Sport?

Old Apr 21st 2004, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

The Hun is on a distinguished road
Question Sport?

Does anyone know what the main sports are in the Perth area? Are there any decent football, (soccer) teams out there? I think I recall a team call the Perth Glory playing Man United in Brazil in 2000, they any good? Or should I start looking at other sports, (sport mad, mainly soccer). Rugby League isn't too bad I suppose.........
Old Apr 21st 2004, 3:02 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sport?

Think you may be struggling mate.

Perth Glory are the football team in Perth (think they are one of the better teams) but it is still a small sport in Oz.

Dont think Perth have a RL team in the top flight either they are mainly from NSW with a couple from QLD and one from VIC.

Looks like you will have to follow Aussie rules (AFL) think that is the biggest sport on that side of the country.

I'm in the same situation when I get to Brissie think I will follow the Lions (AFL) and the Broncs (NRL).

TT

Originally posted by The Hun
Does anyone know what the main sports are in the Perth area? Are there any decent football, (soccer) teams out there? I think I recall a team call the Perth Glory playing Man United in Brazil in 2000, they any good? Or should I start looking at other sports, (sport mad, mainly soccer). Rugby League isn't too bad I suppose.........
Old Apr 21st 2004, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I don't like rugby/soccer/AFL etc. I don't like cricket in the UK either, but I reckon it might be a sociable thing to follow, or even play in Oz. I'd like to be able to have at least one team sport I can discuss at a barbie, and get involved in with my kid when he's old enough. Is it popular at local level? Everyone on this forum seems to be interested in versions of football.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 3:19 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I think Perth Glory are now defunct as are all other Aus Soccer teams. Next year sees the start of the New Australian Premier league & nobody knows what the teams will be yet. There hoping for at least one team from each city & one from New Zealand.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie rules, jeez. I don't know the 1st thing about that, isn't it a mixture of Gaelic football and something else?

Cricket might be the social thing to follow, (although it'd have to be 1 dayers, 4 dayers too long and boring!).

I was hoping there might be a RL team there but from the sounds of things it looks like I might have to get the Aussie rules code book out!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:18 pm
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

LaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud of

Never mind girlie softball (football) and coma ball (cricket) where the hell is rugby union played. Considering that the Oz RU team are the 2nd best in the world, it seems that only RL is mentioned or played (including in schools).

Do you get coverage of Moto GP and WSB out there too? I will seriously miss my two wheeled sport if not. Ah well! will have to get out on MY 2 wheels instead. I hope to get to Phillip Island one year.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by LaraandBryn
Never mind girlie softball (football) and coma ball (cricket) where the hell is rugby union played. Considering that the Oz RU team are the 2nd best in the world, it seems that only RL is mentioned or played (including in schools).

Do you get coverage of Moto GP and WSB out there too? I will seriously miss my two wheeled sport if not. Ah well! will have to get out on MY 2 wheels instead. I hope to get to Phillip Island one year.
Wouldn't mind watching union too if they play that in Perth, (to a decent level!).

As for RL, aren't the Aussies World Champs? I know they aren't in RU
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally posted by The Hun
Wouldn't mind watching union too if they play that in Perth, (to a decent level!).

As for RL, aren't the Aussies World Champs? I know they aren't in RU
If watching a bunch of blokes, poncing around an oval pitch, greased and dressed up like they're off to some high energy gay trance dance event, then Aussie Rules is probably for you......

If not, there's lots of cricket and a bit of football (soccer).
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:41 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Innyjim
If watching a bunch of blokes, poncing around an oval pitch, greased and dressed up like they're off to some high energy gay trance dance event, then Aussie Rules is probably for you......

If not, there's lots of cricket and a bit of football (soccer).
Would love to hear you say that in a pub in Melbourne on a Saturday afternoon. :scared:
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Bordy
Would love to hear you say that in a pub in Melbourne on a Saturday afternoon. :scared:
Oh come come now. Those tight shorts and cut off sleeves, they're definitely going for the pink vote !!!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:55 pm
The Godfather

Originally posted by Innyjim
Oh come come now. Those tight shorts and cut off sleeves, they're definitely going for the pink vote !!!
Yes true, it is a very soft game, idiots playing on after being knocked out or dislocating fingers etc etc. Not like the big hard men of soccer who roll around after a tap on the ankle.
You sure know your sport.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Bordy
Yes true, it is a very soft game, idiots playing on after being knocked out or dislocating fingers etc etc. Not like the big hard men of soccer who roll around after a tap on the ankle.
You sure know your sport.
I thought you had to be an idiot to play on with concusion or your fingers hanging out of sockets, not hard!

Anyway, the tight vests and shorts don't do it for me, maybe for people down the Village in Manchester...........

So it's not looking good at the moment, might have to be content with the footy on TV.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

OK then. Assume I haven't the first idea about cricket (and the comments on AFL dress sense have firmed up my resolve to have nothing to do with that sport! )

What can I do in the UK to learn about cricket that doesn't involve me actually going to a club?
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

If Aussie Rules jumpers are tight then what the hell have Tottenham Hotspur been wearing this season?!!! The shorts are no where near as tight as they used to be and any 'soccer' fan referring to it as being agy should take a look at some of the nancy boys running around in the various leagues around Europe.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jezdavies
If Aussie Rules jumpers are tight then what the hell have Tottenham Hotspur been wearing this season?!!! The shorts are no where near as tight as they used to be and any 'soccer' fan referring to it as being agy should take a look at some of the nancy boys running around in the various leagues around Europe.
Don't know mate, Spurs aren't on the TV much anymore, infact are they still playing ??!!
Ah, to be a Gooner.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.