Spouse and Medical Entitlement

Spouse and Medical Entitlement

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse and Medical Entitlement

Hi there

As one of them, perhaps one of you Ozzie citizens married to Poms can help me out here?

Hubby has been granted his visa and much to my surprise I have NOT been required to post a bond for his Assurance of Support - does this mean that he will be entitled to get medical treatment within those first 2 years without me having to refund the state??? As I understood it he would not be entitled to anything until he had been in Oz two year and/or became a citizen. I'm not concerned about the other benefits (as per a previous thread about dole bludgers) but as we have lived in the USA for years with no health insurance (TOO EXPENSIVE) things have been neglected somewhat!

I would just like to have peace of mind for him, just in case!

Thanks and keeping my head down against the barrage of abuse!

Wannabe Wallaby
(Should be in Perth early November)
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 3:31 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Spouse and Medical Entitlement

Originally posted by WannabeWallaby
Hi there

As one of them, perhaps one of you Ozzie citizens married to Poms can help me out here?

Hubby has been granted his visa and much to my surprise I have NOT been required to post a bond for his Assurance of Support - does this mean that he will be entitled to get medical treatment within those first 2 years without me having to refund the state??? As I understood it he would not be entitled to anything until he had been in Oz two year and/or became a citizen. I'm not concerned about the other benefits (as per a previous thread about dole bludgers) but as we have lived in the USA for years with no health insurance (TOO EXPENSIVE) things have been neglected somewhat!

I would just like to have peace of mind for him, just in case!

Thanks and keeping my head down against the barrage of abuse!

Wannabe Wallaby
(Should be in Perth early November)
Hi There!,
i am an Ozzie citizen and my hubbie came out here on a spouse visa. As he was given a permanent residency visa, (don't know what you mean by a bond for assurance of support?) and is entitled to use Medicare from the day he landed. He can't claim any welfare or other kinds of benefits like you mentioned but having that visa means thay are entitled to Medicare.
Hope this helps.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by janeyray
Hi There!,
i am an Ozzie citizen and my hubbie came out here on a spouse visa. As he was given a permanent residency visa, (don't know what you mean by a bond for assurance of support?) and is entitled to use Medicare from the day he landed. He can't claim any welfare or other kinds of benefits like you mentioned but having that visa means thay are entitled to Medicare.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply, I have read two different books on the subject one said yes and one said no!!! Arrgghh!!

Where abouts in Perth are you? We are looking to head for Bunbury/Busselton/Mandurah area - mostly due to the affordable housing that seems to be available and (fingers crossed) we will not need to live near the city for jobs etc

WW
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 3:44 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by WannabeWallaby
Thanks for your reply, I have read two different books on the subject one said yes and one said no!!! Arrgghh!!

Where abouts in Perth are you? We are looking to head for Bunbury/Busselton/Mandurah area - mostly due to the affordable housing that seems to be available and (fingers crossed) we will not need to live near the city for jobs etc

WW
Just moving to Ellenbrook, about 22k from the city. Not been to Bunbury or Busselton but Mandurah was lovely.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Janeyray is right. My British husband was entitled to claim everything but unemployment related benefits last time we lived in Oz. I think the idea is to encourage you to go back home again if you're unemployable in Oz! The residence visa covers everything else.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:38 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I have an Aussie wife....so am in a similar circumstance...

Can i apply for jobs that state "perminant residence status" required on the job app?

Can't seem to get a definitive answer.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeteY - yes. You have permanent residency as soon as you arrive in Oz as an spouse immigrant. It expires after 5 years but before then you can get citizenship if you're still there.

The ads are meant to exclude foreign workers who will need employer sponsorship for a work visa.

Good luck.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:11 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Jolyn
PeteY - yes. You have permanent residency as soon as you arrive in Oz as an spouse immigrant. It expires after 5 years but before then you can get citizenship if you're still there.

The ads are meant to exclude foreign workers who will need employer sponsorship for a work visa.

Good luck.
Thanks Jolyn...

The thing that i find confusing is that it says temp visa on the sticker.... I have to renew the visa after 2 years.

As far as im aware thats the situation for all spouse visas?

Bit of a minefield this immigration eh!
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

My husband's visa doesn't say that - maybe we've been together longer or whatever. Who knows with immigration officials?

But you can still get the jobs you want as you are a permanent resident for the time you are there. Bizarre but true. They'll ask your visa status. You explain it's straightforward as you're married to an Aussie. That's all employers will want to know. They know that means you can stay indefinitely without them filling in any paperwork or having to prove they can't get a local.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:24 pm
A Male Member

My husband's visa doesn't say that - maybe we've been together longer or whatever. Who knows with immigration officials?

But you can still get the jobs you want as you are a permanent resident for the time you are there. Bizarre but true. They'll ask your visa status. You explain it's straightforward as you're married to an Aussie. That's all employers will want to know. They know that means you can stay indefinitely without them filling in any paperwork or having to prove they can't get a local.
Sounds logical. Many thanks!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 1:19 am
home again, home again

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeteY
Thanks Jolyn...

The thing that i find confusing is that it says temp visa on the sticker.... I have to renew the visa after 2 years.

As far as I'am aware thats the situation for all spouse visas?

You have me confused now (easily done!) but my husband was granted a 'sub class 100 Spouse Visa' in Feb 2003 nowhere on the visa does it say that it has to be renewed after 2 years, it says

" Permitted to remain in Australia Indefinitley"

If he wishes to travel back and forth between the Uk and Oz he is able to freely up until Feb 2008, if he doesn't get Australian Citizenship by then he would need a "return to Australia " visa to get back into Oz.

With this '100 class visa' he is classed as an Permanent Australian Resident and is entitled to all Medicare treatment and to apply for any advertised job as though he were a citizen.

I hope this helps you Pete Y ??!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

My husband's visa says the same as yours Janeyray. PeteY's seems to be different.

Something must be different about your circumstances PeteY. Are you newly married so have yet to pass the 'still together' criteria? Curious.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
I have an Aussie wife....so am in a similar circumstance...

Can i apply for jobs that state "perminant residence status" required on the job app?

Can't seem to get a definitive answer.

Full PR status is not what you will have, so no, you will not be able to apply for PR reqquired jobs without being dishonest on the form. You will have a form of temporary residence.

Still, there is no need for an income in Oz - it is all about quality of life. Ask any of the future poms here - Oz operates under different economic rules to those followed on the rest of the planet and jobs and money are not needed - it is "lifestyle" here.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 7:52 am
A Male Member

My husband's visa says the same as yours Janeyray. PeteY's seems to be different.

Something must be different about your circumstances PeteY. Are you newly married so have yet to pass the 'still together' criteria? Curious.
Weve been together 5 years, married for two...

I will have a look at the "visa class" thats printed on the sticker and let you know what it says tonight.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 8:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They are supposed to give you a 2 year temp residence visa, and then at some point in those 2 years they turn it into perm residence. Some people seem to get the perm one straight away, apparently its up to the case officer. When I got my fiance visa the case officer said theres no hard and fast rule about it.

Jolyn - many thanks for the info on visa status & jobs - its the clearest answer I've got and I've asked the question several times!