Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spotswood quarantine Centre

Spotswood quarantine Centre

Old Sep 28th 2005, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spotswood quarantine Centre

Hi our dog is going into Spotswood quarantine centre, Victoria next month and like everybody else who has shipped their dog out we are really worried.

Has anyone out there sent their Pets to Spotswood and what do you think of the place.

John & Julie
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Spotswood quarantine Centre

John & Julie
Do not worry! Spotswood is very clean and well laid out and staffed with people who obviously love animals and their jobs. The head vet is very understanding and helpful. It is worse for us humans I am sure. Our 2 golden retrievers spent 30 days there and we visited them 4 times and were fine, they had even had a bath and a clip just before we collected them and looked super. The only thing I will say is that after 30 days ours were a little confused when we picked them up, and for a day or so after. But they love it here now, and so do we.
Good luck.
Roger
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Hi John and Julie - as Roger said, do not worry. Our dog and two cats were in Spotswood and they were all just fine. You are allowed to visit twice per week (which I chose to do) and you can exercise your dogs in the individual runs that they have - which are large enough for a ball game. Unfortunately, whilst our pets were there they had an outbreak of kennel cough which prevented the dogs from being exercised for the last 2 weeks of her stay. Our dog did not catch it though. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Our dog did have a bit of seperation anxiety when she came home but that was sorted out within a matter of days I would say.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pipers Mummy
Hi John and Julie - as Roger said, do not worry. Our dog and two cats were in Spotswood and they were all just fine. You are allowed to visit twice per week (which I chose to do) and you can exercise your dogs in the individual runs that they have - which are large enough for a ball game. Unfortunately, whilst our pets were there they had an outbreak of kennel cough which prevented the dogs from being exercised for the last 2 weeks of her stay. Our dog did not catch it though. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Our dog did have a bit of seperation anxiety when she came home but that was sorted out within a matter of days I would say.
Hi Louise! Fancy seeing you here, it's Tracey J, Molly and Brodie's mum from COL . Hope you're all well and happy in your new lives, good to hear Piper came through the ordeal well. Take care.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there Tracey......what are you doing on here? Are you coming over too?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pipers Mummy
Hi there Tracey......what are you doing on here? Are you coming over too?
Possibly to Perth with Ian's work, feeling a bit :scared: at the minute as it's all really sudden. Just off to bed, I'll pm you in the morning.

John and Julie, sorry to hijack your thread . We'll be bringing our 2 cocker spaniels over and I'm sick at the thought of it, the youngest one is such a mummy's boy I don't know how he'll cope. I'd be interested to hear your experience of the whole shipping process, who you're using etc. From what I can gather the quarantine centres are really good and the animals seem to come through the experience without too much problems. Doesn't stop you worrying though. I'm sure s/he'll be fine .
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

I'll PM you later Tracey
Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

The Johnstons
We used Golden Arrow (absolutely superb) to bring over our 2 golden retrievers who, like yours, were absolutely ruined and had loads of concerns and many tears at the thought of their journey. Well they came through fine, in perfect condition, no weight gain or loss and they looked good as gold when we collected them. One lost her bark for a few days and they seemed a bit bewildered for a day or two after collection but they absolutely love it here. They do not like the thunder and I have to sleep on the spare bed with them when it is really bad!
Good luck
Roger
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Yes, forgot to say that we used Airpets - www.airpets.co.uk - I got quotes from lots of companies and they were quite competetive - also, they do all of the final vet checks included in the price. Additionally, BA refused to carry our pets on the planned departure date (BA's fault not Airpets) and Airpets were superb in keeping us informed - I was in Dubai and hubby in Melbourne - and boarded them for an extra night at no charge to us. We were happy with the service we received.

Good luck.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

John and Julie, sorry to hijack your thread . We'll be bringing our 2 cocker spaniels over and I'm sick at the thought of it, the youngest one is such a mummy's boy I don't know how he'll cope. I'd be interested to hear your experience of the whole shipping process, who you're using etc. From what I can gather the quarantine centres are really good and the animals seem to come through the experience without too much problems. Doesn't stop you worrying though. I'm sure s/he'll be fine .[/QUOTE]

Thanks everybody for your posts they have put our minds at rest a bit. Our dog is a 6 year old Lhasa Apso and he is very laid back, so he should be ok, we don't think that we will visit him at Spotswood as I think that it will be harder for us to leave him, what do you think out there about visiting?

We are using Par Air from Colchester and they appear to be very good and on the ball.

John & Julie
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Personally, there is no way that I would not have visited them. If you do not visit then the dogs are confined to their runs for the entire period. It was hard and upsetting when I had to leave my dog in particular but at least I knew she was exercised well twice a week..... Also, I groomed her and the cats.

As nice as the quarantine staff are they do not have time to groom and exercise individual animals. They will though, as Roger pointed out, give your dog a bath and groom if required prior to leaving!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:12 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

My two cats were in Spotswood when they arrived and were well looked after, all the staff there are great and all animal lovers. Cat pens were pretty new, air con, piped soothing music, three pens only to a unit, plenty of food etc.

Used Airpets as well and they were also great. They did send them a couple of days early due to a misunderstanding on when I was arriving (went via States to see a friend for a couple of days then had five days with friends in Sydney before heading to Melbourne) they were supposed to arrive in Melbourne same day as me but got a call from Spotswood two days after I got to Sydney wondering where I was a scats had been there for 3 days.

Now I have two smug furry little brats who will always be three days more 'Aussie' than me

Oh and another thread worth reading here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=322882&pp=15

Last edited by Flying Banana; Sep 29th 2005 at 1:12 pm. Reason: Added link
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi we decided to have a trial run with the blood tests as the last thing we needed was a problem and our dog to stay in the UK while we are in OZ. Our Vets are great and suggested this and charged us cost, they came back today negative so thats something we don't have to worry about.

John & Julie
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

davykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud of

Hi All

were looking to go to Perth but what i was wondering it how much it was to take your pets as we have a 5 year old border collie and dont know if it would like the change or to find her a loving home here
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by davykaz
Hi All

were looking to go to Perth but what i was wondering it how much it was to take your pets as we have a 5 year old border collie and dont know if it would like the change or to find her a loving home here

Hi their are a lot of good animal shipping agents, Par air, Airpets, Golden Arrow. If you give them your dogs dimensions, they will give you a quote, our Lhasa Apso cost us £1050.00 plus blood tests, quarantine etc.

John & Julie