Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spouse visa.....easy to apply for??

Spouse visa.....easy to apply for??

Old Sep 21st 2006, 4:39 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spouse visa.....easy to apply for??

Hi there... OH is applying for citizenship by descent and if granted I will need to apply for a spouse visa for me and the kids, how easy would it be to do the application ourselves as we've been quoted £1395+vat for agents fees plus £575 for the visa itself and £200 each for medicals/police checks (£600 in total) grand total of around £2800......
What about the evidence you have to supply any ideas on what I should start getting together? Thanks in advance.... C x
Old Sep 21st 2006, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

tonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spouse visa.....easy to apply for??

Originally Posted by shiels
Hi there... OH is applying for citizenship by descent and if granted I will need to apply for a spouse visa for me and the kids, how easy would it be to do the application ourselves as we've been quoted £1395+vat for agents fees plus £575 for the visa itself and £200 each for medicals/police checks (£600 in total) grand total of around £2800......
What about the evidence you have to supply any ideas on what I should start getting together? Thanks in advance.... C x
We used an agent but in hindsight we could ahve easily done it ourselves. The forms are pretty self explanatory and as long as you have the correct info to prove you have lived together for the last 12 months you should have no problems. It took just over 2 weeks for our application to be processed in London so the turn around time is quick as well.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 4:58 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonik25
We used an agent but in hindsight we could ahve easily done it ourselves. The forms are pretty self explanatory and as long as you have the correct info to prove you have lived together for the last 12 months you should have no problems. It took just over 2 weeks for our application to be processed in London so the turn around time is quick as well.
Thanks for that... We have been married for 16 years so that should be ok, what sort of things will I need to prove its a valid marriage?!!!
At the rate this is going we will ready to go to Aus by Christmas!!!! C x :scared:
Old Sep 21st 2006, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

tonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant future

Thanks for that... We have been married for 16 years so that should be ok, what sort of things will I need to prove its a valid marriage?!!!
At the rate this is going we will ready to go to Aus by Christmas!!!! C x :scared:
Check out this post, there is a lot of detailed information about what to send. It is for a defacto spoouse relationship but much of the proof required is the same:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...facto+evidence

There is also an excellent booklet on partner migration on the immigration website which includes a document checklist.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf
Old Sep 21st 2006, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Only you can get the paperwork together, whether you use an agent or not. My OH applied 14th Aug and granted permanent visa on 4th Sept. Fiddly to organise everything, but once you get it all out on the lounge room floor and do a contents list, seperate everything into a lever-arch file, hey presto and its all done. Keep it neat and organised. Forget the agent and save the money for the kids. good luck to you all.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 7:55 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

We did it ourselves too. The trick is to be organised and check, check, check again. We still managed to miss getting my OH an Australian police clearance (because he has spent in total 12+ months in Australia). Anyway, even with this month delay....we had his visa granted just less than 2 months from when we lodged it.

All the best
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:19 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

The spouse visas are relatively easy compared to the other visa classes. I did mine without an agent, I used the people on expats instead . I got some great advice on here, saved me a fortune on agent fees.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:59 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there... OH is applying for citizenship by descent and if granted I will need to apply for a spouse visa for me and the kids...
Don't get too carried away—your spouse may have to have citizenship for a period of time before someone else can apply for a visa based on their status.

I don't know your circumstances, but I'd check that part out first.

Then I'd definitely recommend doing it yourself. Good luck.

big.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Don't get too carried away—your spouse may have to have citizenship for a period of time before someone else can apply for a visa based on their status.
Not for sponsoring for a spouse visa!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:47 am
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

Do it yourself, it's easy. It took me no longer than a couple of weeks to fix everything up - it's just an inconvenience (and a rip off). You really do not need to use an agent.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it youself, as the others have said.....or I'll do it for an £800 "agent" fee
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

rebh will become famous soon enoughrebh will become famous soon enough

We did not bother to use an agent to get my spouse visa, save your money and use it to buy something more useful or fun when you get to Oz.

The booklet that is mentioned before is really good, work your way through it and get all the information that they need. Takes a bit of time but is worth it in the end.

Best of luck.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:21 pm
Des
Des

Des is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really nice

Hi

We did it ourselves its so straight forward i suggest you do it yourself . there is a lot a paperwork and documents to be submitted. we submitted everything in one go so i had my visa in under 10 working days. all the best

des
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:50 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not for sponsoring for a spouse visa!

Thanks for that and you are correct as OH was granted the citizenship yesterday and I can now go straight ahead and apply!!!!!! Hooray!!! C x