Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship and nursing

Sponsorship and nursing

Old Jan 8th 2016, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Vickyandkids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsorship and nursing

Hi my brother is an Australian citizen and willing to sponsor me in Perth. I am finishing a nursing degree in the summer and hoping to move there. I'm 42 this year and have 3 children. Can anyone please advise me on where to start and the chance of finding a job. Many thanks 😊
Old Jan 8th 2016, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship and nursing

Family sponsorship only provides extra points. You still need to jump through the same hoops as general skilled migration, but family sponsorship adds extra hurdles.

The first thing you need to do is calculate your points. You need 60. You need to be careful about calculating points.

If you do go down the family route in order to get points - which you may need to do, it will depend on which state your brother lives in as to where you end up. I hope it is not WA.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. Why not WA?
Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Because the state government is broke so has just announced massive redundancies across WA health.

Also, be careful of QLD, which has similar issues and NT probably will have soon.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 12:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vickyandkids
Thanks for the reply. Why not WA?
From first hand experience in dealing with WA hospitals -WA does still have healthcare jobs available but its much harder than a year ago, and you may end up resorting to agnecy work for a while at least.
12/18 months ago it was very easy to walk into a job in healthcare there but now you have to prove your worth a lot more and it may take longer to get in. However, it Is still possible if yoare determined enough.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vickyandkids
Hi my brother is an Australian citizen and willing to sponsor me in Perth. I am finishing a nursing degree in the summer and hoping to move there. I'm 42 this year and have 3 children. Can anyone please advise me on where to start and the chance of finding a job. Many thanks 😊
Try to manage without family sponsorship, it should be an absolute last resort as leads to a lower quality visa with slower processing too. In any case if your brother lives in a metropolitan area he won't be able to sponsor you.

After you finish your degree you would need some work experience befre you can pass a skills assessment. I think alll you can do for now is see if you can make the points (could be hard actually), look int skills assessment and in a few months maybe look t take the academic IELTS test which will be required before skills assessment.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. Think I need to do some more homework!