Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spouse Visa - do I need to get a QLD drivers license at the moment?

Spouse Visa - do I need to get a QLD drivers license at the moment?

Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Gussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to all
Default Spouse Visa - do I need to get a QLD drivers license at the moment?

I've heard so many different opinions on here it hard to know what to believe.

I'm on a Spouse Visa here in Australia with a full Irish drivers license. Can anyone confirm if I need to swap my Irish license for a QLD one since I've been living here for more than 3 months? From my understanding it only when I get permanent residency that I have to get one.

I also have a clean license, don't speed etc. but what happens to any demerit points that one would accumulate in Australia when you go to get your QLD license? I've always wondered this in case I ever get any!

Thanks guys
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Visa - do I need to get a QLD drivers license at the moment?

If you're on a temp visa you don't need to change over, you can stay on your current one until you have been PR for three months. However an Aussie licence the best form of ID you can have. Many places won't accept a 'foreign' one and you presumably have to take loads of different IDs to prove who you are at the moment.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gussy

I'm on a Spouse Visa here in Australia with a full Irish drivers license. Can anyone confirm if I need to swap my Irish license for a QLD one since I've been living here for more than 3 months? From my understanding it only when I get permanent residency that I have to get one.

I also have a clean license, don't speed etc. but what happens to any demerit points that one would accumulate in Australia when you go to get your QLD license? I've always wondered this in case I ever get any!

Thanks guys
Why not go for it if your Irish licence is on the recognised list for a straight swap? Its a very convenient form of ID besides medicare card.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:31 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Gussy

Thanks guys
The official information from QLD transport:

Q: When would my authority to drive in Queensland on my foreign driver licence be suspended?

A: Your authority to drive in Queensland on your foreign driver licence will be suspended if you have:
  • not paid any fines imposed on you by a court
  • accumulated an excess number of demerit points on your traffic history
  • been convicted of driving at more than 40 kilometres per hour over the speed limit
If you work on the basis that any points you get in QLD will be transferred to a QLD licence, then it won't be worse than that.

I have heard of that happening, but I have also heard of where people do not get them transferred. It may just be pot luck.