Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spouse visa timeframe to PR?

Spouse visa timeframe to PR?

Old Sep 14th 2004, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future
Default Spouse visa timeframe to PR?

Have just heard from immigration here in Perth about this. Is this correct?

They have informed us that the 2 year temporary spouse visa timeframe starts from date of lodging the application for said visa. Therefore, as we lodged in UK about a year ago and have only been in Oz half this time, technically have only 12 months to PR remaining.

Muzza
Old Sep 14th 2004, 2:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa timeframe to PR?

Originally Posted by Muzza04

They have informed us that the 2 year temporary spouse visa timeframe starts from date of lodging the application for said visa. Therefore, as we lodged in UK about a year ago and have only been in Oz half this time, technically have only 12 months to PR remaining.

Muzza
Yep, I was told the same, that its 2 years from lodging the application.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 2:48 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Muzza04

Muzza
That is correct and what happened in my case. 3 months before PR is due they will send you the forms and requirments. They won't grant early however they can grant PR late. Keep DIMIA informed of your local address so you can receive the forms.

I lodged my application in October 2001 and received PR November 2003.(I was on holiday when PR was due so had to ask DIMIA to delay until I returned to Australia.

Something else of interest is the proposed changes in Citizenship eligibility. I contacted the minister and he confirmed that if the bill is passed 1 year of temporary residence on a Spouse visa would count towards the 2 years in five requirement to gain citizenship. According to the minister (Gary Hargreaves) the bill will be put to parliament next year. By the time it is law I will probably have 2 years PR anyway but thought you would be interested.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 2:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Something else of interest is the proposed changes in Citizenship eligibility. I contacted the minister and he confirmed that if the bill is passed 1 year of temporary residence on a Spouse visa would count towards the 2 years in five requirement to gain citizenship. According to the minister (Gary Hargreaves) the bill will be put to parliament next year. By the time it is law I will probably have 2 years PR anyway but thought you would be interested.
Thats of great interest Bondi, one of my grievances about spouse visas is the length of time to wait for citizenship as opposed to someone on a skills visa.
Thanks for the info