Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spouse 457 and Public Sector Jobs

Spouse 457 and Public Sector Jobs

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice
Default Spouse 457 and Public Sector Jobs

Hi

Now I am sorted, SWMBO is starting to look. Notwithstanding the current discussions over taking local jobs etc. could someone advise if there are any restrictions for the spouse of a 457 holder applying for and working in the public sector? We have found a number of vacancies which my wife is qualified for but would like to know if the public sector requires PR.

Many thanks!!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse 457 and Public Sector Jobs

Originally Posted by Dorutland
Hi

Now I am sorted, SWMBO is starting to look. Notwithstanding the current discussions over taking local jobs etc. could someone advise if there are any restrictions for the spouse of a 457 holder applying for and working in the public sector? We have found a number of vacancies which my wife is qualified for but would like to know if the public sector requires PR.

Many thanks!!
Depends on which bit of the public sector, and which State.
Federal jobs generally need citizenship, Some States insist on PR for all State levels jobs. Queensland will allow appointment to temp jobs on a temp visa - and some contracts are extendable for years.
www.jobs.qld.gov.au is the site for Qld State jobs.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

Many thanks for that Polyanna. That helps a lot.

Thanks!!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Federal government roles are limited to Australian citizens, (and some departments depending on level of security clearance also require 5/10 years residence in Australia).

If you are looking at jobs on the internet anything listed on the federal gov recruitment website (apsjobs.gov.au) is going to be out for this reason. A large proportion of federal government jobs are based in the capital, Canberra, with departments having smaller branches out in the states.

State governments have their own websites (which will end in something like qld.gov.au) and it will say in the ad what the citizenship/residency requirements are.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is easy getting a job though even with PR.

I have applied for quite a few jobs with Consumer Affairs and the Department of Justice . I am a lawyer by trade and in the UK I prosecuted for Trading Standards and Environmental Health, I also managed the Consumer Advice Team, dealt with service complaints and did most of the TV and radio interviews. I also have the DMS and I am a Lead Auditor ISO 9000. Can I even get an interview? No. I phoned CAV yesterday and asked if they could give me some feedback as I am flummoxed why I can't even get an interview. The chap I spoke to said that they were not allowed but said that had I have phoned them before the closing date and arranged to look around the department then I might have got an interview!!!
Old Apr 4th 2009, 4:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
I don't think it is easy getting a job though even with PR.

I have applied for quite a few jobs with Consumer Affairs and the Department of Justice . I am a lawyer by trade and in the UK I prosecuted for Trading Standards and Environmental Health, I also managed the Consumer Advice Team, dealt with service complaints and did most of the TV and radio interviews. I also have the DMS and I am a Lead Auditor ISO 9000. Can I even get an interview? No. I phoned CAV yesterday and asked if they could give me some feedback as I am flummoxed why I can't even get an interview. The chap I spoke to said that they were not allowed but said that had I have phoned them before the closing date and arranged to look around the department then I might have got an interview!!!
It does help - phoning the person named as the contact and asking them a few questions about the position fixes you in their minds. Not saying this works with every interviewer, but I have worked qith several Directors in Qld Govt who do actively remember all those who call in advance. It can't do any harm