't see the icon on how to do it - probably just being a bit thick - will have another look!)

Susan
Old Sep 21st 2005, 11:21 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim&Sus
Queenie,

Would be interested to hear anything about primary/high schools in the Southport area - our kids will be 8 and 12 when we get to Oz middle of 2006 and this is the area we're looking at.

(Unsure how to send PM - newish to site. Have read the FAQ on it, but can't see the icon on how to do it - probably just being a bit thick - will have another look!)

Susan
Let me know if I can help at all........ I have been doing lots of research for the business we are running and I have accumulated quite a bit on various schools in Southport/Ashmore area. www.goldcoastsmile.com
Old Sep 21st 2005, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Hi Susan,

Click on the person's username and then choose "send private message"

There are not many school in Southport. St Hilda's a girl school, TSS a boy's school both long standing private church schools, and a state primary and state high.

Are you looking for private or state and what sex are your kids? I will try to send you some links.

Queenie

Originally Posted by Jim&Sus
Queenie,

Susan
Old Sep 21st 2005, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi
If the school that you have managed to get your son into is TSS (The Southport School) - then I would keep him there. This school has excellent sporting facitilities. If you have any queries please pm me.