Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spouse employment and STNI

Spouse employment and STNI

Old Jul 18th 2004, 3:47 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spouse employment and STNI

I have a few questions that do not seem to be on the list kindly created by Ptlabs.

My wife and I are applying for STNI, useing Victoria as our nominated state, but are not sure about the employment issues.

As it is my wife that is applying and I would be getting in on her visa so to speak, how does this effect my employment situation?

It is my wifes intention to continue her self employment status as a haridresser, but prior to us leaving I would hope to find employment. Ideally me going first (if this is possible) Do I need to have my skills assessed by the TRA before going? If so then there may be a problem:

My career history is as follows:
Currently unemployed (1 Month)
6 Months change management role as an Operations Manager
10 months unemployed.
10 months as General manager (made redundent due to company relocation from the UK to the US)
Over 5 years as a Senior Design Engineer (promoted to general manager above)
Prior to this I have held engineering design positions throghout my career.

Academically I have an Engineering Degree and also and MBA. So as you can see, whilst my career is predominently Engineering Design, these positions have not been in the last 12 months. Looking at the TRA you need to have held the role/position for 12 of the last 18 months or 3 of the 4 years. Which seems to me to make things quite difficult.

If anyone has any ideas suggestions or has found themselves in a simiar position I would be only too pleased to hear about it.

Thanks Gary
Old Jul 18th 2004, 4:13 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse employment and STNI

Originally posted by gsb
As it is my wife that is applying and I would be getting in on her visa so to speak, how does this effect my employment situation?
You will have PR and so will be able to work too.
Ideally me going first (if this is possible)
This won't be possible. The main applicant has to enter the country first.
Do I need to have my skills assessed by the TRA before going?
Only if you are claiming extra points for spouse skills, which I doubt if you are going via STNI.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 5:44 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Why STNI ? as your wife is a Hairdresser she is on the MODL and that is currently being fast-tracked through the system - according to DIMIA about 3 months processing time after TRA.

That way your wife doesn't nessesarily need to work and you all have independence to do as you please as it will be a PR visa.

Just a thought.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 6:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse employment and STNI

Originally posted by wmoore
This won't be possible. The main applicant has to enter the country first.
However once you've both made your first entry to Australia, you can move in and out independently.

The main applicant only has to *enter* first and does not have to *settle* first.

Only if you are claiming extra points for spouse skills, which I doubt if you are going via STNI.
Skill assessment might still be needed for employment. Depends on circumstances. DIMIA would not require it for migration however.

It's not clear why Gary is talking about TRA unless he's a tradesman - IEAUST may be the more appropriate place to look.

Jeremy