Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship by an employer

Wikiposts

Sponsorship by an employer

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all
Default Re: Sponsorship by an employer

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Just to let you know. it is a 457 they are offering. Should I ask for a PR visa?

Can my kids get free education on a 457 or do I need to pay for schooling?

If I am sponsored for PR, will I have to work for that employer for ever more? In which case, should we take the bull by the horns and just go for the application for PR ourselves?

Please help. I'm so confused and worried!!!
bounce
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:59 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, let's try.

Most people that go on 457 temp visas have the ultimate aim of obtaining PR status after reaching Aus. This is usually a conversion to a full PR sponsorship visa either RSMS or ENS....or an independant skilled PR visa.

Basically a 457 gives you no rights other than to pay full Aus tax rates. It ties you to the sponsor for the duration of the visa. One exception is if you find another sponsor to "take over" the sponsorship but that company would have to go through the full approval and application process. It's not something anyone wants to be doing.

The 457 can work very well and I think people like it as it enables them to get to Aus earlier than waiting for a skilled visa for example. In my case the only way to PR is through sponsorship so I took the 457 route to get there quickly and am now applying for RSMS (PR) status. I made sure this was all negotiated and in writing before coming though so the employer could not renage.

What people are saying here is that you do not need to risk being mucked around. You are a nurse and they are on preferential status for getting visas so are usually fast-tracked. It is therefore far better for you to go the full independant route if you can wait.

On a 457 your kids will be treated as international students and pay the maximum. How much that is varies between states.

On a 457 you are wholly tied to the sponsor and if anything went wrong you would have to leave the country within 28 days.
On a RSMS you are tied to the sponsor for 2 years and if anything goes wrong you can stay in Aus as long as you have done all possible to honour the terms.
On an ENS you are not tied at all by DIMIA but the sponsor has to guarantee it is a job of minimum 3 years so would perhaps have you contracted for that time.

Hope that helps.

Next stage is perhaps for you to put a new post up directed at nurses. State what qualifications you have and ask if they think full PR would be "simple".

Good luck
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Next stage is perhaps for you to put a new post up directed at nurses. State what qualifications you have and ask if they think full PR would be "simple".

Good luck
I cannot understand why any nurse would choose the hassle of a temporary visa as opposed to getting a permanent one.

If a hospital won't sponsor for PR, then I'd tell them 'no deal' and if they refused to change their mind either look for another employer or forget the idea and go for skilled independent instead. Either way, arrive in Australia with full PR from Day 1.

Of course what exact strategy should be deployed depends on one's age, skill/experience profile, family in Australia, location flexibility etc.

Jeremy
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
I cannot understand why any nurse would choose the hassle of a temporary visa as opposed to getting a permanent one.

If a hospital won't sponsor for PR, then I'd tell them 'no deal' and if they refused to change their mind either look for another employer or forget the idea and go for skilled independent instead. Either way, arrive in Australia with full PR from Day 1.

Of course what exact strategy should be deployed depends on one's age, skill/experience profile, family in Australia, location flexibility etc.

Jeremy
I would love to go on PR visa, but I have no choice as I only score 110 points, 115 if I could get an employer to sponsor me. For me I just want to get there and hang on when I do. Do you suggest when I get an offer of employment for my temp visa that I ask if they will go PR after a certain time? would it be acceptable to ask for this in writing?
I am at the moment in the process of waiting for job interviews (through Geneva)....have you any advice on this...what should I be looking for/
cheers
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s/nurse
I would love to go on PR visa, but I have no choice as I only score 110 points, 115 if I could get an employer to sponsor me.
No choice? Have you counted MODL points plus the extra for a job offer (if you're a nurse)?
(remember for points tested migration you need to meet basic requirements also)

Have you thought about getting state sponsorship for a Skill Matching or STNI visa?

Have you thought about looking harder for an employer prepared to sponsor for a permanent visa through ENS/RSMS (this might mean looking outside the major cities)?

Have you thought about waiting longer in the UK to qualify for points tested migration?

Jeremy
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=JAJ]No choice? Have you counted MODL points plus the extra for a job offer (if you're a nurse)?
(remember for points tested migration you need to meet basic requirements also)

Have you thought about getting state sponsorship for a Skill Matching or STNI visa?

Have you thought about looking harder for an employer prepared to sponsor for a permanent visa through ENS/RSMS (this might mean looking outside the major cities)?

Have you thought about waiting longer in the UK to qualify for points tested migration?

can't wait much longer I am 43.
points work out
60 (nurse)
15 (age)
20 (English language)
15 - 20 (depending on if I have a job offer)
5 (possibly could get this for spouse skills)
If we go outside a City it means hubby might not be able to work ( by trade he is a sheet metal worker, but has not been in the trade for 2 years) he curretly works as a quality auditor in a can making factory
any suggstions are gratefuly recieved
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bix
Okay, let's try.

