St Ives Sydney

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Question St Ives Sydney

I've been looking at the public school in St Ives and it looks excellent. However, my one concern is getting from St Ives to Crows Nest where our jobs will be. Does anyone know whether there is a bus that goes that route - if so how long does it take? I may have to drive in as I will need to drop our daughter off at school and then pick her up at the end of the day so time is more restricted. Does anyone know how long it would take to drive to Crows nest from St Ives at say 8:30 in the morning?
Also, if anyone has any views on St Ives primary I would love to hear them - esp from parents that have children there. We are also looking at Wahroonga primary as well which I think has a good reputation. I guess we won't know where we want her to go until we get there in a few months time.

Thanks for all your help and advice - this site is making my move a lot easier!

Cheers
Old Mar 27th 2006, 4:41 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Ives Sydney

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
I've been looking at the public school in St Ives and it looks excellent. However, my one concern is getting from St Ives to Crows Nest where our jobs will be. Does anyone know whether there is a bus that goes that route - if so how long does it take? I may have to drive in as I will need to drop our daughter off at school and then pick her up at the end of the day so time is more restricted. Does anyone know how long it would take to drive to Crows nest from St Ives at say 8:30 in the morning?
Also, if anyone has any views on St Ives primary I would love to hear them - esp from parents that have children there. We are also looking at Wahroonga primary as well which I think has a good reputation. I guess we won't know where we want her to go until we get there in a few months time.

Thanks for all your help and advice - this site is making my move a lot easier!

Cheers
Hi I have private messaged you as well, but after reading this you are talking about the primary not the high school. St Ives North has a better reputation that St Ives Primary locally. Harder to get into St Ives North if not living in specific streets. My daughter went to St Ives Primary and I currently know a couple of people with kids there - seems a decent enough place.

Honestly the majority of the primary schools on the North Shore are very decent and I would not panic too much about picking the best one, get over here and come see the schools first for that personal feel, for your daughter and yourselves. You may also need to live in catchment so that may influence your choices. High school means a bigger choice private vs public and where and how far to travel?

Also if you have a bright spark you may want to consider a school which streams or has GAT classes or pushes the selective school exams. Loads of pressure here to get places in some of these schools and again depending on your future plans can make a difference.

Oh something else I think you are on a 457, you will not be entitled to a place at a selective high school - so if not planning to stay long term you may have other influences. If only staying for a short period you may consider the $4500 you will need to pay per year in primary worth investing in a private school.

Not that I think it will happen but please ensure your child can start school before the cheque is paid for the fees or you can get the money paid quickly. I had to keep my daughter out of school for over six weeks while we sorted out the cheque with the education department (as work was paying - due to LAFHA). St Ives primary would not let her start till they saw the colour of our money! (I am well sure they have grown up over this now, but worth checking).

I really feel you could take a fair amount of time and have a good look around in June, July 3-July 14 are the NSW holidays here, so yor daughter could start back on the 17th July at the beginning of term. But then I am assuming you can take the time off work - is that both of you working in Crows nest?

Are you going to need child care in the school holidays? My daughter attended the one at St Ives Primary and I loved that - very friendly with a decent level of coverage.

Anyway I have blathered on enough...please email or pm if you need any more info. There are also a few others around with children at different schools in St Ives and surrounds and I am sure they have some good information too.

Cheers Sandra
Old Mar 27th 2006, 4:50 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Ives Sydney

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
Does anyone know whether there is a bus that goes that route - if so how long does it take?
try http://www.131500.info/realtime/newjourney.asp for busses.
Pretty accurate - so will give you a good idea.
HTH