Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spouse visa - Statutory Declarations

Spouse visa - Statutory Declarations

Old Apr 10th 2002, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa - Statutory Declarations

This is getting desperate so any replies would be gratefully appreciated.

Simple question - Can the form number 888 be used for statutory declarations when applying for a spouse visa from the UK ?

It has been discussed many times on this board but i've yet to see a definitive answer. Every solicitor I've spoken to doesn't have a clue. They keep telling me to ask Australia House. Australia House refuse to take any enquiries on visa applications and just refer you to their website which, they say, contains all the information. The website contains nothing about this.

Please, if anyone knows then could you let me know. Has anyone successfully applied for a spouse (de-facto) visa in the UK using form 888 ?????

Cheers
Nick
Old Apr 10th 2002, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice
Default Re: Spouse visa - Statutory Declarations

Hi

When we applied for my husbands spouse visa we used whatever form they provided to actually apply, but the statutory declarations we had to write ourselves and our solicitor turned it into a legal document which the declarees (is that a word?) signed in front of another solicitor who witnessed it and they stamped the paperwork and we just sent that off.

We only paid £5 for each declaration too, so don't be ripped off. If you want more info, message me privately and I will dig out our declarations and the wording for you.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 10th 2002, 10:30 pm
Dean

Interesting one this... When we applied, we misunderstood what a statutory
declaration actually was. We just assumed that someone (relative, friend, etc.) could
just declare in a written statement that they knew us and that we were in an ongoing
relationship, etc. Some friends of ours had also gone through the same procedure and
had submitted the stat decs along the same lines i.e no solicitor involved, just
signed by their friends/relations. They were granted the visa with no mention from
DIMA of anything wrong with the stat decs. We actually found out the correct method
of writing a statutory declaration was in the presence of a solicitor after sending
in our application and thought we had made a mess of the whole thing and expected
DIMA to throw the whole lot back at us. We never heard another thing until they wrote
to us 6 months later granting the visa, no mention of our stat decs at all! Dean,
Karen and Jayden.

"sophia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    >
    > When we applied for my husbands spouse visa we used whatever form they provided to
    > actually apply, but the statutory declarations we had to write ourselves and our
    > solicitor turned it into a legal document which the declarees (is that a word?)
    > signed in front of another solicitor who witnessed it and they stamped the
    > paperwork and we just sent that off.
    >
    > We only paid £5 for each declaration too, so don't be ripped off. If you want
    > more info, message me privately and I will dig out our declarations and the
    > wording for you.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > sophia x
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 11th 2002, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

When I applied onshore we had 3 or 4 form 888s filled out by Aussie friends and my de facto's family. When we went for our interview and lodged the application our DIMIA interviewer asked for us to supply some more proof of the time we spent together in England at the beginning of the relationship, I asked her what the decs should be written on and whether 888s would be OK and she said that would be fine.

A couple of weeks later I handed in a 2 more 888s completed by Brits (and the police clearances that had arrived by then). The visa was granted the next day.

Good luck with the application, Nara
Old Apr 11th 2002, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

mozz48 is an unknown quantity at this point

A Statutary Declaration is exactly what it says It desnt matter what it is written on People in DIMA are not monsters Dont worry Just worry about the content that is in them
Good Luck Gerard
Old Apr 11th 2002, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help folks especially Sophia.

To hell with it. I'm going to use form 888.

Cheers
Nick
Old Apr 30th 2002, 7:00 pm
Mallysutton

Hi all i would just like to add, when we applied for my husbands spouse visa we
didn't do and stat decs at all, as i didn't think they would be required as we had 2
children together ages 12 and 8 years and had been married for 6 years, so i thought
its obvious to them that where in an on-going relationship and didn't ask anyone for
a declaration. Anyway as i thought nothing came back to me or was mentioned about it
and 5 months later my husband got his P.R spouse visa. I honestly think it depends on
everyones individual circumstances.

Goodluck anyway........Karen

Can i just add a hello to Dean as we chatted last year, and hope every thing is going
well with his plans, by the way Dean we are now living in Perth, we left the U.K on
new years day, would be good to hear from you. "etlniwd" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > This is getting desperate so any replies would be gratefully appreciated.
    >
    > Simple question - Can the form number 888 be used for statutory declarations when
    > applying for a spouse visa from the UK ?
    >
    > It has been discussed many times on this board but i've yet to see a definitive
    > answer. Every solicitor I've spoken to doesn't have a clue. They keep telling me to
    > ask Australia House. Australia House refuse to take any enquiries on visa
    > applications and just refer you to their website which, they say, contains all the
    > information. The website contains nothing about this.
    >
    > Please, if anyone knows then could you let me know. Has anyone successfully applied
    > for a spouse (de-facto) visa in the UK using form 888 ?????
    >
    > Cheers Nick
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com