Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spouse Visa Applications

Spouse Visa Applications

Old Sep 23rd 2004, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

weenie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spouse Visa Applications

[QUOTE=Andy scaff]Hey mate, no idea why, but i thought you were a guy!
Yeah, been apart for about half of the last 3 years. No fun, but on the bright side its been cheaper on the air fares 'round europe! True what you say tho', it seems so much easier to find someone who'll talk to you in Oz, over here you seem to get there despite them, rather than with their help. Let me know how you get on, after all, I only found out what "front end loading" was by reading replies to your thread!, so i'll probably learn something. We didn't even try for the fiance visa for Caitlinn, 'cos we heard some horror stories from mates of mine who married Thai girls over here, she just rocked up at theifrow an we spent 3 hours in a full scale row with immigration. Probably not for everyone, but it worked for us! [/QUOTE

Cool, oh yes nickname deceiving! I saw your posting actually before, and see you have a complicated story with your visa situation, good luck with that mate cause it doesnt sound easy.

Great website, only found this today and very impressed!

Whats the current situ with your visa now? I take it you didnt 'front load' ? !!
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Andy scaff is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=weenie]
Originally Posted by Andy scaff
Hey mate, no idea why, but i thought you were a guy!
Yeah, been apart for about half of the last 3 years. No fun, but on the bright side its been cheaper on the air fares 'round europe! True what you say tho', it seems so much easier to find someone who'll talk to you in Oz, over here you seem to get there despite them, rather than with their help. Let me know how you get on, after all, I only found out what "front end loading" was by reading replies to your thread!, so i'll probably learn something. We didn't even try for the fiance visa for Caitlinn, 'cos we heard some horror stories from mates of mine who married Thai girls over here, she just rocked up at theifrow an we spent 3 hours in a full scale row with immigration. Probably not for everyone, but it worked for us! [/QUOTE

Cool, oh yes nickname deceiving! I saw your posting actually before, and see you have a complicated story with your visa situation, good luck with that mate cause it doesnt sound easy.

Great website, only found this today and very impressed!

Whats the current situ with your visa now? I take it you didnt 'front load' ? !!
Frontload? No kidding, I thought that was something to do with heavy plant machinery. Really! So, you read that thing I sent to stevereed? Bit of a mess, yeah? Unfortunately, seems to make no diff how sorry i am, or how much i know that i finally found the place i wanna live, or even how much fu****g tax i paid while i was there, it all comes down to the fact that i fu***d up. Damm! Still, it was without a doubt the best 5 years of my life, an i've lived pretty much every where worth living, so i really hope it all goes well (and quickly) for you.
On another note, waddya know about the meet in Hertford in Oct? Is it a private, clicky thing, or just a bunch of us with similar hopes, fears dreams, etc?
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 9:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Frontload? No kidding, I thought that was something to do with heavy plant machinery. Really! So, you read that thing I sent to stevereed? Bit of a mess, yeah? Unfortunately, seems to make no diff how sorry i am, or how much i know that i finally found the place i wanna live, or even how much fu****g tax i paid while i was there, it all comes down to the fact that i fu***d up. Damm! Still, it was without a doubt the best 5 years of my life, an i've lived pretty much every where worth living, so i really hope it all goes well (and quickly) for you.
On another note, waddya know about the meet in Hertford in Oct? Is it a private, clicky thing, or just a bunch of us with similar hopes, fears dreams, etc?
Hi guys,

Couple of things - Weenie, if your meds only went three weeks ago thats probably not excessive. Most people get spouse visas quicker cos they front-load & put in meds and police checks with the initial application. I think you might have to be patient for another couple of weeks.

Andy - the Herts meet will just be a bunch of people in the same boat, all hoping to get to Oz, or maybe NZ. I helped organise a couple in Brighton beofre I came out here and they are really good fun - you can let off stem and make some good friends - go along and give it a try!!

