Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship- From Employers Perspective

Sponsorship- From Employers Perspective

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default Sponsorship- From Employers Perspective

I have been asked by my employer to look into possibly arranging to employ someone from the UK via an employer sponsored visa.

Has any one had any experience of this from an employers perspective, ie is there much work or cost involved.

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:21 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship- From Employers Perspective

Have not read any posts to that effect but check out booklet 5 on the DIMIA site as I believe it covers requirements for employers and employees.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/emp...ex.htm#summary

Also may be worth posting your question on the Immigration forum.

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=32
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

simsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nice

Hi jwinch,

I am not am employer, but this is my understanding (correct me somebody if I`m wrong),and the implications in repect to Employer Nomination (ENS).....

There are no major financial/legal risks for the company when applying for an Employer Nomination and for the Prospective employee to apply for the visa, other than the fact that the Employer does the work in making the application (A lot of Form Filling), and if it did not go through they would lose the application monies (Approx $400) and the time spent on the application.

Many employers prefer to sponsor people for the 457 Temporary Business Entry visa which is a 4 year visa. This is preferable for the employer because the employee is tied to the employer and cannot leave that employer or they then lose their visa and either have to leave Australia or find another sponsor quickly. So that type of visa is better for the employer but the permanent Employer Nomination visa Sub Class 121, is better for the prospective Employee.

If the Employee leaves the employer (Under a 121 Visa) you will still have a visa and be able to work for someone else.

Employers may want to try and get the prospective Employee to sign a long term employment contract (with penalties if they breach it), when nominating someone for the permanent Employer Nomination subclass 121 visa.

Nomination would normally take somewhere between 6 weeks and 3 months to be approved in Australia and then the visa application which would be by the prospective Employee (Approx $1500) a similar timeframe in the UK.

Good Luck,

Hope you decide to go with it.

Simsy.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:53 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Many employers prefer to sponsor people for the 457 Temporary Business Entry visa which is a 4 year visa. Simsy.[/QUOTE]

Bear in mind, timescale can vary between 2 to 4 years depending on the term of the contract the company gives you when applying. For instance, ours was a 2 year contract on our 457 visa.

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

Any idea on the timescales it takes to process these visas ?
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simsy
Many employers prefer to sponsor people for the 457 Temporary Business Entry visa which is a 4 year visa. This is preferable for the employer because the employee is tied to the employer and cannot leave that employer or they then lose their visa and either have to leave Australia or find another sponsor quickly. So that type of visa is better for the employer but the permanent Employer Nomination visa Sub Class 121, is better for the prospective Employee.
Unless the job is clearly time limited and it's intended the person leaves Australia after a few years (eg a multinational secondment), any *good* employer should look at the permanent visa as a first choice.

The 457 visa entails additional costs for medical and school fee costs (in NSW anyway) that have to be picked up by someone. Also, a 457 visa will probably require renewal which means hassle for the employer. If they want to keep the employee, and some health problem has occurred in the family (or something which disqualifies for permanent residence), this may not be possible if the employee is on a 457.

I'd also point out that a good employer should look to have contented employees (who will generally be more productive) - and an employee who's concerned about his future in Australia may not be able to give the job 100%.

If hiring for a permanent position - the only responsible sponsorship is one for a permanent visa. Unless there's some specific reason why a permanent visa is not possible, in which case the employer should be willing to pick up the tab for all extra costs incurred by the 457 visa holder.

There are competent agents dealing in employer nomination in every Australian city and unless the employer is familiar with the process it's well worth hiring one. ENS visas can be tricky and many DIY applications get botched (sometimes a professional can fix this, sometimes there's a long delay or a refusal). Also, ENS requirements are likely to change soon and a professional will be able to advise on this in detail.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 23rd 2005 at 12:34 am.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:25 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unless the job is clearly time limited and it's intended the person leaves Australia after a few years (eg a multinational secondment), any *good* employer should look at the permanent visa as a first choice.

The 457 visa entails additional costs for medical and school fee costs (in NSW anyway) that have to be picked up by someone. Also, a 457 visa will probably require renewal which means hassle for the employer. If they want to keep the employee, and some health problem has occurred in the family (or something which disqualifies for permanent residence), this may not be possible if the employee is on a 457.

I'd also point out that a good employer should look to have contented employees (who will generally be more productive) - and an employee who's concerned about his future in Australia may not be able to give the job 100%.

If hiring for a permanent position - the only responsible sponsorship is one for a permanent visa. Unless there's some specific reason why a permanent visa is not possible, in which case the employer should be willing to pick up the tab for all extra costs incurred by the 457 visa holder.

There are competent agents dealing in employer nomination in every Australian city and unless the employer is familiar with the process it's well worth hiring one. ENS visas can be tricky and many DIY applications get botched (sometimes a professional can fix this, sometimes there's a long delay or a refusal). Also, ENS requirements are likely to change soon and a professional will be able to advise on this in detail.

Jeremy
Hi there
I am coming to Oz in May/June on a 2yr 457 visa. Having picked up this thread, I note that extra medical and school costs will be appliccable (as we are going to Sydney).
This was not something I had heard of before (and especially not from my future employer) and am concerned, although my daughter is only 18 months at the moment. What sort of costs might we have to pay because if this?
Should I try and take this up with my employer, or maybe begin a PR application as soon as we arrive?
Also, as we are selling our house in the UK, will we still be eligibel for LAFH?
Hope you can help

Steve
Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich
Hi there
I am coming to Oz in May/June on a 2yr 457 visa. Having picked up this thread, I note that extra medical and school costs will be appliccable (as we are going to Sydney).
This was not something I had heard of before (and especially not from my future employer) and am concerned, although my daughter is only 18 months at the moment. What sort of costs might we have to pay because if this?
If you're not PRs by the time she's of school age then you're looking at fees of AUD4.5k per year for her.

Should I try and take this up with my employer, or maybe begin a PR application as soon as we arrive?
If medical costs are not part of your employment package, then you need to start urgently talking to your employer. You may or may not be able to get reciprocal Medicare under the scheme for UK visitors, but its scope is limited.

As for PR - it's never too soon to start the process as long as you're eligible. Are your employers committed to sponsor you? Also be aware that the Employer Nomination rules are going to change quite fundamentally at the start of April - this may make things either easier or harder for you, but there could well be some Sydney-specific restrictions to contend with.

Also, as we are selling our house in the UK, will we still be eligibel for LAFH?
Hope you can help

Steve
Get some professional advice on the LAHFA issue.

Jeremy
Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:49 pm
JJ

JJ will become famous soon enoughJJ will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Sponsorship- From Employers Perspective

Are you still online?
If so I don't want to come accross as thick but have recieved e-mail nitification of replys to my questions on various threads but i don;t know how to view them plese help a newbie
Old Mar 25th 2005, 9:16 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Jody+Jo
Are you still online?
If so I don't want to come accross as thick but have recieved e-mail nitification of replys to my questions on various threads but i don;t know how to view them plese help a newbie
Allo me ansome.

Tis all bit confussing ta start wid me dear aint it ?

Well see all ya gotta do is click on the blue coloured link under da bit dat says "This thread is located at" and it automatically takes you to the thread.
Bloody fine thing dis techy stuff eh yu ?