sport sport

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 10:31 pm
dazuk

Default sport sport

Sport, is it in indication of an inward looking, fundamentaly dull and uninteresting country to be so obsessed with sport??

Maybe like the Soviet Union East Germany etc in the 1980,s???

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 11:39 pm
Badge

Default Re: sport sport

Originally posted by dazuk
Sport, is it in indication of an inward looking, fundamentaly dull and uninteresting country to be so obsessed with sport??

I wouldn't say so. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
The more the better I say.

As we no longer have to climb trees, hunt animals etc (well most of us) sport is a handy substitute for real life. Gets some of us out in the open air etc.

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 11:43 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
I wouldn't say so. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
The more the better I say.

As we no longer have to climb trees, hunt animals etc (well most of us) sport is a handy substitute for real life. Gets some of us out in the open air etc.

Unfortunately all play and no work makes Jack a very hungry boy.

In Maslow's hierarchy of needs (and now the science bit) sport is fulfilling some of the more basic human needs (and nothing wrong with that). A recognition of this and acceptance that their are other higher order needs to fulfill (Wilf's 'culture') makes for a more well rounded nation.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:03 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Sport is not compulsary. Nor is vegetating. Nor is pub attendance. If you need social interaction of different kinds there are all sorts of clubs and associations out there. Alternatively persue your hobby privately. Seek and you will find. Lie about whinging and you will be left behind.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Sport is not compulsary. Nor is vegetating. Nor is pub attendance. If you need social interaction of different kinds there are all sorts of clubs and associations out there. Alternatively persue your hobby privately. Seek and you will find. Lie about whinging and you will be left behind.

The word "whingeing" again Mega? I am keeping my eye on you and your one page dictionary.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:45 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Okay, Aus is obsessed with sport. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing, that's what everyone accepts.

To determine if it's good or bad you have to look at the alternatives. What are the obsessions with other countries ?

The UK. Do "we" have an obsession ?. Outsiders I guess would say we're obsessed with the past and the need to cling on to past glories, refusing to accept that our roll in the world lessens daily.

The US. I've lived there (2 years) and have a morbid curiosity in what they get up to. I used to really admire the US, and then I grew up.

To me the US obsession is money. At the level of the population it's a need to keep up with the Jonses, but not the neighbours, for the yanks, the Joneses are the successful characters in the tv shows, with their white teeth and oh so whitty and world wise 6 year old comedian kids.

At the governmental level, the US are obsessed with money can be described as "I'm all right Jack". We must defend our rights to waste oil and to hell with the environment and future generations. We must invade Iraq at any cost so that we can use up the remaining 50 years of oil before other nations can catch up with us - we want to be the last man standing when the oil is all gone and only the rich can survive.

The French are obsessed with their culture. They value their identity. You've got to admire it as well as hate them for it. Pat them on the back for not wanting to consumed by other cultures, and you also want to punch them in the face for the arogance of it all.

I'm Welsh. We're obsessed with rugby and sheep. No hang on that's NZ.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by welshpom
Okay, Aus is obsessed with sport. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing, that's what everyone accepts.

To determine if it's good or bad you have to look at the alternatives. What are the obsessions with other countries ?

The UK. Do "we" have an obsession ?. Outsiders I guess would say we're obsessed with the past and the need to cling on to past glories, refusing to accept that our roll in the world lessens daily.

The US. I've lived there (2 years) and have a morbid curiosity in what they get up to. I used to really admire the US, and then I grew up.

To me the US obsession is money. At the level of the population it's a need to keep up with the Jonses, but not the neighbours, for the yanks, the Joneses are the successful characters in the tv shows, with their white teeth and oh so whitty and world wise 6 year old comedian kids.

At the governmental level, the US are obsessed with money can be described as "I'm all right Jack". We must defend our rights to waste oil and to hell with the environment and future generations. We must invade Iraq at any cost so that we can use up the remaining 50 years of oil before other nations can catch up with us - we want to be the last man standing when the oil is all gone and only the rich can survive.

The French are obsessed with their culture. They value their identity. You've got to admire it as well as hate them for it. Pat them on the back for not wanting to consumed by other cultures, and you also want to punch them in the face for the arogance of it all.

I'm Welsh. We're obsessed with rugby and sheep. No hang on that's NZ.

The obsession in England is self hatred.

Last edited by Wilf; Sep 4th 2003 at 1:01 am.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 4:06 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Wilf
The word "whingeing" again Mega? I am keeping my eye on you and your one page dictionary.
Thought you liked balance.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

I just wish you would vary your attacks on poms a bit more. I am sure you can do better than just "whinger". I go to a lot of trouble to think of ways to knock Oz, can you not return the compliment?
Old Sep 4th 2003, 4:43 am
Banned

I just wish you would vary your attacks on poms a bit more. I am sure you can do better than just "whinger". I go to a lot of trouble to think of ways to knock Oz, can you not return the compliment?
Mangy & Flea Bitten bring back memories ? You would wilt to a grease spot if brought my full vocabulary to bear. I aim to singe not kill.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 4:48 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Fundamental difference: the old communist European states used sport to beat westerners and show the superiority of their political systems.

Australians love sport for sport's sake (and a by-product is that they are world-beaters). Look at the huge interest in sports unknown outside Aus, eg Aussie Rules Football or the Surf Lifesaving Associations. It's a genuine love of sport.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Mangy & Flea Bitten bring back memories ? You would wilt to a grease spot if brought my full vocabulary to bear. I aim to singe not kill.

Yes I remember, but what has the names of my two cats got to do with it anyway? The pen is mightier than the sword? I have regard for your abilities, but that is why I want to see a better range of weaponry.

Did you know that an anagram of your name is "A game nail"? Well, I have bashed you on the head my tacky friend and await your reply.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 5:13 am
Banned

Yes I remember, but what has the names of my two cats got to do with it anyway? The pen is mightier than the sword? I have regard for your abilities, but that is why I want to see a better range of weaponry.

Did you know that an anagram of your name is "A game nail"? Well, I have bashed you on the head my tacky friend and await your reply.
Already eaten thanks for the burnt proffering but. Also for fixing the hobnail in me boot.

Like saving me nukes for occassions which can be deemed justified by noble causes such as saving wee Poms from the deadly jaws of immigration to the Southern Waste Lands.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 10:21 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the UK and football - even though I don't think the UK is dull and uninteresting, how many kids these days could give a s**t about anything other than football, playstation etc. and they are the future of the country. A bit of a generalization there I know, but then you've got to admit that every country has its obsession.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:41 pm
tennisoz

On the subject of Australian obsession with sport, I loved the sign at the Davis Cup match between Australia and Britain in Sydney. It went something like 'The Poms used to come here over 200 years ago to get flogged ..... nothing's changed!!' The sign will probably reappear for the Rugby World Cup. I also liked the Mt Philippoussis, formerly Henman Hill sign at Wimbledon.

I love my sport so I won't enter the debate other than to say, so what, if you don't like it do something else - get a life. Perhaps rather than be obsessed with sport young Australians should behave like millions of Brits who invade places like Falariki each year? Someone said Britain has an obsession with the past and that is the case in sport - how many times is 1966, Fred Perry etc trotted out?

TennisOz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.