Good luck with the applications

Polly
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Andy scaff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hi guys,

Couple of things - Weenie, if your meds only went three weeks ago thats probably not excessive. Most people get spouse visas quicker cos they front-load & put in meds and police checks with the initial application. I think you might have to be patient for another couple of weeks.

Andy - the Herts meet will just be a bunch of people in the same boat, all hoping to get to Oz, or maybe NZ. I helped organise a couple in Brighton beofre I came out here and they are really good fun - you can let off stem and make some good friends - go along and give it a try!!

Good luck with the applications

Polly
Hey Polly, yeah, sounds good, think i'll give it a go. either way, it's good to hear from people who've been/ are going thru the same thing, makes me feel a bit less "picked on", y'know?
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 10:16 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Polly, yeah, sounds good, think i'll give it a go. either way, it's good to hear from people who've been/ are going thru the same thing, makes me feel a bit less "picked on", y'know?
The first Brighton meet that we had, none of us had met before, and there were about 25 of us, with kids, in this huge pub - eyeing each other suspiciously trying to work out if we were all supposed to be meeting! Once we started talking it was great, you can really let off steam and you find other people are going through the same feelings etc. I'm still in touch with lots of the friends I made then - some are here, some still en route, but it really does make a difference - you feel you are not alone!
We have also started up meets over here - been to several in Brissie & the Sunshine Coast, and we have our famous Brisbane Girls Drinking Club. Its not designed so that the Brits stick together and don't mix with the Aussies, cos Aussies are invited too, its just a good way of making friends and feeling less alone out here.
I would seriously recommend to anyone - go to meets on both sides of the world, good for friendships, good for letting off steam, and good for finding your way round a new country.
Old Sep 24th 2004, 4:07 pm
T&P
Forum Regular

T&P is on a distinguished road

HI all,

Good luck to all others awaiting their spouse visa.

I sent my front end loaded application on 14th Sept and received confirmation of receipt on 20th. I think I may be cat b on the meds over one small thing - hoping it will be ok!

We are planning on moving to Oz end October - so talk about presumptious!!!
Had the packers in today and everything.

Don't know what we will do if don't get visa in time. Going to book flights with Malaysian as u can change the outbound dates if necessary.

Eeeeeeeeeeek scared. :scared:

T x
Old Sep 24th 2004, 5:19 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Wish you luck with your visas. My husband front-loaded his and it took about 3 weeks, though I heard it's slower now due to demand. Front-loading is where you get all your documents together, evidence and affadavits and certified copies, and you get your own police check and medicals done (at a place from a list they give you on the DIMIA site) and you send it all in together. Your visa will run for 12 months from the date of the police check or meds, whichever is earlier.

Non-FL applications take quite a lot longer, up to 6 months I believe, though it varies. This is still better than 15 years ago when they didn't have front-loading and it took up to 18 months!

They seriously discourage people from phoning up for progress reports, because so many people used to do it that it slowed their work down by miles due to answering phones all the time. However if you are genuinely worried about the arrival of your meds you could call the switchboard and explain the situation. I'd wait another couple of weeks first.

Best of luck and I hope they come through soon!
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:23 am
Just Joined

rootsie is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I intend to apply shortly for a spouse visa to Australia, having been married for 8 years to an Aussie citizen, but resident in the UK. I am aware of the various procedures etc but I need to know, before I initiate my application, how long I will be given to 'check in', which is not so much of a problem, but more so, within what period will I have to return permanently to take up residency?

This is important in so much as it is a matter of timing from a retirement, or possibly early retirement point of view.

I hope you can help, or point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in anticipation
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:38 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rootsie
Hi all,

I intend to apply shortly for a spouse visa to Australia, having been married for 8 years to an Aussie citizen, but resident in the UK. I am aware of the various procedures etc but I need to know, before I initiate my application, how long I will be given to 'check in', which is not so much of a problem, but more so, within what period will I have to return permanently to take up residency?

This is important in so much as it is a matter of timing from a retirement, or possibly early retirement point of view.

I hope you can help, or point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in anticipation
As you have been together over 5 years (2 years where children are involved)you should be given migrant visa which will give you permanent residency on arrival. Normally one has to validate (enter oz for first time after visa grant) 12 months from the earlier of the PCCs and medicals. Your visa is valid for travel 5 years from grant.

You then must consider obtain enough residency in oz to apply for an RRV or citizenship so you can travel outside of OZ when the initial migrant visa runs out. PTlabs FAQ covers this.

When do you intend on settling in Oz?
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:08 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm another spouse visa hopeful. I'm a pom, Mr B is an aussie. We spent a year living together in Oz and the last four years living here in the UK (Mr B has right of abode here). We've been planning the visa for 5 years now, have boxes of evidence etc etc and it's all ready to go. My mum has been very ill, so it's on hold for now, which is tricky.

We will be front end loading - basically it means that you get everything together and send the lot to the AHC. All the forms, your police check and medical and all your evidence, as much as you can muster. You send the lot and they make a decision based on that. It simply cuts down the time it takes to process your application because they have all the evidence required in one batch without having to come back to you for more, wait for you to get police checks and medicals etc. With front end loading the average wait seems to be 2-3 weeks (although many get theirs in days). Without, it can take several months, although I think DIMIA quote 4 months as a realistic expectation.

There are various things that can delay your application:

1. Problems with a police check, occasionally requiring character refs

2. Problems with your medical - if you are on any medication at all, or are receiving treatment for any ongoing condition, you will be placed in Category B at your medical. All this usually means is a delay in processing while your medical forms are sent to a Commonwealth Medical Officer for approval. Let me know if you want more info on this, I've done a stack of research on it.

3. Not enough evidence - can happen to people who have been together for little more than the 12 months required, or who live separately at times (eg one in Oz, one in the UK)

4. Wrong payment details - silly, but it happens.

5. Missing forms

6. Items 'mislaid' - happens more often than you would think. Get everything sent recorded delivery.

As for the various meets that happen around the country, here and in Oz, you should go along. They're not clicky at all, just a great chance to meet other people going through the same thing, talk about Oz and the practical side of things and generally have a good time! Usually organised to meet at a pub and people always bring their kids.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 10:18 am
Just Joined

rootsie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bondipom
As you have been together over 5 years (2 years where children are involved)you should be given migrant visa which will give you permanent residency on arrival. Normally one has to validate (enter oz for first time after visa grant) 12 months from the earlier of the PCCs and medicals. Your visa is valid for travel 5 years from grant.

You then must consider obtain enough residency in oz to apply for an RRV or citizenship so you can travel outside of OZ when the initial migrant visa runs out. PTlabs FAQ covers this.

When do you intend on settling in Oz?
Bondipom,

Thanks for that, I was aware of the 5 year rule etc but as we were unlikely to move there pemanently for another 3 years I didn't want to find myself getting my residency and then losing it because I hadn't taken it up! The 12 months validation period is no problem as we visit regularly, but given what you have said I can now safely apply I reckon.

Again, many thanks

Steve
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

RubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really nice

Originally Posted by weenie
Hi, Im new to this website, so Im not sure if I am in the right forum discussion area?

Is anyone going through the AUS Spouse visa application process at the moment through Australian High Commission in the UK?

Interested to speak to people who are going through the process as I am still awaiting mine and its been a while (ish)
Weenie,

any news from you?

I'm in the UK and spouse (also in UK) is aussie with UK right of abode.

Posted my spouse visa application to London 2 weeks ago. Cash was taken after 2 days but not heard anything yet. I sent the police check but didn't front-load the medicals. I was seriously expecting a quick response after reading some of the threads on here.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 9:53 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by RubyPearl
Weenie,

any news from you?

I'm in the UK and spouse (also in UK) is aussie with UK right of abode.

Posted my spouse visa application to London 2 weeks ago. Cash was taken after 2 days but not heard anything yet. I sent the police check but didn't front-load the medicals. I was seriously expecting a quick response after reading some of the threads on here.
This thread dates from Sept 2004