British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Springwood, QLD - Opinions please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/springwood-qld-opinions-please-545923/)

Tellyaddict Jun 29th 2008 7:55 pm

Springwood, QLD - Opinions please

I have been looking at Springwood as a possible destination but have a few questions:

1. Is it driveable from Darra where oh will be working (within an hour), have done a multimap but not always accurate!!

2. The high school looks quite good, not needed quite yet but is an important part of our decision regarding areas to live in.

3. Is it a nice area - have two boys aged 8 and 5, 8 year old lives for his sport and plays in a rugby team in the UK.

Please feel free to PM me if you would prefer to comment without upsetting other people.

Thanks

Nikky

wanderingwombat Jun 29th 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Springwood, QLD - Opinions please

Originally Posted by NiknAid (Post 6516702)
I have been looking at Springwood as a possible destination but have a few questions:

1. Is it driveable from Darra where oh will be working (within an hour), have done a multimap but not always accurate!!

Springwood to Darra is driveable. Try www.whereis.com rather than multimap ( it seemed to get rather lost for me:D). Algester could also be worth a look.

WW

Brisben Jun 29th 2008 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by NiknAid (Post 6516702)

2. The high school looks quite good, not needed quite yet but is an important part of our decision regarding areas to live in.

3. Is it a nice area - have two boys aged 8 and 5, 8 year old lives for his sport and plays in a rugby team in the UK.

Please feel free to PM me if you would prefer to comment without upsetting other people.

Thanks

Nikky

I wouldn't move to springwood, Logan area myself not when you have nicer suburbs in the sameish price bracket.

Why not look at places like

Eight mile plains, rochedale, rochedale south !

Keebs Jun 29th 2008 10:54 pm

I work up around all the surrounding areas, if I were to live their I'd look at Cornubia, Daisy Hill, Shailer Park all about 10 - 15mins from Springwood.

Tellyaddict Jun 29th 2008 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Brisben (Post 6516866)
I wouldn't move to springwood, Logan area myself not when you have nicer suburbs in the sameish price bracket.

Just looked at the schools in Rochedale and they look good.

Also looked at the houses in our price range and there seem to be quite a few but can't seem to find much information about the suburb itself.

Any info you can provide would be great.

Tellyaddict Jun 29th 2008 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Keebs (Post 6517189)
I work up around all the surrounding areas, if I were to live their I'd look at Cornubia, Daisy Hill, Shailer Park all about 10 - 15mins from Springwood.

Thanks - I will have a good look at these tomorrow.

4500 Times Jun 30th 2008 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Brisben (Post 6516866)

Whats wrong with Logan ??

peanut21 Jun 30th 2008 1:56 am

[QUOTE=NiknAid;6516702]I have been looking at Springwood as a possible destination but have a few questions:

Thanks

Hi chaps
I would avoid Springwood Logan area if you can and yes it may be ok but even if you ask an aussie they would prefer not to live there. However they do have a massive Ikea in Logan.:

DunRoaminTheUK Jun 30th 2008 2:31 am

Originally Posted by peanut21 (Post 6517430)
However they do have a massive Ikea in Logan.:

Fully furnished too.....

peanut21 Jun 30th 2008 2:56 am

Dont forget a good feed too;)

DunRoaminTheUK Jun 30th 2008 3:24 am

Originally Posted by peanut21 (Post 6517517)
Dont forget a good feed too;)

Imagine the possibilities presented by the IKEA kitchen?

5 breakfasts in 1 sitting for the meager price of $10.....Mmmmmm..

Brisben Jul 1st 2008 2:42 am

Originally Posted by 4500 Times (Post 6517340)
Whats wrong with Logan ??

I am no expert but

It has a higher ratio of single mother than anywhere else in brisbane.

It has higher unemployment levels than anywhere in brisbane.

Houses prices are cheaper.

By my own perception and asumptions I am suggesting that lower house prices are for a reason. Probably a more undesireable area to live.

I have given reasons to the weakness in my statement, by advising it is a presumption and it is my opinion alone.

DunRoaminTheUK Jul 1st 2008 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Brisben (Post 6521094)
I am no expert but

By my own perception and asumptions I am suggesting that lower house prices are for a reason. Probably a more undesireable area to live.

I have given reasons to the weakness in my statement, by advising it is a presumption and it is my opinion alone.

Yooo shurrr dewww talk preddy!

4500 Times Jul 2nd 2008 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Brisben (Post 6521094)
I am no expert but

Your right it is a pretty big assumption, you gotta remember Logan is huge place mate, a lot bigger than say the....Redlands. I am assuming that your of the opinion that if you don't live in the Redlands you live in an undesirable area !!!

There are areas i would'nt live in Logan but there are also areas in Redlands i would'nt live so its swings and roundabouts.

We have lived in a Logan suburb for the last 3 yrs and have never regretted it after moving there from Redland Bay.

rabsody Jul 2nd 2008 7:55 am

Originally Posted by peanut21 (Post 6517430)
[Hi chaps
I would avoid Springwood Logan area if you can and yes it may be ok but even if you ask an aussie they would prefer not to live there. However they do have a massive Ikea in Logan.:

I would second that, it has a terrible reputation (you know how if you lived in London back in the 80s and said you lived in Brixton or Peckham? Like that). :eek:

SIL and late FIL live/d there and, sorry, but I don't like it at all. However, it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing!