Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Squeeze is on as Melbourne and Australia's populations boom!

Squeeze is on as Melbourne and Australia's populations boom!

Old Nov 29th 2013, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Squeeze is on as Melbourne and Australia's populations boom!

Originally Posted by GarryP
I'm not actually sure that there are any tight oil deposits in Australia that are really suitable for fracking - time will tell but if they're not, they're not. People tend to think it's just a case of identify deposits and go - but there's a reason you get maps like this, geology is the make or break.

http://juanvelascoblog.files.wordpre...plains-map.jpg

I'd tend to say that energy is obviously more valuable than water - since if you have energy you can desalinate yourself as much water as you want.

I agree that Australia should have hardened the f**k up and built itself a suite of nuclear stations - it has the ideal circumstances to do so, large tracts of coastline with nobody anywhere near them. However, as has previously been mentioned, australian politicians are not the best or most insightful of the breed - and the breed only has a 4 year time horizon.

As for massive population increase - the question is 'why'? Historically the larger the population, the better your economy runs due to economies of scale. However it's far from certain that that rings true going forward. With automation and globalisation it may well be that the benefits of a small, integrated, and intelligent population win out, using discardable slave labour for the grunt work (the Dubai model). High quality immigration is already almost there (ahem), but most of the rest needed for that model is lacking.

Oh, and australia could really do with investing research money in fast, efficient solar powered desal plants. A nice world leading, patented, technology in that area would not only win big for domestic usage, but also for overseas sales.
Victoria has a $5.7 bill desalination plant which we got the French to build at massively over budget cost.

Low cost coal and natural gas reserves have always been the argument against nuclear.

Howard Government proposed nuclear plants but they were defeated in the election and Labour opposes. Perhaps Tony will put it back on the agenda?

Traditionally less than 50% of the Australian population favours nuclear power.

How about elections every 20 years to get some long term planning for things like this?
Old Nov 29th 2013, 7:32 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Victoria has a $5.7 bill desalination plant which we got the French to build at massively over budget cost.
I know, an elementary mistake.

Low cost coal and natural gas reserves have always been the argument against nuclear.
In an era of climate change, that no longer holds. Also Oz has lots of Uranium - a good reactor design and it could have as much power as it needs, guaranteed out at least 100 years, something you can't say for FF.

Howard Government proposed nuclear plants but they were defeated in the election and Labour opposes. Perhaps Tony will put it back on the agenda?
Doubt it. We need rid of the whole lot of them - wastes of space.

Traditionally less than 50% of the Australian population favours nuclear power.
Sell the sizzle - low cost power, etc.

How about elections every 20 years to get some long term planning for things like this?
How about doing away with representative 'democracy' as formulated in the era of horse and cart, and going for real democracy?
Old Nov 29th 2013, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
I know, an elementary mistake.

In an era of climate change, that no longer holds. Also Oz has lots of Uranium - a good reactor design and it could have as much power as it needs, guaranteed out at least 100 years, something you can't say for FF.

Doubt it. We need rid of the whole lot of them - wastes of space.

Sell the sizzle - low cost power, etc.

How about doing away with representative 'democracy' as formulated in the era of horse and cart, and going for real democracy?
Cheap coal and natural gas explains why we have a lack of nuclear now. Power Stations don't have a life of 3 years and you just replace them due to global warming or whatever.

One of the huge errors made with nuclear in the UK and other countries is that the costs of decommissioning were not included in the cost of them. e.g. we have a small nuclear plant 30 miles from us at Chapelcross and it has ceased production. It is going to cost in excess of £30 mill to decommission it and the land around can return to farming within 100 years. The cost of building a new plant at Hinkley Point in Somerset is a joke and goes up by billions - it is going to be built by the Chinese and not the UK. Is that good from a defence point of view?

Kraftwerk can add Fukushima and others to their old song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhBG1ilB3ao

Chernobyl, Harrisburgh
Sellafield, Hiroshima
Chernobyl, Harrisburgh
Sellafield, Hiroshima

Stop radioactivity
Is in the air for you and me
Stop radioactivity
Discovered by Madame Curie

Chain reaction and mutation
Contaminated population
Stop radioactivity