Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spouse visa processing time

Spouse visa processing time

Old Jul 28th 2003, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

haoa is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Spouse visa processing time

I lodged my visa application by post in London at the beginning of June after being told in writing from the Family migration section of the DIMIA in London that the processing time is 4 weeks by post and was quicker than the front end loaded appointment booked for the 9 July which I then duly cancelled. Their website states 4 months for a spouse visa!!

8 weeks later I have still heard nothing. Can someone tell me how long they've had to wait and if there is any way I can contact the DIMIA to ensure that the post office have not lost it!!

Just feeling a touch frustrated and want to be able to plan and book all the 101 other things that need doing, since we plan to be off at the end of October.

Howard Seaman
Old Jul 28th 2003, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spouse visa processing time

Originally posted by haoa
I lodged my visa application by post in London at the beginning of June after being told in writing from the Family migration section of the DIMIA in London that the processing time is 4 weeks by post and was quicker than the front end loaded appointment booked for the 9 July which I then duly cancelled. Their website states 4 months for a spouse visa!!

8 weeks later I have still heard nothing. Can someone tell me how long they've had to wait and if there is any way I can contact the DIMIA to ensure that the post office have not lost it!!

Just feeling a touch frustrated and want to be able to plan and book all the 101 other things that need doing, since we plan to be off at the end of October.

Howard Seaman
Have you received confirmation that they got you application?? i.e. a case number?? If so then you will just have to be patient, if not then chances are its gone missing.

My hubby's spouse visa took 6 months to the day we applied, no front loading or anything special. No interview either!

Hang in there

Wannabe Wallaby
(Perth in early November if the buyers sign the house sale contract soooon!!!)
Old Jul 28th 2003, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just got ours. I think the full processing time is still up to 4 months.

Maybe your letter is a bit confusing. Our letter said the initial processing takes up to 4 weeks. That's where they look at it and decide what further info is needed. You're meant to contact them if you don't get the initial reply within 4 weeks.

Our reply arrived after 2 weeks and said we needed only UK police check for hubby plus Oz police check as we lived there for a year. We'd already done the medical and sent it in with the application. Police checks: The UK one is slow so get that underway now if you haven't done it - takes 6 weeks. The Oz one took 2 weeks. Once we sent those in it was another few weeks. Two months altogether.

It would have been quicker had we sent the police checks in with the application. The website says they 'may' be needed. Apparently they always are needed now with increased security.

Good luck!
Old Jul 28th 2003, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry - just read your post again.

If you haven't received a reply at all - with a case number and a list of further requirements - in 8 weeks you should definitely contact them by telephone. Sounds like it has gone missing. Did you send it Special Delivery or anything? If so, you could track the receipt number on the Royal Mail website to be sure it got there.

We never send anything official by normal post - ours is so unreliable here.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Jolyn

If you haven't received a reply at all - with a case number and a list of further requirements - in 8 weeks you should definitely contact them by telephone. Sounds like it has gone missing. Did you send it Special Delivery or anything? If so, you could track the receipt number on the Royal Mail website to be sure it got there.

No I haven't received anything certainly not a case number, but I know they've received it since they banked my cheque!!
Old Jul 28th 2003, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Jolyn

No I haven't received anything certainly not a case number, but I know they've received it since they banked my cheque!!
Old Jul 28th 2003, 9:18 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Hi Haoa,

When you sent your application off did you front load it? I'm really worried now as we have just sent ours off as we were also told that it was quicker than waiting for an appointment. We were also told that "applications lodged by post are assesed within 4 weeks" so hope to have some sort off info before then.

We sent ours using special delivery so we know that it has been received by Oz house.

Hope that you hear something positive soon (and us!! )

Sally and family
Old Jul 29th 2003, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by sally1968
Hi Haoa,

When you sent your application off did you front load it? I'm really worried now as we have just sent ours off as we were also told that it was quicker than waiting for an appointment. We were also told that "applications lodged by post are assesed within 4 weeks" so hope to have some sort off info before then.

