Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SPONSORSHIP now or PR while in Australia

SPONSORSHIP now or PR while in Australia

Old Sep 9th 2003, 9:07 am
Just Joined

fruitball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SPONSORSHIP now or PR while in Australia

My wife is a nurse and has been sponsored to work in Australia on a 12 month contract. But I know when we all get there we won't want to come back to the UK. Does anyone know if it is easier to apply for PR whilst in Australia, or would it be easier to just go for the migration PR visa from the UK now? (we have the required points).

ANY feedback would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 9:23 am
owieb

Default Re: SPONSORSHIP now or PR while in Australia

Originally posted by fruitball
My wife is a nurse and has been sponsored to work in Australia on a 12 month contract. But I know when we all get there we won't want to come back to the UK. Does anyone know if it is easier to apply for PR whilst in Australia, or would it be easier to just go for the migration PR visa from the UK now? (we have the required points).

It doesn't make much difference whether you apply here or in the UK. With a skilled PR you have to be off-shore when it's issued, which is a real pain.

Personally I would get out and here whilst you have the chance and see what happens. You may live here for a year and not like it. But then your wifes contract may get extended, and you can always apply for a bridging visa etc if your PR hasn't come through.

In the meantime apply for your PR and hopefully everything will slot into place.

Old Sep 9th 2003, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

I was sponsored by my employers to come out to Oz on a Work Visa (457) with the understanding being that we would apply for PR once we got here (which we have now done - still waiting anxiously for PR visas).

However it is NOT a course of action that I would recommend. I have basically been at the mercy of my employers ever since I got here last year and have quite frankly been exploited very badly.

They know damn well that until we get our PR's our residency in Oz and my job (and my husband's job because of the residency issue) are all dependent on them and so I cannot out a foot wrong.

I get far more work to do than everyone else and get paid less and on the rare occasion that I have dared to complain have received thinly veiled threats about being able to stay.

There is too much jon pressure in Oz as it is without hinging all of that stuff on it as well.

Ofcourse it will be different when we get our PR's and I will delight in telling them what to do with their @#$%^ job but until then it is a very anxious, unsettled period. (You also can't a mortgage without PR, unlee you are prepared to put down a 35% deposit which is too much capital to tie up IMO).
Old Sep 9th 2003, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks for speedy reply. If we applied for PR in UK now but go over initially on a sponsorship, would we have to return to UK collect our PR visa (this would be a pain as we have 3 kids.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by owieb
It doesn't make much difference whether you apply here or in the UK. With a skilled PR you have to be off-shore when it's issued, which is a real pain.

Personally I would get out and here whilst you have the chance and see what happens. You may live here for a year and not like it. But then your wifes contract may get extended, and you can always apply for a bridging visa etc if your PR hasn't come through.

In the meantime apply for your PR and hopefully everything will slot into place.

There are no bridging visas on 457 visas - once they or your work contract expire (whichever comes first) you have to get out of the country until your PR is issued.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Sunnlover, what is your Job in Oz? Sounds like you're having a rough time. Mrs fruitball is getting scared now...
Old Sep 9th 2003, 9:35 am
owieb

Thanks for speedy reply. If we applied for PR in UK now but go over initially on a sponsorship, would we have to return to UK collect our PR visa (this would be a pain as we have 3 kids.
No you have to be off-shore, which depending on where you live in Australia could be Singapore, New Zealand, Fiji etc.

Everyone has to go and the process can take up to a week or even longer, though most seem to get done within 5 days.

Old Sep 9th 2003, 9:39 am
owieb

Originally posted by Sunlover
There are no bridging visas on 457 visas - once they or your work contract expire (whichever comes first) you have to get out of the country until your PR is issued.
My mistake, I'm on a 457ie and can extend for an extra 2 years.

Old Sep 9th 2003, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunnlover, what is your Job in Oz? Sounds like you're having a rough time. Mrs fruitball is getting scared now...
Without wishing to sound horribly pessimistic she is right to be scared. A number of people that I know have experienced the same problems that I have.

I work for an international financial services company whom I had worked for in London and North America before I came here. I had always been very well treated and knew and liked the company.

But when I got to Oz it was a completely different story.

It is so bad that we have even considered leaving here and going back to UK or Canada until our PR's come through.

Your wife will be working for employers she knows nothing about. Her situation could be even worse than mine and she would not be able to leave if she hated it (until you got your PR's which could take a long time).

Also what would happen if her contract ran out before your PR's were issued ? (Unlikely but possible).

My advice is Don't Do It - unless you are prepared to risk having to go back before your PR's are issued.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:21 am
Just Joined

auto is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
My wife is also a nurse and we have come over on a 12 month visa. We decided to stay and applied for PR this was granted we just need to leave and pick up our visa. We applied on our own not using an agent or sponsor it worked out okay. If you take a sponsored PR you do not need to leave the country you just go to the nearest mission, but you are tied to a work contract for 3 years and also have to use a agent.
Hope this helps
Auto
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that Auto. Are you and your wife enjoying OZ? and did she find work through an agency?
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that Auto. Are you and your wife enjoying OZ? and did she find work through an agency?
Hi
Yes we are enjoying Oz, we are in Melbourne. The wife came out with an agency but is now direct with the hospital.
What part of OZ are you heading for?
Also when you come over bring your police check forms, these are the only thing that held us up, it took 6 weeks to get them back from the UK
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Auto. I'll sort those police check forms out asap
We are heading for North Queensland, probably Townsville. How are you finding Melbourne?
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Auto. I'll sort those police check forms out asap
We are heading for North Queensland, probably Townsville. How are you finding Melbourne?
Melbourne is just starting to warm up now, winter reminds us of the UK but the summer is brill. People are friendly and easy going.
Best bit about Melbourne is the F1 race, we went this year great few days out. There always seems to be something going on, although I can't get into this OZ football, thank god for sbs channel and the UK football.
We have beeen to Cairns for a visit very nice place, and very warm.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

suec is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fruitball,

We are also looking at going to Oz on a work visa. Husband is nurse - currently exploring the work avenue with Eden Health (Australian/New Zealand agency). Everything looks above board - but you never know!!!

How did you go about finding work? We also are looking at the Brisbane area.

Also I would like to work while we are there (helps my sanity!!!) Does anybody know about registered childminders in Australia. (What was I talking about -more like insanity!)

So many questions !!!!!!!

Sue C.

Last edited by suec; Sep 9th 2003 at 12:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.