Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

st john of god hospital perth

Wikiposts

st john of god hospital perth

Old Jun 15th 2005, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all
Default st john of god hospital perth

hi ,does anyone have any info or experience with this hospital {subiaco }
i have been offered a post there but i'm not sure.
thanks
ann
Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:15 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: st john of god hospital perth

Originally Posted by fitz
thanks
ann
Sorry No !! only have experience of Swan District Hospital And Royal Perth Hospital - both of which were excellent.

Have heard that SJOG is good but have no personal experience.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
ann
Someone and apologies to them, can't remember their name has just had a baby there. Possibly not the sort of experience you are after . I just find the name really wierd but that doesn't help you either

Edit: Sorry Jones family - just did a search Seems to have had a good experience (as far as childbirth can be )

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jun 15th 2005 at 1:20 am.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:20 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Someone and apologies to them, can't remember their name has just had a baby there. Possibly not the sort of experience you are after . I just find the name really wierd but that doesn't help you either
jones
Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, fantastic. Just wrote you a longer reply then lost it

I asked loads of people before I arrived here and they all pointed me in the direction of this hospital.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

thanks
ann
Hi i had xrays , and tests etc there, very nice hospital, very upmarket, also had an op at the 1 in murdoch, and was pleased with the care etc overall........Seems to have an excellent name here...............jan hutchinson
Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:25 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
ann
Have'nt any first hand experience (thankfully!) but a friend of a friend works there and I get the impression its very good, I think the've been doing some major work on the place as it seems to have had a bit of a facelift (yes thats right they do spend money on hospitals over here )

If you havent already found this here a link to the Saint John of God website where you can link through to the Subiaco hospital:
www.sjog.org.au

Go for it !

Steve
Old Jun 15th 2005, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

thanks
ann
Try and contact people who actually work there and get their opinion. Being a patient in a hospital is very different to working there. In particular with private hospitals - they are a business and the system is set up to impress the patient, not necessarily the staff.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RReed
Try and contact people who actually work there and get their opinion. Being a patient in a hospital is very different to working there. In particular with private hospitals - they are a business and the system is set up to impress the patient, not necessarily the staff.

thanks for the replys,this was exactly the reason i was wary
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

thanks for the replys,this was exactly the reason i was wary
Fitz,
Are you in oz now, or have you been offered the job while you are in the uk? Have you got a PR visa regardless of a job? If you have a PR visa anyhow you are in a good position. You can take the job and see if you like it. If not you are in a good position to get another. I was in this situation and worked in both a private and a public hospital. I have now taken a permanent contract in the public one.

I would be more worried/do more research if your visa is dependent on your job.
Rachel
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:29 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

I think they are a chain, We have on in Geraldton and given the choice as a patient I would definately go for the private SJOG over the public (might change my mind in a few months as the new public one opens)

Ants Grandma is under Private and I have visited her in both Geraldton SJOG and Perth SJOG when she was flown down there, both were very nice relaxed atmospheres and all the staff seemed very happy and friendly.

Ants Nan doesn't have private and was in the public hospital here in Gero and also flown to Perth to a public hospital (can't remember which one) neither had the same atmosphere as the SJOG.

Only thing that pees me off with Private hospitals here is that they are all very religious, I have also heard a few stories about the SJOG (Geraldton)really pushing for Breast feeding after having a baby, one friend of mine had her 3rd baby there and had dificulty in breast feeding the 1st 2 so pretty much knew that she would have dificulty again and was made to feel really bad for not keeping up the breast feeding.

Kala
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayDeee
both were very nice relaxed atmospheres and all the staff seemed very happy and friendly.
Health professionals are very good at appearing 'happy and friendly' whilst being shafted from above .
Rachel
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RReed
Fitz,
Are you in oz now, or have you been offered the job while you are in the uk? Have you got a PR visa regardless of a job? If you have a PR visa anyhow you are in a good position. You can take the job and see if you like it. If not you are in a good position to get another. I was in this situation and worked in both a private and a public hospital. I have now taken a permanent contract in the public one.

I would be more worried/do more research if your visa is dependent on your job.
Rachel
hi there,yes i have had a pr visa for a few years now,i plan to move
to perth this oct,iwas offered a job last year at the king edward memorial
hospital but timing wasn't right,my fear is if i don't take job i may be left
struggling to find work,i qualified as a direct entry midwife 1994,so many
years of experience in busy maternity unit
thanks
ann
Old Jun 17th 2005, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi there,yes i have had a pr visa for a few years now,i plan to move
to perth this oct,iwas offered a job last year at the king edward memorial
hospital but timing wasn't right,my fear is if i don't take job i may be left
struggling to find work,i qualified as a direct entry midwife 1994,so many
years of experience in busy maternity unit
thanks
ann
That's good - it gives you a bit of freedom. I wouldn't worry about being unable to get a job when you get there - I doubt that will be a problem.

I am also a direct entry midwife. I have had a real struggle adapting to midwifery here (you can read my various rantings if you look up my previous posts). I have found I am unable to work as a midwife in the private sector because it 'does my head in'.

Depends what you are looking for. If you are happy to give up all your autonomy and turn into an obstetric nurse then go private.

Rachel (pm me if you want any more info)