British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sports car - import or buy? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sports-car-import-buy-489948/)

Phipsons Oct 27th 2007 4:02 pm

Sports car - import or buy?

We'd like to buy a sports car when we get to Oz ( eg Porsche/Mercedes - either classic or new).

We've read that import tax is really steep, but we're not sure if it would still be cheaper to buy the car in the UK and pay the duties, or buy it when we arrive.

Any advice?

sammyg Oct 27th 2007 4:34 pm

Re: Sports car - import or buy?

Looked into this myself - when are you planning on leaving?

... because the first import requirement is that you must have owned the car for 12 months or more in the UK before it is possible to import to oz:thumbup:

Phipsons Oct 27th 2007 5:25 pm

In about 12 months, so we can - but only just!!

DrWho Oct 27th 2007 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Phipsons (Post 5476053)
We'd like to buy a sports car when we get to Oz ( eg Porsche/Mercedes - either classic or new).

We've read that import tax is really steep, but we're not sure if it would still be cheaper to buy the car in the UK and pay the duties, or buy it when we arrive.

Any advice?

Depends what it is... Used cars over here are generally much more expensive than back in Blighty... Having said that the cost of getting it over and registering it is considerable and it will always be treated as a import which will have negative effects on its' value compared to the equivalent vehicle imported by the manufacturer to Aussie specs. However the difference in value can make it worthwhile: I certainly wish I'd brought my DB7 over, worth £40k back there but can't find one for less than $160k over here...

Ian & Sharon Oct 27th 2007 8:45 pm

Try www.tradingpost.com.au for a guide on prices.

I have a 74 Moke that I'm doing up at the moment, the body goes to the painters in the next few weeks. I have found it cheap to do with spares being quite reasonably priced and readly available.

Have a look on here - http://moke.com.au/Forum/index.php?topic=1456.0

I've just swopped the front drums to disc, can you tell our Alan works for 888 racing :thumbsup:

MartinH Oct 27th 2007 9:07 pm

Why bother?

Ian & Sharon Oct 27th 2007 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by MartinH (Post 5476700)
Why bother?

Because we have the weather here to use it daily, great for going the Gold Coast :p

MartinH Oct 27th 2007 10:15 pm

I mean why both with a sports car when the speed limits are so low and so religeously enforced?

I currently live in Germany and drive a 911 (C4S) but I would never dream of owning such a car in Australia

Timber Floor Au Oct 27th 2007 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by MartinH (Post 5476950)
I mean why both with a sports car when the speed limits are so low and so religeously enforced?

I currently live in Germany and drive a 911 (C4S) but I would never dream of owning such a car in Australia

I had same problem with my Testarossa and Mclaren !

Timber Floor Au Oct 27th 2007 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Phipsons (Post 5476053)

Any advice?

Dont bother importing a car, unless its a V8, very rare, or you have seriously got it for a song.

Imported cars, are always imported cars.. and do not attain or command prices comparable to aussie sold cars

Ian & Sharon Oct 27th 2007 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by MartinH (Post 5476950)

That's why I've gone for a Moke :D

Plus it's simple to work on, me my 5 years old son and 3 year old daughter are doing it up. We only work on it Saturday morning and its been great fun, righty tighty - lefty loosey :thumbsup:

Should be ready this time next year :)

Ian & Sharon Oct 27th 2007 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5477018)
I had same problem with my Testarossa and Mclaren !

Yer there a bugger to get through the emissions
:D

Timber Floor Au Oct 28th 2007 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon (Post 5477113)
Yer there a bugger to get through the emissions
:D

Kin Oath

and since i sold the helicopter, i find it so tedious.

mind you, I reckon the hot car to import is deffo a Lotus Elise or TVR Cerberra

stu:0 Oct 28th 2007 3:36 am

There was a thread on here a few months back from a guy that shipped a audi tt over. He broke down the full costs for importing it, maybe worth hunting for? If i remember right the cost worked out on par but it was low milage so it worked out better.

h2oskineil Oct 28th 2007 7:01 am

Originally Posted by stu:0 (Post 5477695)
There was a thread on here a few months back from a guy that shipped a audi tt over. He broke down the full costs for importing it, maybe worth hunting for? If i remember right the cost worked out on par but it was low milage so it worked out better.

Here you go..... How to import a car!!

http://australia.wikia.com/wiki/Brit...portingYourCar

Neil.