Most people that go on 457 temp visas have the ultimate aim of obtaining PR status after reaching Aus. This is usually a conversion to a full PR sponsorship visa either RSMS or ENS....or an independant skilled PR visa.

Basically a 457 gives you no rights other than to pay full Aus tax rates. It ties you to the sponsor for the duration of the visa. One exception is if you find another sponsor to "take over" the sponsorship but that company would have to go through the full approval and application process. It's not something anyone wants to be doing.

The 457 can work very well and I think people like it as it enables them to get to Aus earlier than waiting for a skilled visa for example. In my case the only way to PR is through sponsorship so I took the 457 route to get there quickly and am now applying for RSMS (PR) status. I made sure this was all negotiated and in writing before coming though so the employer could not renage.

What people are saying here is that you do not need to risk being mucked around. You are a nurse and they are on preferential status for getting visas so are usually fast-tracked. It is therefore far better for you to go the full independant route if you can wait.

On a 457 your kids will be treated as international students and pay the maximum. How much that is varies between states.

On a 457 you are wholly tied to the sponsor and if anything went wrong you would have to leave the country within 28 days.
On a RSMS you are tied to the sponsor for 2 years and if anything goes wrong you can stay in Aus as long as you have done all possible to honour the terms.
On an ENS you are not tied at all by DIMIA but the sponsor has to guarantee it is a job of minimum 3 years so would perhaps have you contracted for that time.

Hope that helps.

Good luck
Thanks again for the info.
Much appreciated.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 11:33 am
JAJ
Retired

can't wait much longer I am 43.
points work out
60 (nurse)
15 (age)
20 (English language)
15 - 20 (depending on if I have a job offer)
5 (possibly could get this for spouse skills)
If we go outside a City it means hubby might not be able to work ( by trade he is a sheet metal worker, but has not been in the trade for 2 years) he curretly works as a quality auditor in a can making factory
any suggstions are gratefuly recieved
So presumably you're recently qualified. You still seem to have a possibility of 120 points if you meet the basic requirements for work experience.

Adelaide is RSMS eligible and your husband ought to be able to find work there. Or you could try Geelong in Victoria (which is within commuting distance to Melbourne), which is also RSMS eligible. There is no work experience requirement for RSMS sponsorship by an employer.

Try Skill Matching - if you have 6 months skilled work experience, and get a state nomination from South Australia, Victoria or Tasmania, then there's no points test to worry about. You just have to live in the state for 2 years but you have full PR rights.

You could live in Melbourne with a Skill Matching visa.

You do have options that you can consider without having to endure the risks/hassles of a temporary work visa.

Jeremy
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
So presumably you're recently qualified. You still seem to have a possibility of 120 points if you meet the basic requirements for work experience.

Adelaide is RSMS eligible and your husband ought to be able to find work there. Or you could try Geelong in Victoria (which is within commuting distance to Melbourne), which is also RSMS eligible. There is no work experience requirement for RSMS sponsorship by an employer.

Try Skill Matching - if you have 6 months skilled work experience, and get a state nomination from South Australia, Victoria or Tasmania, then there's no points test to worry about. You just have to live in the state for 2 years but you have full PR rights.

You could live in Melbourne with a Skill Matching visa.

You do have options that you can consider without having to endure the risks/hassles of a temporary work visa.

Jeremy
How do you go about skill matching? does sound like a possibility. However we have our hearts set on Brisbane and hubby and daughter want to take the risk, but I think it would be worth looking into.
I have been qualified for 18 months (ICU).
Cheers
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 11:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

How do you go about skill matching? does sound like a possibility. However we have our hearts set on Brisbane and hubby and daughter want to take the risk, but I think it would be worth looking into.
I have been qualified for 18 months (ICU).
Cheers
Skill Matching. First choose which state you prefer, South Australia, Victoria or Tasmania. Apply for a state nomination (state websites are in the 'Useful Australia Links' thread) and once obtained, you can apply for the Skill Matching visa (you can apply before getting a state nomination, but usually there's no reason unless about to turn 45). Same form as for skilled independent, just tick the box Class BR - subclass 134 instead.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...l_matching.htm
You still need an ANMC assessment.

If you're still confused on the process - you need an agent.

If you're desperate to go to Brisbane, you should be looking at MODL points with a job offer plus either spouse skills or capital investment points to get to 120.

The 457 visa is really a risky strategy - lots of people have had problems when the job doesn't work out or other issues arise after arrival - if you must go down this route read the thread '457 Visa Risks' at the top of the forum.

Jeremy