Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spousal skills points

Spousal skills points

Old Sep 27th 2002, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

tanderra will become famous soon enough
Default Spousal skills points

I need some help, looking at the 'spouse skills'. How can I prove that I meet the requirements. I have a college diploma is computer systems, and worked in IT for 5 years for one company. I took 5 years off to look after the kids, however did some web design on the side in those 5 years. A year ago I started my own internet business developing web sites for local businesss etc. I only have one years tax year to date. Based on this would this qualify for the extra 5 points that we need. Any idea how ACS would view this since I,m not the primary applicant? Any advice is apreciated!

Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2002, 2:34 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spousal skills points

Originally posted by tanderra:
I need some help, looking at the 'spouse skills'. How can I prove that I meet the requirements. I have a college diploma is computer systems, and worked in IT for 5 years for one company. I took 5 years off to look after the kids, however did some web design on the side in those 5 years. A year ago I started my own internet business developing web sites for local businesss etc. I only have one years tax year to date. Based on this would this qualify for the extra 5 points that we need. Any idea how ACS would view this since I,m not the primary applicant? Any advice is apreciated!

Thanks
I think unfortunately you would possibly get successful SOL assessment but fail DIMIA on 'recent work experience' unless you can persuade DIMIA differently through provision of evidence - tax returns, contracts, hours worked etc in the last 5 years including the 'ad hoc' years. ACS don't care whether you are principal applicant or spouse in their assessment.
Old Sep 27th 2002, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

tanderra will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by pleasancefamily:

I think unfortunately you would possibly get successful SOL assessment but fail DIMIA on 'recent work experience' unless you can persuade DIMIA differently through provision of evidence - tax returns, contracts, hours worked etc in the last 5 years including the 'ad hoc' years. ACS don't care whether you are principal applicant or spouse in their assessment.
I am getting confused now. So do I have to apply to the ACS to assess my skills, even though it is only for 5 points. I can see if I was the main applicant and looking for 50 or 60 points. Or do I sent my diploma to the DIMIA instead. It also doesn't help that I can't seem to get onto the government site today.

Thanks....
Old Sep 27th 2002, 4:25 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

> Originally posted by tanderra:
> I am getting confused now. So do I have to apply to the ACS to assess
> my skills, even though it is only for 5 points.

Yes. You will have to get your skills assessed by the ACS if you wish to claim the 5 bonus points for spouse skills

> Or do I sent my diploma to the DIMIA instead. It also doesn't help
> that I can't seem to get onto the government site today.

The Skilled Migration Booklet 6 has the details, if you already have it at hand.

Peter