Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On the spot tax refunds

On the spot tax refunds

Old Apr 8th 2005, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice
Default On the spot tax refunds

Flights paid for back to UK,movers coming,then realised my tax refund took 12 days last year,finish work 26th May,flights back are 2nd June,does anyone know of any tax consultants in Geelong/Melbourne that do refunds super quick as I don't want to spend frantic days chasing my money around especially as everyone will want paying!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 3:50 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: On the spot tax refunds

Originally Posted by wafoo1
Flights paid for back to UK,movers coming,then realised my tax refund took 12 days last year,finish work 26th May,flights back are 2nd June,does anyone know of any tax consultants in Geelong/Melbourne that do refunds super quick as I don't want to spend frantic days chasing my money around especially as everyone will want paying!
I doubt if any will do refunds before the end of the Tax Year.

Old Apr 8th 2005, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I doubt if any will do refunds before the end of the Tax Year.
yes,you just lodge a early submission form,available from the tax office.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 4:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wafoo1
yes,you just lodge a early submission form,available from the tax office.
But will the Tax Agents themselves actually do an early refund ? These special "advance refunds" are normally done at the beginning of tax years, when they can expect to get the money back from the Tax Office very quickly, as these normal returns are rarely checked before the refund is given.

I feel that an early submission return will be checked carefully before a return is given as, if you have left the country, they cannot come back to you later and say, we have revised this.

These are only my feelings, as I have never done an early submission, but if I was a Tax Agent, I would be reluctant to give an advance Tax Refund/Loan to someone leaving the country, just on the basis of information that the Tax Office may reject.

These "On the spot tax refunds" are in effect just loans from the Tax Agent based on the security of knowing the Tax Office will give a refund of Exactly what they put on the tax return. I think that the guarantee for that only applies to normal end of year returns, but I may be wrong.

Good luck though, it is always worth asking

Old Apr 8th 2005, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But will the Tax Agents themselves actually do an early refund ? These special "advance refunds" are normally done at the beginning of tax years, when they can expect to get the money back from the Tax Office very quickly, as these normal returns are rarely checked before the refund is given.

I feel that an early submission return will be checked carefully before a return is given as, if you have left the country, they cannot come back to you later and say, we have revised this.

These are only my feelings, as I have never done an early submission, but if I was a Tax Agent, I would be reluctant to give an advance Tax Refund/Loan to someone leaving the country, just on the basis of information that the Tax Office may reject.

These "On the spot tax refunds" are in effect just loans from the Tax Agent based on the security of knowing the Tax Office will give a refund of Exactly what they put on the tax return. I think that the guarantee for that only applies to normal end of year returns, but I may be wrong.

Good luck though, it is always worth asking
Probably true,like you say,can only try,thanks