We sent ours using special delivery so we know that it has been received by Oz house.

Hope that you hear something positive soon (and us!! )

Sally and family

I initially applied for a front-loaded appointment since I had all the documentation - medical, police check etc, but since it was the end of May when I applied for the appointment and they told me the earliest was 9th July, I dedcided to post it since they said that was quicker. I sent it by special delivery and apart from seeing my cheque clear the bank on 9th June I have heard nothing.

I sent an email to DIMIA but have had no response and the only phone number I found gave a 5 minute message about not being able to follow up applications within the time quoted on the web which is 4 months. If any one has a number to contact DIMIA in London could they let me know.

In my innocence I did not realise they should have issued me with a case number, just assumed they could process it fairly quickly and would contact me if they required further information. According to their information if you use the front-end loaded appointment the visa can be granted the same day.

I'll let you know how I get on with this.

Howard
Old Jul 29th 2003, 10:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Howard,
Sent you a pm.......

Pollyana
Old Jul 29th 2003, 10:58 am
Just Joined

dlm78 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the same situation as Sally. Front-end loaded application by post (received Monday 28/07/03) as informed by both email and telephone that the wait for appointments is nearly two months, and the turn around on parnter visa applications (if all information is front-end loaded) is 2 - 4 weeks (quoted 3 weeks ago).

I have seen a great variation in processing times on various discussion boards, etc. Yes, some do get a decision on the day at Australia House. Conversely, some applications take 4-5 months (usually not front-end loaded). The following website allows you to view people's application timelines, so it's quite useful: http://www.austimeline.com/index.jsp.

Good luck to you.

Danny.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Howard,

Sorry - meant to post this yesterday but did something wrong. Somebody has banked the cheque - may or may not be Australia House!

I have this number on our letter 020 7343 7420. It says Migration Branch and to call 11am-12 noon only. Don't know if that's any help but I did speak to a person on that number once.

I reread our stuff and it says that applications by post are assessed within 4 weeks but that's just the initial assessment to see what further paperwork is needed. Actual processing and issuing the visa can be up to 4 months - probably even if the application is front loaded and nothing further is required!

You're not meant to enquire during the processing part but the application form said to contact them if you hadn't had the initial reply with assessment and case number within 4 weeks. They certainly don't expect you to wait without any confirmation it's actually been received!

Good luck,

Jo
Old Jul 29th 2003, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Smile Contact made

Thanks to the help of this group I've been able to contact DIMIA and now have my case number. I've also written to them asking for information about my case officer etc.

It's made me feel more comfortable knowing that it's in the system and hasn't gone astray.

So thanks everyone for their input.
Howard
Old Jul 29th 2003, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contact made

Thanks to the help of this group I've been able to contact DIMIA and now have my case number. I've also written to them asking for information about my case officer etc.

It's made me feel more comfortable knowing that it's in the system and hasn't gone astray.

So thanks everyone for their input.
Howard

Thank goodness they got it, you must be sooo relieved!! I know I had panic attacks on a daily basis wondering if I had missed a deadline or forgotten something etc.

It will all be worth the wait in the end, good luck to you.

Wannabe Wallaby
Old Jul 29th 2003, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Great to hear they've got it. Phew! Someone there will be getting a smack on the hand for not sending out your letter...

We've just got my son's Aussie passport. We submitted it the application with a Special Delivery envelope to return it. Chased them up when it didn't arrive - "Oh it's still here! We'll send it out today". Arrived with a sticker on it saying "Awaiting Collection"...
Old Jul 29th 2003, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Talking Visa granted

well what do you know!!

only a few hours after finding out my case number... I've now been told that my visa application is about to be approved, and a letter is in the post.

I'm going to crack open a bottle to celebrate.....off to Adelaide in October ......yippeeeeee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.